PDA

View Full Version : Taking the leap! 10 gallon nano

athompson
07/11/2013, 01:40 AM
Hello all! My name is Amanda and I have MTS. I have been keeping freshwater tanks for about a year now (75 gallon planted community, 30 gallon planted with 2 SAPs, 5 gallon male betta, and 10 gallon snail tank to feed the piggy puffers) and have decided to take the plunge into saltwater. I have been researching for months and buying equipment here and there. My husband has let me turn our formal living room into the aquarium room, how lucky am i!!!

I want to do a 10 gallon nano reef. So far here is my equipment:
10 gallon tank
Hydor pico evo mag circulation pump 180 GPH x2 and then another for mixing saltwarer
Marineland 21in LED lightinf system ( .06w leds blue and white 550 lumens. Leds are super new to me. Not sure how to know if this is adequate)
Rio nano skimmer rated at 110 gph ( ive decided not to use this)
API Saltwater master test kit
Marineland visitherm heater 75 watt
thermometer
Light timer
Caribsea Arag-alive special grade reef sand 10lb
API reef master test kit (im slightly OCD about water params)
100 GPD 5 stage RO/DI system
Elos aquarium kit for Magnesium
Instant Ocean sea salt
Salinity refractometer
9lbs of live

Last night i mixed my ro/di water with the salt to a salinity of 1.025, and let it mix overnight with a powerhead. Covered the bucket with a lid to try to prevent evap. Today, i retested my salinity before adding to tank and it was still 1.025. Calcium at 500, magnesium 1050 ( so i added a magnesium supplement to get it to 1300) ph 8.3, dh 10. I then glued my rocks in the way i wanted them and put them in the aquarium. I laid the sand bed around the rocks and then filled it up with my saltwater. I put the 2 powerheads in and think i have placed them to have good flow all around the tank. Tank is heated to 79. Im going to leave it alone and let it cycle for however long it takes. I know that with the amount of live sand and LR I have I may not even see a cycle, but regardless I will wait atleast a month-2 months before moving on.

Next I will add my clean up crew. This is where I have ran into some hangups... to hermit crab or not to hermit crab. I have read the pros and cons from a couple of different places, but I just dont know... They are cute lil buggers. As of right now I am looking at this set up:
4 astraea snails
3 margarita snails
3 nassarius snails
1 blue leg hermit
2 scarlet reef hermits
1 peppermint shrimp
Thoughts? Opinions?

As for corals, I am not planning anything crazy until I am sure I got a grip on keeping my water params in close check (I'm mainly concerned with the salinity seeing as it's such a small tank. I live in alabama so my house stays at 72 degrees all the time. My freshwater tanks stay at 78 degrees constantly, I've never had a problem there. I plan to top off daily with RO/DI water and carefully monitor salinity as well as everything else. The water maintenance is one of my favorite things about fishkeeping. Am I nuts?) I don't think I want anything seen as a "weed" coral so no xenia and no GSP. I would like some mushrooms and ricordea. Maybe some leathers and somewhere down the line meat coral ( I LOVE these things lol). What do you all think?

I have planned long and hard for this. Any suggestions? Does my setup and plan seem legit? Any foreseeable problems? Anything I am missing? I value the opinion of this site's members greatly and can't wait to hear your thoughts and opinion! Thanks for taking the time to read my book lol.

Also, how do you guys keep your mixed saltwater? Do you always have some mixed and stored or do you mix it as a need basis? If storing, what is the best way and wouldn't that cause some problems with evaporation and salinity? I'm trying my best to cover all my bases.

athompson
07/11/2013, 01:42 AM
Another pic

MacWilliams
07/11/2013, 06:53 AM
Looks nice and you're setup seems like it would work great. About the CUC i like the hermits a lot. They seem to clean the sand and rocks a lot better than the snails. So i have about 10 hermits in mine and looking to add about 10 more in the next week or so. They are really interesting to watch. Now i have lost a few due to them fighting or leaving their shells and not making it into a new one before they get picked off by a bigger hermit or cant find a shell. Good luck!

BlindZide
07/11/2013, 07:25 AM
Well your top offs should just be RO/DI water without salt. Water evaporates, not salt. With evaporation in such a small tank your salinity will fluctuate when water leaves the tank. I am not sure if investing in a Auto Top Off Unit would be helpful in such a small tank but you might want to look into it.

