PDA

View Full Version : RBTA Split. Need Advice.

LuckyInker
07/07/2013, 09:14 AM
Hi guys,
I am headed out of town tomorrow and will be leaving my reef tank in the hands of my awesome wife. I just found out that my RBTA split today but had some quick questions as I have yet to manage or experience this neat phenomenon.

My tank is a stable 65g predominant SPS reef tank. I am running 4 t5 bulbs, two 150w HQI MH bulbs, and 12 royal blue CREE LEDs. My params are:

temp: 78.5 - 79 degrees
nitrate: 0
nitrite: 0
phosphate: 0
salinity: 34 (1.025)
pH: 7.8 low at night, 8.12 during day

The most recent change I made was moving a very large montipora the anemone was/is attached to. It was moved to the bottom of the tank in an effort to get it to attach to my rockwork in order for me to frag the monti.

This monring I moved the monti after noticing the anemone's foot was attached to the glass. What I didn't notice was that it was in the process of splitting. When I moved the monti, the anemone was 'pulled apart' at a small piece of flesh. It recoiled and of course I can see the tale tale stringy 'guts'. One side of the split anemone has encircled the damaged spot. Both pieces are still very full and appear just fine, although I am sure that is no sign that they are. In fact, as I type I can see the one anemone slowly moving its foot to find a better place to recover as it is still on the glass.

Here is my issue. I am headed out of town on Monday for work. While my wive has said she could 'get them out', I know she hates taking care of my tank when I am away. If things head south I would need her to remove the nem and do a water change. But is that necessary right now?

Should I wait until I return from my trip (Thursday evening) or take a proactive approach?

TLDR: My nem split, I accidentally pulled them apart (small piece of flesh) when moving a coral and one appars to be stringy (guts) but appears to be full and moving across the tank just fine. Do I take them out or wait until I return on Thrusday?

t4zalews
07/08/2013, 07:08 AM
I have a bubble tip split on the glass before and as you can see the sqirleys in its stomach were all over, if it looks like this your fine. I wouldnt yank it, but pictures are always easier to make an assessment.

worm5406
07/08/2013, 08:44 PM
She is going to have to send you daily pictures so that you can post on here.

LuckyInker
07/09/2013, 08:01 AM
So far, so good. My biggest concern is where the new anemone ends up. The report from my wife is that both look fine.

And Taylor, yes, they both appear to have the same 'sqirleys' as the picture you provided. Thanks!

sjwitt
07/12/2013, 04:31 PM
They look terrible when splitting ... leave them alone. I'm sure they will be fine. They are looking to find a place to hide for a while so they can heal. Then they will probably come out and look lop-sided for a little while.