PDA

View Full Version : New Koralia PH's dead fish

fastdonkeys
07/11/2013, 12:01 AM
Hi I'm new to this forum but visit from time to time. I recently added koralia evolution PH's to both my marine tanks and within 1 day, everything is dead.

1st tank fowlr 44 gallon pentagon display tank, 5 years, 1 percula clown, 1 small domino grouper 2 inches, 1 flame angel - sea clone skimmer, eheim cannister filter, 50 lbs live rock, 2 inches of sand. Had one maxijet 1200 PH but replaced with 2 koralia evolution 850's yesterday afternoon. Came home from work today to find everything dead. Tested water and came out perfect. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, sg 1.024. Did a water change 5 days ago.

2nd tank fowlr 70 gallon bow front display tank, 2.5 years, 1 stars and stripes puffer 12 inches - reef octopus bh 2000 skimmer, eheim cannister filter, 80 lbs live rock, 2 inches sand. Same with other tank, had one maxijet 1200 PH but replaced with 2 koralia evolution 1150's yesterday afternoon. Came home from work today to find my precious puffer dead. Tested water and came out perfect. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, sg 1.024. Did a water change 5 days ago.

I can't describe how I feel right now, mostly depressed about the loss of my puffer which I had from 1 inch. I want to know what happened so I could avoid this in the future. Thinking about giving up totally and selling everything. I can't believe I lost both tanks.

I did notice the puffer a little lethargic later on that night but it was already 2:00 AM so I figured he was just resting as he always does. I read some other posts that have the same occurrence happen when changing the PH's and resulting flow of the tank which could stress the fish with more oxygen that what they're used to. Also, could have stirred up some underlying problems. I know I'm not the only one, but would like any info on the subject.

Thanks in advance for any info.

l8_apex_it
07/11/2013, 12:10 AM
I have nothing to add other than to say I am sorry for your loss!!
Hopefully you will be able to determine what caused the loss.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

greg1786
07/11/2013, 01:08 AM
Wow. Im terribly sorry I know how it feels to have a tank wiped out I couldnt imagine two tanks. I know how you feel about giving up and selling everything ive been there. Trust me on this and dont do it. Look at it as a fresh start and take your time planning everything to a T and have the best tank you could ever imagine. Thats what I did and it turned out so great!! I wish I could offer help in the form of advice on what may have happened but never heard of this. The only reasonable explanation I can think of is maybe if it stirred the sandbed up you released some serious gas that had been building in your sandbed over the years from fish waste and food breaking down. The problem with that theory is that I would expect some nitrates to show up in your tests if that happened?? Again im really sorry but dont give up!!!!!!

thegrun
07/11/2013, 07:09 AM
Sorry for your loss. Are you sure one of the power heads wasn't releasing stray voltage into the tank? I find it difficult to believe that added water flow would stress a fish to the point of death overnight.

randomfishguy85
07/11/2013, 08:09 AM
were they brand new power heads? I would think that some kind of contamination would be responsible to kill both tanks. Maybe you got something on your hands when doing the water changes and over the past 5 days it slowly got your fish sicker and coincidentally died the same day you added the power heads.

sslak
07/11/2013, 08:25 AM
were they brand new power heads? I would think that some kind of contamination would be responsible to kill both tanks. Maybe you got something on your hands when doing the water changes and over the past 5 days it slowly got your fish sicker and coincidentally died the same day you added the power heads.

This. Were these brand new koralias or did you buy them used? If so, did they all come from the same person, or did one from each tank come used from the same person?

Like he said, maybe you had something on your hands when you put the new powerheads in?

It sounds like contamination.

Sorry for your loss man...that's not an easy thing.

fastdonkeys
07/11/2013, 01:55 PM
All 4 were bought new from Amazon. I did wash them before putting them in the tank. I wondered too if it were contaminated or stray voltage, but both tanks is too much of a coincidence.

jkoot
07/11/2013, 04:11 PM
Wash them in what??

>jason

greg1786
07/15/2013, 03:00 AM
Did you come to any conclusion on the mysterious deaths??

Dissy
07/15/2013, 01:32 PM
The same thing happened to me... I bought the Koralia 850 - within less than 24 hours, everything, except for a maroon clown, and my snails were dead, and the clown barely made it. I just thought it was some weird freak of nature accident that couldn't be explained, as all my water params were completely normal.. Now I'm beginning to wonder. Mine was also an Amazon purchase....

fastdonkeys
07/19/2013, 04:53 AM
I have come to the conclusion that either it was the stress of having more flow, or maybe that some bad stuff got released from under the substrate, or the combination of both. I have then since taken out all the LR and vacuumed every inch of substrate, replaced LR and tested water again. All parameters were fine so I added a Dog Face Puffer and he is doing just fine.

Drae
07/19/2013, 05:34 AM
I have come to the conclusion that either it was the stress of having more flow, or maybe that some bad stuff got released from under the substrate, or the combination of both. I have then since taken out all the LR and vacuumed every inch of substrate, replaced LR and tested water again. All parameters were fine so I added a Dog Face Puffer and he is doing just fine.

When you first put them in there did a bunch of detritus kick up? Were there dead spots I'm your tank before you added the ph's? Did you have ph's before this? If so what kind? Built up waste can be highly toxic. What did you test the parameters with also?

rog2961
07/19/2013, 08:26 AM
sounds like stray voltage