I would keep some RO/DI water in a container. 5g bucket with a lid should suffice. Cut a small notch in the lid to allow an air stone/powerhead in to keep water moving while it is sitting. I usually make my salt mix the day before my water change so it can mix and be ready for the switch the next day.

Looking good so far! Rock work looks great!

mikem101
07/11/2013, 07:29 AM
Welcome to Reef central!! Well I will start by saying you picked a tough set up, normally the smaller the reef the harder it is. Mostly because if something goes wrong there is not a large volume of water so it affects the whole tank ALOT faster. That being said as a 10 gallon you will have a couple choices of fish but, all are little guys. Such as the smaller goby like clown goby and neon goby. Also a Tanakas Wrasse would be something to look at or even some small Cardinal fish. Sorry I ramble when it comes to fish but, all in all you can stuff that thing full of coral! The only other thing I see is you added mag already I wouldn’t does ANY chemicals till your cycle is done and its really needed the only time you are going to have to worry about mag is when you start adding coral.

Cymonous
07/11/2013, 07:56 AM
Shame on you guys above for not noticing the lighting. Shame! Lol jk

But seriously, everything seems fine except your lighting choice since you are going with corals. That low wattage will not be enough. You could look into a reefbreeder light or diy. You want something with at least 3w led.

athompson
07/11/2013, 03:32 PM
Well your top offs should just be RO/DI water without salt. Water evaporates, not salt. With evaporation in such a small tank your salinity will fluctuate when water leaves the tank. I am not sure if investing in a Auto Top Off Unit would be helpful in such a small tank but you might want to look into it.

I would keep some RO/DI water in a container. 5g bucket with a lid should suffice. Cut a small notch in the lid to allow an air stone/powerhead in to keep water moving while it is sitting. I usually make my salt mix the day before my water change so it can mix and be ready for the switch the next day.

Looking good so far! Rock work looks great!

Thanks so much. My hubby and i worked hard on placing and glueing those rocks. He was glad to hear it was complimented on ( especially since he lost some skin to the superglue lol)
As for as topoff, i did know that. I have a 3 gallon container of ro di water that i bought at wally world ( its the refillable kind) and i use a turkey baster to top off. As i said, im ocd about parameter and i check sg atleast once a day. Today i topped off. Salinity had creeped up to 1.026. 3 turkey basters of ro di water and i was back to 1.025 :). Looks like top off will be every other day atleast.

athompson
07/11/2013, 03:38 PM
Welcome to Reef central!! Well I will start by saying you picked a tough set up, normally the smaller the reef the harder it is. Mostly because if something goes wrong there is not a large volume of water so it affects the whole tank ALOT faster. That being said as a 10 gallon you will have a couple choices of fish but, all are little guys. Such as the smaller goby like clown goby and neon goby. Also a Tanakas Wrasse would be something to look at or even some small Cardinal fish. Sorry I ramble when it comes to fish but, all in all you can stuff that thing full of coral! The only other thing I see is you added mag already I wouldn’t does ANY chemicals till your cycle is done and its really needed the only time you are going to have to worry about mag is when you start adding coral.

Ah okay. Thanks for the info! I actually do not intend to have but 1 fish and know there is very limited choice. I know this is a hard tank to maintain. I really did do a ton if research for months before starting.

The lighting part has been kicking my butt. I originally bout t5hos 36 watts with 1x18 10000 and 1 actinitc blue 18 watt. BUT..... It was 18in and will not fit my tank :( so i went to my lfs and they suggested the light i bought. Said thats what they use on their tanks and their corals do well. The leds really confuse me. With t5hos i read about wpg and the spectrum and felt pretty good about my choice. When it came in and wouldnt fit i was really at a loss. Lfs didnt even carry any t5s.

CKI
07/11/2013, 03:39 PM
Congrats on the setup ... hope to see some pics of the finished product!

athompson
07/11/2013, 03:59 PM
So i read up a little and seen it wouldnt hurt to place those t5 lights directly on my glass canopy. Thats what i did. Heres a pic. The t5s are better than the leds?

CKI
07/11/2013, 04:02 PM
So i read up a little and seen it wouldnt hurt to place those t5 lights directly on my glass canopy. Thats what i did. Heres a pic. The t5s are better than the leds?

Thats the big debate, some like em, some dont ... goes both ways ... but the pic you just posted looks pretty good to me!

