PDA

View Full Version : what about Leds in a softietank?

miranda60
07/07/2013, 12:16 PM
My tank is completly softcorals running with 4 xT5 39 watt... now i am thinking to buy led (vertex illumina 260) i am not in any position to move the corals on the buttom or on the edge..(see pic tank) Is its possible to run those with leds or better stay by T5? i am thinking about heatburning of the corals..
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y432/timmieenmiranda/DSC00638_zpsab98109c.jpg (http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/timmieenmiranda/media/DSC00638_zpsab98109c.jpg.html)

Ron Reefman
07/07/2013, 12:42 PM
First let me say that you have one very sweet looking softie tank. Very cool.

You're tank is 3' long tank, right? And the how long would the led you buy be? $625 for just 1', $1220 for 2' and $1770 for 3' are you kidding me? Why? There are a bunch of less expensive led fixtures that are better! These are only 2 shades of blue and one white, that's so out of date. You can get a 32", full spectrum led with a controller that is still way more than your corals need, for $449. Why do you want to throw money away on out of date lights? OceanRevive sells EverGrow fixtures. Get an IT2080 for $449 delivered. I have 2 ov them over my 180g sps, lps and sofie tank and they run at 90% blue and 50% white so they are plenty strong enough.

As for burning your corals, just set the sunrise and sunset cycles longer at first and do a shorter peak that is low enough that the corals are OK (maybe about 30% power with a 5 hour sunrise, a 3-4 hour midday and a 5 hour sunset. I've had mine for 6 months now and do a 4 hour sunrise, 5 hour midday (at 90% & 50%) and 5 hour sunset. Even the sps are growing just fine!

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/RonReefman/P5210003R1_zps6fe75a20.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/user/RonReefman/media/P5210003R1_zps6fe75a20.jpg.html)

slief
07/07/2013, 12:59 PM
They will work just fine for softies. I am running four Reeftech Prometheus LED's over my tank which is mostly softies and everything is doing just fine. I had originally considered the Vertex Illumina's but cost and availablility was an issue and in the end, I went with Reeftech due to the deal they cut me. The Reeftech's that I run are very very similar to the base Vertex Illumina that you are considering. They have the same spectrum and similar mix of LED's as well as similar wattage. The Vertex is a very well made quality fixture.

I made the switch from Metal Hallides about 2 1/2 years ago and I am very happy I did. That said, if I were to go Vertex, I would order the optional add on LED boards that add additional LED spectrums to the mix.

Having said that, there are other LED's on the market that would be worth considering which would provide similar functionality at a lower cost. That however is a subject for another thread as you are going to get so many opinions that your head will spin but if I were to upgrade, I would consider the Ecotech Radions, Kessils, new AI's, Maxspect and possibly the Reefbreeders and a few others. The Reefbreeders will be the best bang for the buck but lack in some of the controller functionality that is included with the higher end LED fixtures.

P.S. Nice tank! It looks like it's doing very well! If you do make the move, I would suggest borrowing a par meter if you can so you can measure par on your existing lighting. The par meter will come in handy when you begin setting up your new lights. Especially in the acclimation period. If you don't have access to a par meter, just take it slow on the LED intensities and watch your corals closely to make sure you are not giving them to much lights as these LED's can be much more powerful than people realize.

miranda60
07/07/2013, 01:03 PM
I can't hang them above the tank... now its a closed by glass tank because i have three cats running here over the tank so i have to work with a long armature.I have to work with braces too for the armature... never heard about evergrow here in Belgium.

slief
07/07/2013, 01:26 PM
I can't hang them above the tank... now its a closed by glass tank because i have three cats running here over the tank so i have to work with a long armature.I have to work with braces too for the armature... never heard about evergrow here in Belgium.

