PDA

View Full Version : SpectraPure RO/DI System ?

toky916
07/05/2013, 08:03 PM
So I'm I'm in the thought of getting the SpectraPure Refurbished 90-GPD 4-Stage RO/DI System.

I had a few questions regarding this unit.

First off anyone who bought this unit think its worth to get the refurbished one ?

Then I have another problem that's been setting me off in getting an RODI system I have no place to put it.
Not under the sink not to the by the water heater place.

So main question is only other place I was thinking was outside. We have a gazebo/patio there is a garden hose & fish tank is right in the next room.

Would the filters be fine outside and connecting and disconnecting the rodi unit to the hose make any problems for me ?

Thanks would really appreciate the advice and see who had a unit outside.

fltekdiver
07/05/2013, 08:47 PM
From what I read online, you can't tell the difference between their refurbished ones or a new one.

One thing to consider, I believe the one your looking at doesn't have a automatic shut off

I just bought the 5 stage with dual TDS meters last week for $245 shipped, to get the dual TDS meters and auto shut off.

The directions say not to leave in direct sunlight, and avoid freezing temps

I have mine in my garage, opposite end of the house to my DT tank, and. The waste goes down my washer machine line. I use the rv marine hose right. Now, but am going to tap into a cold line this weekend

These units work best running making water longer times, then start/stop in short increments

If you do use a garden hose, just make sure you use the rv drinkable hose

bambam918
07/05/2013, 09:08 PM
I recently purchased their 4 stage with dual TDS. Awesome unit and works great. I placed my above my washing machine and have the wast going down the waste pipe for the washer. I used a brass t valve so both the RODI unit and washer can be hooked up at the same time

toky916
07/05/2013, 09:32 PM
Well since live in CA the unit would be placed in the shade under the gazebo. Only worried thing would be winter freazing but maybe remove it.

I would buy a brute can and make about 30-50 gal every two weeks that would last me quite a while since water change i would bump up to 15 gal & 5 gal a week for topoff. Would last me 3-4 weeks.

I'm on a budget so I don't mind for the auto shut off yet .

pete33
07/07/2013, 10:39 AM
I have a 44 gallon brute on the side of my house and once a month pull my unit out of storage (inside the house), hook it up outside and let it fill up, then pack it away again till needed.

toky916
07/07/2013, 11:48 AM
I have a 44 gallon brute on the side of my house and once a month pull my unit out of storage (inside the house), hook it up outside and let it fill up, then pack it away again till needed.

Well thanks that's what I was planing to do.

tallball158
07/07/2013, 01:45 PM
If the unit is out in the sun, and hot water goes through the membrane, it will ruin it. Just something to think about. People have used water hoses laying in the sun to supply water to their units, and it had ruined the membrane.

pete33
07/07/2013, 02:22 PM
I agree. Make sure you are flushing your hose. My unit is 15 months old and still using original membrane and DI resin and still reading 0 TDS. However, I change out the carbon and prefilters every 6 months.

toky916
07/07/2013, 02:23 PM
If the unit is out in the sun, and hot water goes through the membrane, it will ruin it. Just something to think about. People have used water hoses laying in the sun to supply water to their units, and it had ruined the membrane.

What about letting out the hot water out of the hose then running it . The hose is next to the side of the hose where the Gazebo is so only like 2 feet is exposed to sun. Thinking of getting a separate hose also white one instead of the black rubber one.

I drive to far to get RODI for water changed and limits how much I could change at one time.

toky916
07/07/2013, 06:24 PM
What about letting out the hot water out of the hose then running it . The hose is next to the side of the hose where the Gazebo is so only like 2 feet is exposed to sun. Thinking of getting a separate hose also white one instead of the black rubber one.

I drive to far to get RODI for water changed and limits how much I could change at one time.

My local LFS sells spectapure pre filters and color changing DI membrane for $40
All 4 so that's a good deal no shipping.