PDA

View Full Version : Ridding Your Tank of Damsels, the Devils of the Deep

hilgert
07/09/2013, 10:35 PM
Over the years I have seen many an aquarist lament their decision to add damsels to their system. The little bastards look pretty, but they grow up to be evil, mean, bullying, food suckers.

However, there is hope...several years ago I devised a whacky scheme to catch these hellish creatures.

When I stupidly added damsels many years ago into a 180, very heavily stocked with rock and such, I tried and tried to catch them but never could. Then I thought about how to use their greed against them, and noticed they were always the first to race to the food without any thought.

So, I "trained" them for a week by walking up to the tank the same way, the same time, every day for feeding. After they had this "pattern" in their head, I went to a local sporting goods store (Bass Pro Shop in my case) and purchased the thinest fishing line they had, and the tiniest fish hooks (I was surprised how small they actually had...which is why you need to find a specialty store and not a Walmart).

I then thawed out a cube of large, juicy mysis shrimp, and carefully stuck one on a hook. I walked up to the tank the same way I usually did, at the same time of day, and dropped the hook in. I don't think it had been in the water for more than 10 milliseconds, with the initial splash from the hook's entry into the water still in the air, before the first damsel grabbed it. I repeated the process again 4 more times (I had 6 of the little beasts). Only Number 6 was a bit wary ("Hey, where did everybody go?"), so I waited a few minutes and then tried again...and he took it.

Thus ended my damsel damnation of destruction. It's also a good story to tell folks about how I went fishing in my own tank.

ReefKeeper64
07/09/2013, 10:42 PM
That's a good one. I've heard of fishing from a tank before but not with such ambition!

hilgert
07/09/2013, 10:50 PM
If the need arises again I plan to take my shoes off, put on some Huckleberry Finn clothes and stick up a "gone fishin'" sign.

ReefKeeper64
07/09/2013, 10:50 PM
Lol!

hilgert
07/09/2013, 11:08 PM
http://img1.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/6/s/6stkyo4qvygggy4.jpg

Pife
07/10/2013, 03:48 AM
That Is Fantastic. I Didn't Know Damsels Could Be So Mean.

Travis Rohrbach
07/21/2013, 01:03 PM
I love your solution to catching these tricky mean devil fish lol

ca1ore
07/21/2013, 01:40 PM
Yep, fully endorse the small hook approach. Used a similar approach to remove the devils spawn .... aka 2 inch three stripe ..... from my tank back in the late 90 s before I had worked out that they were a poor fish choice.