PDA

View Full Version : Maxi vs Mini. Are there actually two?

chasethis1
07/06/2013, 09:59 AM
Can someone please shed some light on this for me?
I am reading and seeing more separation of these two and I am just wondering what the deal is. I have several that I have purchased as both. They look the same, behave the same, hang out together, they arent big movers. The largest, the first purchase is about 6" when it feels like really stretching out. Most of the time it is about 3 to 4". Pretty basic green, a little more color depending on the day. This one has spawned at the same time as another. Smaller, orange/green, I purchased this one as a maxi. It has grown to just about the same size as the first.

I would also like to see pictures of successful propagation as well as here about those that are having success. There are loads of videos and pictures of how to cut them up and not so much on the after affects. How many survived from how many cuts, etc. I know how to cut something to bits.

I tend to be drawn to the smaller types of corals and inverts so these guys are pretty cool in my book.

SNAKEMANVET
07/06/2013, 11:15 AM
Maxi mini get bigger at around 6'' to 8'' across.The minis only get around 3'' across and split.

chasethis1
07/07/2013, 04:43 PM
Ok, this is a little vague. I was hoping for a little more detailed info. Thank you though for your input.

Hypnotize
07/07/2013, 06:40 PM
Ok, this is a little vague. I was hoping for a little more detailed info. Thank you though for your input.

thats all the info there rly is besides that maxi are sexed so there are males and females but you can only tell by seening them spwan

NanoJosh
07/07/2013, 09:29 PM
I have a couple maxis and have done endless searches on the mini and apparently the mini is more rare and as expensive as a large carpet. But I'm with you I'd love to have more info on these guys too. Does anybody on RC have a mini or pics of one?

tunicata
07/07/2013, 09:55 PM
oh wow, i didnt know they were two different things. I have like 10 maxi minis in my tank. purple, blue, red, goldish. very cute.

bradleym
07/07/2013, 10:19 PM
There are only 2 varieties of mini that I am aware of. One is a common purple/green mix that tends to sell for around $10. The other is a recently distributed red with green center which typically sells for $50-100. They both split about once a month under good conditions and never get over 3 inches.

bradleym
07/07/2013, 10:24 PM
I have a couple maxis and have done endless searches on the mini and apparently the mini is more rare and as expensive as a large carpet. But I'm with you I'd love to have more info on these guys too. Does anybody on RC have a mini or pics of one?

Both are pictured here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2280386

SNAKEMANVET
07/08/2013, 06:13 AM
The red with green mouth are a little pricey,mine cost around $80.00,but now I have traded 4 and still have 3 left.

Hypnotize
07/08/2013, 11:20 AM
the red mini carpet is even another sp. so there are 3 typs

chasethis1
07/09/2013, 04:28 AM
I would love to see the information that would shed some light on these three different species or subspecies. Some clear pictures of the two or three for comparison etc.

OrionN
07/09/2013, 07:57 AM
My mini never get larger than .75 inch. They split like crazy.

bradleym
07/09/2013, 09:16 AM
My mini never get larger than .75 inch. They split like crazy.

Minh, you're adding a whole other element that I had completely forgotten about. Everybody, let's start back at square one so we're all on the same page. Check out my picture for reference.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yf_IK5msYMk/Udwld-clapI/AAAAAAAADAc/K-ypM3WToQ8/s800/Mini%2520Carpets.jpg

Now then, size wise, there are three types of "mini" carpets that I am aware of (this has nothing to do with species, I'm sure there are more than one kind of each size).

A is your average popular "Maxi Mini Carpet". It typically gets up to 6 inches across, and rarely (if ever) splits on it's own, but can be successfully split manually.

B is the one most commonly referred to as "Mini Carpet" when referenced online. It typically gets up to 3 inches but never more, and splits about once a month.

C is what Minh is talking about. This one, for lack of a better option, I have been referring to as a "Micro Carpet". They never get over an inch across and split weekly if treated well. I started with one that I fed a Mysis shrimp every other day for two weeks, and then it suddenly exploded into 9 over a 3-week period.

I hope this will put everybody on the same page as far as what we're talking about. And if there's another size I don't know about, PLEASE POST PICS!!! :)

NanoJosh
07/09/2013, 11:29 AM
Awesome thread I live my maxis now ill be on the hunt for minis. Anybody have some in the central Florida area.

55 gal mixed reef 10 gal SPS Dom.
10 gal nem tank 2 maxi minis 2 rock flower and one sunburst RBTA

Sent from some device using some app

chasethis1
07/09/2013, 12:07 PM
BradleyM,

Thank you for sharing this image and information, your post has helped to clear up this issue a little and created another. Now I want some of these macro minis. Here are a few images of what I have in my DT now. Not the best but what do you want from a phone?

OrionN
07/09/2013, 12:43 PM
I agree that there are three, at least, types the Micro Mini, Mini and Maxi Mini.<O:p</O:p
I am sure if we spend the resource, we will find out that these are three separated species. I don't think the expert scientists have more experiences some of us here have regarding some species of anemones.<O:p</O:p
No one in their right mind can classify these three groups of anemones as one species.

bradleym
07/09/2013, 03:52 PM
I agree that there are three, at least, types the Micro Mini, Mini and Maxi Mini.<O:p</O:p
I am sure if we spend the resource, we will find out that these are three separated species. I don't think the expert scientists have more experiences some of us here have regarding some species of anemones.<O:p</O:p
No one in their right mind can classify these three groups of anemones as one species.

+1 even without any dissection or genetic workups, it was evident in my tank that they were very different species, even after living months side-by-side as shown.

chasethis1
07/11/2013, 07:57 AM
This has been pretty informative. Thank you for sharing.