Being that you are from Belgium, I would expect the Vertex fixtures to be much more practical on your side of the pond. Here in the states their prices are much higher due to the US dollar being weak against the Euro. Then there is the extra freight costs. If I were in your boat, I would give strong consideration to the Illuminas if they are within your budget but I would also look at the costs of other mid to high end fixtures that give you dimming capabilities at the very least and PC control (like the Vertex) if at all possible.

miranda60
07/07/2013, 01:53 PM
Being that you are from Belgium, I would expect the Vertex fixtures to be much more practical on your side of the pond. Here in the states their prices are much higher due to the US dollar being weak against the Euro. Then there is the extra freight costs. If I were in your boat, I would give strong consideration to the Illuminas if they are within your budget but I would also look at the costs of other mid to high end fixtures that give you dimming capabilities at the very least and PC control (like the Vertex) if at all possible.

dont know what vertex Illumina 260 costs overthere in the states.. here its about 1695€(2.172$) for 95 cm (3 ft) armature

a pluspoint to me is also if you can take out the leds to change if necessary and thats possible with the vertex.

that Fish Guy
07/07/2013, 10:13 PM
My tank is completly softcorals running with 4 xT5 39 watt... now i am thinking to buy led (vertex illumina 260) i am not in any position to move the corals on the buttom or on the edge..(see pic tank) Is its possible to run those with leds or better stay by T5? i am thinking about heatburning of the corals..
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y432/timmieenmiranda/DSC00638_zpsab98109c.jpg (http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/timmieenmiranda/media/DSC00638_zpsab98109c.jpg.html)

Wow. I am impressed.

You have a lot of different colors for a softie only aquarium.

Very Very Nice.

Michigan Mike
07/07/2013, 10:21 PM
Miranda60 & Ron, nice tanks!

miranda60
07/08/2013, 01:11 AM
thx guys

Ron Reefman
07/08/2013, 03:07 AM
Miranda60 & Ron, nice tanks!

Thanks Mike. It's a pretty simple tank and looks as good as it does because it's had time to mature (4 years).

FastUno
07/08/2013, 08:51 AM
Go even cheaper by checking out this guys tank. He does T5's with LED Strips. The strips are only $230 & you might be able to get em cheaper if you can find them used.

Type the reef builder d o t c o m website & paste this at the end
/2013/02/09/reef-builders-month-jason-crockett/

This is what he says about his lighting & his color and corals are amazing!!! You can probably get away with 2 T5's & 2 LED strips or just keep your 3 T5's & add a single LED strip. You will get the best of both worlds. The strips are real thin 1x1.75, so you should be able to squeeze them in.

QUOTE:
"Keeping this tank illuminated is accomplished by using a hybrid light system. A Sunlight Supply T5 light fixture outfitted with four 48-inch 54-watt tubes. Types of tubes used are two ATI-Blue+, one KZ Fiji Purple / ATI Purple Plus (pink bulb) (alternate bulbs at each change out), and one KZ New Generation 14k. Three 48-inch Reefbrite LED strips; two blues and one 50/50. Front to back arrangement of lights; RB-Blue LED, RB-50/50 LED, KZ Fiji Purple / ATI Purple Plus, ATI Blue+, KZ New Generation 14k, ATI Blue+ and RB-Blue LED."

miranda60
07/08/2013, 11:43 AM
combination of ATI T5 with led is very good only i have a closed tank and the problem with T5 is also the temperature .. the heat cant go out... thats why i want to go to leds...

asid61
07/08/2013, 04:18 PM
One of the Reef Breeders Photon 48 is $500, or you could do 2 reefbreeders value fixtures for $360.
Just start them at 30% power and go up each week by 5% until you reach the desired light level.

Ron Reefman
07/10/2013, 02:32 AM
One of the Reef Breeders Photon 48 is $500, or you could do 2 reefbreeders value fixtures for $360.
Just start them at 30% power and go up each week by 5% until you reach the desired light level.

I agree, aReef Breeder Photon32, or any other version of the EverGrow IT2080 would be perfect for your tank.

nice tank Ron and Miranda60 ! gorgoeus

Thanks, I'm just getting ready to weed out some of the softie corals and put in lps & sps corals that 'color up' better with the blue leds.