PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Eyed Kole Tang Overeating?

smande00
07/06/2013, 04:14 PM
Is it possible for Kole tangs to overeat? I recently added a blue spotted sharpnose puffer to my tank and was attempting to feed him for the first time.

He's a little shy when I drop pellets and flakes due to the tangs and chromis going nuts at feeding time, so I figured I'd drop pellets and let those guys eat and then drop half a shrimp in for the puffer after everyone else had eaten.

Well things didn't really go as planned and the Kole tang basically dragged around half a shrimp for the next 10 minutes slowly ripping it apart. Just seems like an awful lot of food for a not all that large fish. Do I need to be concerned about the volume of food it's putting away? Not terribly worried about the puffer, it did manage to get a couple of bites in.

Rea17
07/06/2013, 04:21 PM
IME tangs will eat as much as you will feed them, never seen any harm done. They will get fat though :) As long as your puffer is getting enough to eat I wouldn't be concerned.

MrTuskfish
07/06/2013, 05:30 PM
IME tangs will eat as much as you will feed them, never seen any harm done. They will get fat though :) As long as your puffer is getting enough to eat I wouldn't be concerned.

+1 The only fish I worry about are overfeeding are lionfish and other gulping-type predators.

smande00
07/06/2013, 06:06 PM
Guess I can look forward to one very fat tang then! Thanks for feedback!

Dog boy Dave
07/07/2013, 09:09 AM
I always feed broccoli or nori to my fish before i feed them their meat. Otherwise, the more aggressive fish will always get the lions share and you end up overfeeding in order to feed the slow ones. Also hand feeding helps.