PDA

View Full Version : controller question?

Lincutis
07/05/2013, 04:38 PM
I am assembling my tank now. It is in the living room with a sump below the tank. My question is, would it be better to put the Controller on the outside of the stand or inside. Has anyone had trouble with the controller in the stand?

kriv4o
07/05/2013, 08:29 PM
What kind of controller are we talking about.
A lot of people put it on the out side so they can check on vital parameters with just taking a look at the screen instead of opening doors. and looking in.

Tickle
07/05/2013, 08:37 PM
Typically I like to have the head unit in a visible accessible place. Obviously the power bars and other equipment go in the cabinet. Word of warning though, even though most of the controllers are built for a "marine environment" try to keep them in a very dry place. I had a advance light module for a reef keeper go to hell on me just from sheer humidity.

Lincutis
07/05/2013, 09:51 PM
What kind of controller are we talking about.
A lot of people put it on the out side so they can check on vital parameters with just taking a look at the screen instead of opening doors. and looking in.

It's an Apex base unit.

mcgyvr
07/06/2013, 07:17 AM
people routinely run into salt creep/moisture buildup/corrosion with power strips/outlets inside their stands..
These issues "can" lead to a fire..

When I built my stand I created a separate compartment with "fresh air" circulation to prevent it overheating that I could mount all my electronics into.. That way all the wires run through a small hole I sealed with some foam into the electrical compartment and all stays dry/safe but is still hidden behind the stand panels.