PDA

View Full Version : Is this good growth....should I switch to evergrow LED's

tymux
07/08/2013, 08:47 PM
OK ladies and gents. I have been in (and out of) this fish world way too long and admit that I am lazy when it comes to memorizing different corals etc. I know I am not growing anything exciting in my tank and probably have way too much light for what I am growing, but I need feedback. I have one photo shortly after I acquired many corals from a tank purchase and moved them to my 225. Then I have some photos of the tank now. The first photo is from 7-11-2011 and the rest are a few days old. My lighting has been 2 X 250 and 4 X 80 T5's....first year were 10K lamps with actinics and now I run 15K's with less T5 actinics. Thinking about switching to 3 evergrow 120's. Tell me the truth about what you see......good bad or otherwise.

On a side note....what is the best way to control the mushrooms?

Thanks,
Tyler

dc
07/09/2013, 05:21 AM
Posts have been removed, this is not a selling forum.

tymux
07/09/2013, 09:39 AM
Sorry, my intention was not to sell anything...promis

Does anyone have an opinion on if this is good growth over two years or is it just not exciting enough coral for people to comment on? I won't be offended. I am excited by the growth and I am not sure if it is due to the MH an T5's or if I would see this kind of growth from any light source....i.e. LED's with this type of coral.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Tyler

Donkeykong
07/09/2013, 10:10 AM
Most of what you have is soft coral, which tend to be the least demanding of the light. I would look into LED's not because you need more or better lights, but simply to save you on bulb replacement and electricity costs. As to how to control the mushrooms, take the rocks that have them out of your tank and boil them in acid. I have seen so many tanks be over run with these purple mushrooms.

tymux
07/09/2013, 11:24 AM
Thank you sir....that is the direction I was headed....it is unfortunate that a lot of the rock has something other than the mushrooms on it that I would like to keep.....does cutting the mushroom at the base kill it or allow it to grow back?

Donkeykong
07/09/2013, 11:35 AM
as long as there is a little tissue left it will return, can you cut off the wanted corals from the rocks?