BlindZide
07/11/2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks so much. My hubby and i worked hard on placing and glueing those rocks. He was glad to hear it was complimented on ( especially since he lost some skin to the superglue lol)
As for as topoff, i did know that. I have a 3 gallon container of ro di water that i bought at wally world ( its the refillable kind) and i use a turkey baster to top off. As i said, im ocd about parameter and i check sg atleast once a day. Today i topped off. Salinity had creeped up to 1.026. 3 turkey basters of ro di water and i was back to 1.025 :). Looks like top off will be every other day atleast.

Glad he likes the comment. Looks like it took you a while to get it right. And your turkey baster seems to make the perfect MTO.....Manual Top Off

phantomg23
07/11/2013, 05:20 PM
looking good :) the light you have going on now should suffice. are they both on? And also a goby/pistol shrimp pair would be cool for that tank :). being that you have ocd with water params look into the hydor slim skim nano, it fits right in the corner of the tank. Good skimmer for nanos. It doesn't have to run 24/7 if you don't want to.

EDIT- i didnt catch where you said you already had a skimmer

athompson
07/11/2013, 06:37 PM
looking good :) the light you have going on now should suffice. are they both on? And also a goby/pistol shrimp pair would be cool for that tank :). being that you have ocd with water params look into the hydor slim skim nano, it fits right in the corner of the tank. Good skimmer for nanos. It doesn't have to run 24/7 if you don't want to.

EDIT- i didnt catch where you said you already had a skimmer

No biggie :) but i have decided not to install the skimmer at all. I am keeping it of course and if i find that it could benefit then i may add it, but i kind of want to keep it minimal. Is it crazy that i think i am already seeing my corraline algae spreading to the not so populated rock?

athompson
07/11/2013, 09:37 PM
Is this a clam on my rock? If so should i be doin something for it?

athompson
07/11/2013, 09:51 PM
Bah, the pic didnt post. Here we go

javdog2001
07/11/2013, 11:05 PM
Looks good, post more pics as you go along.

athompson
07/11/2013, 11:24 PM
Looks good, post more pics as you go along.

I definitely will

athompson
07/12/2013, 05:38 PM
All my tanks -75 gallon

raybyrne67
07/12/2013, 08:31 PM
Welcome, looks like you are off to a good start. Planning prior to setup will help out in the long run. Good luck and happy reefing.

athompson
07/12/2013, 09:01 PM
I posted a thread about dosing in the chemistry portion but haven't gotten any answers. Basically my magnesium is staying kinda low (1050-1100) but I was using the Tetra marine salt because my Instant Ocean hadn't arrive yet. I'm going to do a 10% water change tomorrow when I get home from work with the instant ocean and then retest it. All the other params had been fine ( ph 8, dh 8-9, calc 420-460, phos .25, amm nitrite and nitrates all 0). I'm wondering if if the instant ocean does not increase my mag to correct params if I should dose mag or not worry about it until I actually have some livestock. Also, I'm paranoid that I already have phos. I have not added ANYTHING but ro/di water for top offs and did a 10% water change yesterday to try to increase the mag. I'm wondering if I should just chill and let my tank cycle and worry about dosing when I'm ready for livestock, or if I should be staying on top of it. I'm paranoid because it's such a small tank. I don't want it to get away from me. Thoughts?

thegrun
07/12/2013, 09:47 PM
I wouldn't worry about your tank's water chemistry during the cycle outside of topping off your water with RO/DI nor would I bother with water changes. Once the cycle completes if you have nitrates over 5ppm I would make a 50% water change and then take your first look at alkalinity. If you are going to add corals right away then you should look at your magnesium and calcium levels at that time also.

athompson
07/12/2013, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't worry about your tank's water chemistry during the cycle outside of topping off your water with RO/DI nor would I bother with water changes. Once the cycle completes if you have nitrates over 5ppm I would make a 50% water change and then take your first look at alkalinity. If you are going to add corals right away then you should look at your magnesium and calcium levels at that time also.

Thanks for the advice. Not doing water changes makes me super uncomfortable. I'm scared everything will get so out of whack that I will be doomed before I even get started.

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the advice. Not doing water changes makes me super uncomfortable. I'm scared everything will get so out of whack that I will be doomed before I even get started.

