PDA

View Full Version : My Ph Swing: Effect of SPS Health

Zstriker
07/08/2013, 12:44 PM
I recently purchased an apex and have enjoyed being able to track my Ph. My SPS dominate tank is doing well, I wouldn't say thriving, but nothing is receding either. I am on the search to continue fine tuning the system for improvement in color and growth. That being said, my Ph swing concerns me.

8.00-8.45 (peaks right when lights turn off)

It seems 8.45 is a little high and the swing is quite drastic. I performed a little test and turned off my skimmer for a week to see its effects. The Ph range now swings from:

7.80 - 8.33

The high range seems more acceptable now, but it is still a big swing it seems. My alk (morning and night) is always about 7.8 (Ca 410). I don't think I want to keep my skimmer off long term, but what are some ways to:

1. Reduce the Ph swing (my fuge is run on reverse cycle already)
2. Reduce the Ph peak when running a skimmer, I want to avoid precipitation and be able to boost my alk closer to 8.5 without issues.

I use b-ionic two part, so perhaps randy's recipe #2 would help with the ph swings, but then again, I am sure many of you use bionic with good results.

Perhaps I should cut my MH lighting time period? I run 6 hours MH, 9 hours T5, so if I cut it back some, then perhaps my PH wouldn't peak so high....

Or - perhaps many of you have a swinging Ph and do not find it to be a concern.

Thanks for any input.

DopeCantWin
07/08/2013, 12:56 PM
A bigger swing is usually due to lower dKH. What are you using to measure your Alkalinity, some tests are known to measure it higher than it is. Your Skimmer is oxygenating your water, which is why the pH is higher with it on, keep that skimmer on. It seems a little much, but if your SPS is growing and doing okay, I wouldn't do anything.

Allmost
07/08/2013, 01:12 PM
dont follow PH .... trust me, it has no effect.

PH of 8.4 is not too high.

things you could do : run fuge on different hours than lighting on Display tank.
install co2 scrubber for night hours.

but at the end, the daily PH swing is normal, and doesnt cause stress in the SPS.

DopeCantWin
07/08/2013, 01:16 PM
dont follow PH .... trust me, it has no effect.

PH of 8.4 is not too high.

Right. pH is a good way to monitor your tank, but not something to chase. You could use it to tell if there is too much CO2 or your dKH is too low. When my pH falls under 8.1 during the night, I have an alarm go off, and that tells me my dKH just fell below 7.

MammothReefer
07/08/2013, 01:27 PM
I used to chase/follow PH. I gave up a long time ago. Heck I haven't even cleaned my PH probe in a few years. Watch ALK trends, match Calc to alk keep your mag up and you are golden. PH ugh.. to many things effect it, leave windows open, don't leave windows open, or even using my oven the c02 levels change and PH goes nuts. Some people have rock steady PH they can count on I've and monitor for changes I've never been so lucky so I don't pay attention to it.

DopeCantWin
07/08/2013, 01:30 PM
I used to chase/follow PH. I gave up a long time ago. Heck I haven't even cleaned my PH probe in a few years. Watch ALK trends, match Calc to alk keep your mag up and you are golden. PH ugh.. to many things effect it, leave windows open, don't leave windows open, or even using my oven the c02 levels change and PH goes nuts. Some people have rock steady PH they can count on I've and monitor for changes I've never been so lucky so I don't pay attention to it.

I have the air tube from the skimmer go outside, it removes those variances.

Allmost
07/08/2013, 01:32 PM

not really. unless you monitor the air outside ...

for example, there is more pollution, during the week than on saturday and sunday, I bet you have higher readings of PH on those days :)

you could even have pedestrians fart more that day and have PH drop :) haha

DopeCantWin
07/08/2013, 01:35 PM
not really. unless you monitor the air outside ...

for example, there is more pollution, during the week than on saturday and sunday, I bet you have higher readings of PH on those days :)

you could even have pedestrians fart more that day and have PH drop :) haha

I live in the burbs. My pH is pretty consistent.

MammothReefer
07/08/2013, 01:38 PM

My whole skimmer and sump used to sit in a non-sealed garage. It didn't help.

jda
07/08/2013, 04:02 PM
They said it all - don't sweat this. Keep the alk stable and forget about it. Before we moved, I had a beautiful SPS tank in my basement that would range from 7.85 to 7.25 every day and everything was great.