PDA

View Full Version : Another Ricordea is melting

Shaun v
07/08/2013, 07:49 PM
Hello all, I have another ricordea melting and it looks the same as the first ricordea that melted in 2 days. Anyone have a suggestions as to what I can do? This ricordea is in a snail shell I have attached a photo. Here is a link to my last thread in regards to the first ricordea melting. The slime you see in the photo is what the ricordea is melting into.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2309429

My third one still looks good. My parameters are similar to the first thread except my nitrates are now 0 and my alkalinity is now 9

Shaun v
07/08/2013, 07:59 PM
I just read elsewhere that it could be brown jelly disease. Anyone have experience with this?

kevin kaplan
07/08/2013, 08:08 PM
I just lost a bunch of my frogspawn to what I would call "brown jelly". Huge, healthy colonies melted by brown goo :(

Goss
07/08/2013, 08:59 PM
Tampasnooker gave some good advice before:

You can use some airline tubing to siphon out the jelly. Sometimes the coral will stop the infection on its own if you remove the stress that caused it. If it progresses though get out the Dremel and save what you can. Revive, Iodine both work great. I've even rinsed off the area under tap water. Match temp and as long as it's short term exposure, the chlorine/fresh water affects the protozoans in the jelly before it affects the coral.

Shaun v
07/08/2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks. I have siphoned what I can and did a coral dip. Right now the coral is missing a quarter of its body and the mouth is split. I have it contained in a pee cup for now in tank water. I am worried about putting it back in the display tank for fear of losing other corals to this disease. It is extremely fast working. My last ric died in less than two days and this one seemed fine yesterday. I may try the tap water solution next.