During your cycle it will go out of whack. You want that to happen. It is establishing the bacteria needed to sustain life in your little reef. If you do water changes you will drag out the cycle even longer (I think). Your tank may even look like a nasty brown poop container(Diatoms) but let it be. Relax, take a deeeeep breath and test your water looking for the triple 0's.

If I recall correctly, depending on what rocks you used, they can leak phosphates.

athompson
07/13/2013, 06:24 AM
There is a lot of differing opinions on whether or not water changes effect cycling.... Im gonna do my very best to not be tempted lol. I was kind of hoping that since i used a lot of live rock and sand that i wouldnt even really have a cycle...

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 06:27 AM
No biggie :) but i have decided not to install the skimmer at all. I am keeping it of course and if i find that it could benefit then i may add it, but i kind of want to keep it minimal. Is it crazy that i think i am already seeing my corraline algae spreading to the not so populated rock?

It could be coralline algae. If it is you are a lucky duckling. Most of us, like myself, are still waiting for it to happen. I am dreading scraping it off the glass though.

As far as the skimmer goes. If you are going to be keeping corals (or even fish) its best that you use it. You will see how nasty the water is when it cleans it and when you see it just think this, "My fish and corals were breathing and eating in this?" and your fish will thank you later. Heres what my collection cup looks like from 5 days of use.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-keIwcGm0Bs0/UeFHRx_eyGI/AAAAAAAAB0M/P6fjdUtSMQA/w913-h685-no/20130713_082528.jpg

athompson
07/13/2013, 06:29 AM
I see your point. I suppose it could save me if im not able to do a water change when its due. Its just ugly and way bigger than i expected :/.

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 06:31 AM
Yeah, they aren't super pleasant to see as a HoB piece but they can be very useful. You might want to look into skimming a few hours a week instead of constantly. I know a few people on here who skim a few hours a week, maybe 5 hours on the weekend.

athompson
07/13/2013, 06:32 AM
Meaning that they just take their skimmer on and off?

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 06:37 AM
Yes ma'am. Put it on, run it for a little while, then take it off. In such a small tank you really shouldn't need to skim 24/7. Your bacteria needs to eat and so does corals.

athompson
07/13/2013, 06:40 AM
Im pretty noob at putting up pics. I have to do them one at a time. Just took some close ups of my live rock and id like opinions in if it seems good quality or if i got the jip lol

athompson
07/13/2013, 06:41 AM
Another

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 06:44 AM
It looks like good rock. Did they tell what kind it is? For example, in my tank, I have some "Real Reef Rock", which at the time looked awesome and I thought it was good until someone told me it was like concrete painted purple, and I have some Fiji rock.

athompson
07/13/2013, 06:48 AM
I live like right on the gulf of mexico, they get new shipments like every week. I honestly dont remember the namr but itnis very porous with lots of growth. It had only a short amount of time from the ocean to the lfs. It cures for a bit thetr amd then i bought the pieces i like

athompson
07/13/2013, 06:49 AM
This rock came out of the carribiean like last week. It is teaming with critter. Even a bivalve that i want to live

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 06:51 AM
Thats AWESOME! I wish I lived in Tampa still. Man would I be in heaven!

athompson
07/13/2013, 06:54 AM
So whats the opinion? Nice rock? Is it looking healthy?

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 07:05 AM
The rocks look great. They have that "under the sea" look which in my opinion adds character to your tank.

athompson
07/13/2013, 07:41 AM
The rocks look great. They have that "under the sea" look which in my opinion adds character to your tank.

Awesome ;) that makes me happy. I havent seen any worms or other critter. Just Will Farrel the clam. He may be dead. I never see him open up. How would i know?

athompson
07/13/2013, 07:44 AM
Another pic

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 07:51 AM
Awesome ;) that makes me happy. I havent seen any worms or other critter. Just Will Farrel the clam. He may be dead. I never see him open up. How would i know?

