PDA

View Full Version : Battery-power capacity

Allmost
07/09/2013, 12:42 PM
Hello,
what is the power capacity of the back up battery ?

would it allow me to run pumps on slower speed, once switched to battery ?

I used a 1250 VA UPS back up, which only lasted about less than an hour, but I had 2 MP40 and 1 MP60 connected to it ! would the ecotech battery do better ?

thank you.

Alex Y EcoTech
07/09/2013, 01:42 PM
Allmost,

When in Battery Backup mode your Vortech propeller pumps will lower their overall speed and run in a constant mode. This will allow you a much longer run time then you've previously experienced. One Battery Backup will power a single MP40wES for up to 36 hours. That same Battery Backup will power a single MP60wES for up to 20 hours. Here is a link that will provide you with more information: http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Battery-Backup-Instructions.pdf

Allmost
07/09/2013, 01:47 PM
so not sure of the power capacity of it ?

BigKahuna
07/09/2013, 02:54 PM
Your UPS is a very inefficient way to feed the pumps power. As I understand it the pumps are really DC. Your UPS stores energy in battery form which is DC then converts it to AC to feed the things plugged into its outlets and powering your MP40's and MP60. You are basically converting AC(mains)->DC(ups battery)->AC(ups outlets)->DC(MP power supply). Also when an MP loses AC power and switches to battery backup it goes into powers savings mode to conserve battery power, on a ups it just runs normally because it has no way to know the power is out.

When Sandy knocked my power out for a week I got more than the quoted battery backup time Ecotech quoted, nearly 48 hours on my MP40. My recommendation to you would be to put just one or two MP40's on the battery backup, maybe get two of them if you can. Remember this solution is to keep your tank alive until power resoration, not keep the tank happy. I think the battery they use in the backup unit is a 18Ah sealed lead battery.

albano
07/09/2013, 03:04 PM
IME the longer run times are only from a new/fairly new Vortech battery... The 2 I have are about 3 yrs old, and I wouldn't expect them to last more than several hours at best!