PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock with no critters

knarlyd
07/08/2013, 12:12 PM
I have 2 tubs that have LR, no critters/fish, just the LR with some powerheads running somewhat routinely (hopefully to retain the bacteria?)

The specific gravity is fairly high (maybe 1.028). I'm just curious if it's as critical to keep it at levels that are fish/invert safe or if the bacteria don't seem to care as much (as well as temperature should it get into the 80's?)

thegrun
07/08/2013, 01:41 PM
How long do you plan on storing it?

knarlyd
07/08/2013, 01:56 PM
How long do you plan on storing it?

Literally 2 years minimum if that's even possible....Tried to sell it but no bites (no pun intended)

RayL
07/08/2013, 03:51 PM
Thats a long time to maintain it just to keep the bacteria alive.

Why dont you just seed it when you are ready to start again

Timfish
07/08/2013, 05:38 PM
You should have a bunch of sponges and stuff growing on it. You'll need a light to keep any coraline alive. The bacteria colonies are going to adjust to the amount of ammonia produced in the system. If you really are going to keep it for two years you should probably treat it just like a reef system just in tubs instead of a glass tank.

knarlyd
07/09/2013, 11:00 AM
Thats a long time to maintain it just to keep the bacteria alive.

Why dont you just seed it when you are ready to start again

So, in essence, I can just let it dry up, and then as you say, buy a piece of LR whenever I'm ready to start it up again? That will in turn seed the old LR and in time, become a useful again I presume.
I like the thought of that rather than just running O2 in an attempt to keep anything alive. There is a small amount of algae on the rocks but not enough for me to care if I lose it. No sponges or anything on them either.

thegrun
07/09/2013, 11:01 AM
So, in essence, I can just let it dry up, and then as you say, buy a piece of LR whenever I'm ready to start it up again? That will in turn seed the old LR and in time, become a useful again I presume.
I like the thought of that rather than just running O2 in an attempt to keep anything alive. There is a small amount of algae on the rocks but not enough for me to care if I lose it. No sponges or anything on them either.

Correct, just let it dry out in the sun.

knarlyd
07/09/2013, 11:28 AM
Correct, just let it dry out in the sun.

Awesome, thanks!