No idea. I am not a clam owner :sad2:

athompson
07/13/2013, 08:13 AM
Well i tested my big 3. And then decided it would hurt anybody if i tested ph. And since i was at it, why not just go ahead and test phosphates again lol. Ammonia is up to .25, nitrites and nitrates 0. Ph 8.0. I think i was paranoid about phosphates cause they appear to be zero now. To be sure i tested it against ro water and it came out the same color. Sg 1.025. Looks like my cycle is beginning :)

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 01:58 PM
Thats awesome! Good to hear the phos is gone and your cycle does appear to be kicking up. Find any new critters yet?

athompson
07/13/2013, 02:01 PM
Heck yeah! I was scared it was aiptasia but was informed i got me a fan worm. His name is tom. Then i found a lil colony of em but i didnt name those. I got something small and pink growing off the one of my rocks too. Not sure what it is. Maybe a sponge? Ill post pics of the new guys. Live rock is fun :)

athompson
07/13/2013, 02:02 PM
Here is the pink thing. Cant really get a good pic of it. Its dead in the center and looks more brown in the pic

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 02:13 PM
Oh I love the look of the rock in the second pic. That texture to me just screams reef. When I cycled my first tank I had a TON of feather dusters. At the moment I have a rock thats like dedicated to them. I have a bright red one, a blueish one, and a black and white one on this one small rock with pink coralline on it. Looks sooooo awesome. I'll try to get a pic for ya.

athompson
07/13/2013, 02:17 PM
Oh yeah please do! The rock in the first pic was suppse to be my base pieces since they r clunky and not branchy or real porous, but when we did the aquascape we like the color to them and decided to go with what we got. Im glad we did or i woulda never seen Will Farell. The rock in the second piece is the "show" rock. It is gorgeous. Im lucky to live practically on the ocean and high quality rock like this is abundant at my lfs.

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 02:24 PM
Blue one at the top, black and white on the left and 1 or 2 reds on the right center
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-EMgfgiG9EEA/UeG1q7JLj_I/AAAAAAAAB1E/5cWYrPF9mIY/w913-h685-no/20130713_161635.jpg

Red 1 on the front, retracted because one of my fish tried to photo bomb
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-78v8WuxkEJg/UeG2HT4u0oI/AAAAAAAAB1Q/3UuukjFs-7w/w913-h685-no/20130713_161830.jpg

Front view of rock
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JU3jCECmI-w/UeG2sYOeCtI/AAAAAAAAB2Q/sXHa6d5bgaU/w913-h685-no/20130713_162057.jpg

athompson
07/13/2013, 02:26 PM
Holy crap that rock is amazing! Will tom change colors too? Hes just clear.

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 02:27 PM
Keeper rock 1
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-h2n2rVZrajM/UeG34lsbu4I/AAAAAAAAB6E/KmCQMAruy7w/w913-h685-no/20130713_162511.jpg

Keeper rock 2 (warning, photo bombed)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iAb3RkKkPwY/UeG32UDxDEI/AAAAAAAAB5c/gf-QqmUNVes/w913-h685-no/20130713_162520.jpg

browning_boy20
07/13/2013, 02:28 PM
Where did you get your rock? It looks like B&B rock!!!

athompson
07/13/2013, 02:29 PM
Nemo wanted his pic taken with his anemone lol

BlindZide
I don't think it will change colors but you may have many more that you haven't found yet. They will also reproduce I believe.

athompson

Why yes sir, it is B&B. the only lfs i use :)

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 02:32 PM

Rock 1 was a dry live rock from a used tank that was sold to my LFS.

Rock 2 is fiji live rock from one of my LFS.

Nemo wanted his pic taken with his anemone

He likes to think thats his anemone. He is trying to host it. Thats my Aussie Duncan. Has 4 baby heads growing on it. Thats my homie coral.

BlindZide

Oh, the OPs rock, haahahaaaaaa, sorry

browning_boy20

Have you been in progressive marine yet? They are a lot better on their prices and have a wonderful selection of stuff.

athompson
07/13/2013, 02:36 PM
Have you been in progressive marine yet? They are a lot better on their prices and have a wonderful selection of stuff.

I actually just seen them on the internet. I assumed they were kind of like the "tanked" guys for rich folk. Thought they would be pricey. Im glad u told me otherwise cause i think its closer to me. I live in Semmes so goin to b&b is a fight.

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 03:35 PM
Its great when local reefers share knowledge. Its a wonderful thing.

athompson
07/13/2013, 03:44 PM
That was a big reason i joined this site trent. I know nobody irl with the type of passion for fish i have. I was hoping to meet some lol. In other news, i was reminded about 10 minutes ago as to why u always always always test equipment before putting it on ur tank. I decides to go ahead and put the skimmer on. Popped it on there, filled her up with water and let her go...... With a big massive leak. Leaking right down unto my power outlet. Almost took out my entire system but thank god my hubby noticed it quickly and acted even quicker. Turns out the o-ring on the motor was pinched. I fixed it and we r back in business. Whew.

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 03:48 PM
That was a big reason i joined this site trent. I know nobody irl with the type of passion for fish i have. I was hoping to meet some lol. In other news, i was reminded about 10 minutes ago as to why u always always always test equipment before putting it on ur tank. I decides to go ahead and put the skimmer on. Popped it on there, filled her up with water and let her go...... With a big massive leak. Leaking right down unto my power outlet. Almost took out my entire system but thank god my hubby noticed it quickly and acted even quicker. Turns out the o-ring on the motor was pinched. I fixed it and we r back in business. Whew.

I plugged mine in on the front of the tank so I could check for leaks when I had my HoB skimmer. Good thing you caught it and everyone is ok.

browning_boy20
07/13/2013, 04:22 PM

I have the same MSL it seems that you were diagnosed with :lol:
I had a40 breeder a 14 biocube and a 6 freshwater. I have since sold them and have a 125g and just put salt in my 350g to start the cycle today. I love my fish!!!!!!!

Oh and I also have a whiskey barrel goldfish pond on my back porch.

athompson
07/13/2013, 04:28 PM
I have the same MSL it seems that you were diagnosed with :lol:
I had a40 breeder a 14 biocube and a 6 freshwater. I have since sold them and have a 125g and just put salt in my 350g to start the cycle today. I love my fish!!!!!!!

There is only 1 known treatment: lack of funds lol. Thats really exciting. Im keeping my eye out for a large saltwater set up at a reasonable price. Id like to find a complete setup that is not established. Ready to go, but no water lol. If u know of anything keep me in mind. Id like 100+.

athompson
07/13/2013, 04:28 PM
Are u full reed of fowlr?

athompson
07/13/2013, 04:36 PM
Well because of my skimmer debacle i did an unintentional 10% pwc. Now there is no ammonia. Guess we will see. Might have set myself back a lil bit but oh well. Im having fun discovering critters.

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 04:38 PM
I think I am going to take my buddy up on his offer of a 55g w/stand for free.....its the perfect price! Or get a 40b at Petco during the $1/g sale. I'm still debating.....

athompson
07/13/2013, 04:44 PM
See i dont wanna hafta start from scratch with a big tank. I want everything with it and already plumbed lol

browning_boy20
07/13/2013, 04:48 PM
There is only 1 known treatment: lack of funds lol. Thats really exciting. Im keeping my eye out for a large saltwater set up at a reasonable price. Id like to find a complete setup that is not established. Ready to go, but no water lol. If u know of anything keep me in mind. Id like 100+.

Right now it's a fowlr but I am building it to be a reef in case I decide to go that route. MP60's, reef breeder LEDs and a super reef octopus 6000sss skimmer. I have to say the big jump in size is VERY expensive. More than I thought it was gonna be.

I think I am going to take my buddy up on his offer of a 55g w/stand for free.....its the perfect price! Or get a 40b at Petco during the $1/g sale. I'm still debating.....

Go with the 40, It's easier to scape. 55's are to skinny.

athompson
07/13/2013, 04:57 PM
Im headed to work at the good ole Mobile Infirmary. Ill either be busy having babies or perusing the forums overanalysing everything im doin lol

BlindZide
07/13/2013, 05:05 PM
I know the 55s are skinny. Thats why I went with a 75g at the moment. I want another. I think you are right though. The $40 would be better. BUT the 55 comes with a stand.....decisions decisions!

mikem101
07/13/2013, 05:39 PM
So I posted at the start of this read through the whole thing and have 2 pieces of advice! So to start with there was a post that you have a glass canopy I think most will agree when they say to take that off if you are going to use coral. Main reason is they are a pain to keep clean and with the salt creep and the condensation you lost A TON of par value. Either use a screen top or put nothing on the top.
The other thing I would say is to go with a 40B, 55's are ok but WAY to thin you cant scape them like you need to getting the water flow right is a pain. Over all the foot print of the 40B is one of the best you can find in the smaller tanks! You can always use your 10 gallon as a sump! Hope this helps seems like you’re off to a great start!

athompson
07/14/2013, 01:34 AM

Looked at the webpage.... Their operation hours are kind of crappy. But I suppose like i said, it's still better than driving all the way to B&B

athompson
07/14/2013, 01:40 AM
So I posted at the start of this read through the whole thing and have 2 pieces of advice! So to start with there was a post that you have a glass canopy I think most will agree when they say to take that off if you are going to use coral. Main reason is they are a pain to keep clean and with the salt creep and the condensation you lost A TON of par value. Either use a screen top or put nothing on the top.
The other thing I would say is to go with a 40B, 55's are ok but WAY to thin you cant scape them like you need to getting the water flow right is a pain. Over all the foot print of the 40B is one of the best you can find in the smaller tanks! You can always use your 10 gallon as a sump! Hope this helps seems like you’re off to a great start!

Wellllll....... since my lights don't technically fit my tank, the only option i have right now is to use my glass canopy and sit my lights on top of it lol. I bought the LEDs and the general consesus was that my t5ho was better. The problem being, I'm having an awfully hard time finding a t5ho hood that will go on my 20in long tank. The one i have is 18inches (i made a guess...... ) If you have a suggestion for a 10 gallon lighting system that isn't absolutely outrageous (or maybe even if it is :)) I'd love to see it! Until I find lights that will fit without a canopy, I'll just hafta make due.
As far as the other tank stuff, it wasn't me that was looking to buy one :)

mikem101
07/14/2013, 01:57 AM
oh hahaha there is some simple ways like using egg crate as a top instead of glass, or there is a company who makes universal leg kit so it might be something that works for you. I will see if i can find it but, the other is a DIY type any local steel shop can make a stand for you that will hold the lights above the tank if you have some room above it i can try and find you some examples?

heres a link they have 18" wall mounted and tank mounted universal kits: http://www.thatpetplace.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-light-suspension-mounting#!aquarium-light-suspension-mounting

athompson
07/14/2013, 02:00 AM
<-----not much of a diy-er. that's why i went to college and got a good job lol

athompson
07/14/2013, 02:01 AM
oh god, that sounded awful. i did NOT mean it the way it could come off. of course many DIY-ers have a much higher degree of education than i and also much better jobs

mikem101
07/14/2013, 02:03 AM
hahaha no biggies check out that link I just add to my last thread!

athompson
07/14/2013, 02:37 AM
Oh wow thats awesome!!! I wonder if the hubs will go for it

BlindZide
07/14/2013, 05:04 AM
I have purchased 3 of these fixtures. A 48" and a 36" and a 24". All very well made and work like a charm. No timer for the small size but still a great deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T5-Quad-20-Aquarium-Light-HO-72W-Cichlid-Marine-Reef-LED-4x-18W-Lamps-Nano-/110858871001?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cfb420d9

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T5-Dual-20-Aquarium-Light-Marine-FOWLR-Cichlid-Tropical-Fish-36W-2x-18W-/110915648867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d3167d63

athompson
07/14/2013, 08:03 AM
I bought the second one off ebay.

mbingha
07/14/2013, 08:30 AM
One other negative of the glass canopy that I haven't seen mentioned is lower ph. You get much less oxygen exchange, and especially if you don't run a skimmer 24/7 you will be fighting your ph. Oh, and then there's the heat issue lol. Either way, looks like you're off to a great start :thumbup:

BlindZide
07/14/2013, 10:36 AM
I bought the second one off ebay.

Sweet! Did you buy it from that seller? Dude is fast with shipping AND mine has never arrived damaged.

browning_boy20
07/14/2013, 11:24 AM
Looked at the webpage.... Their operation hours are kind of crappy. But I suppose like i said, it's still better than driving all the way to B&B

I agree, their hours a pretty funky but I always go on a weekend so its not a problem.

athompson
07/14/2013, 04:52 PM
One other negative of the glass canopy that I haven't seen mentioned is lower ph. You get much less oxygen exchange, and especially if you don't run a skimmer 24/7 you will be fighting your ph. Oh, and then there's the heat issue lol. Either way, looks like you're off to a great start :thumbup:

Thanks! Soon as i get my new light ( thank trent!) ill be taking it off :)

athompson
07/14/2013, 05:03 PM
Sweet! Did you buy it from that seller? Dude is fast with shipping AND mine has never arrived damaged.

Yes i did buy it from the seller. Thank u so much for recommending it.

BlindZide
07/14/2013, 05:16 PM
Not a problem. When you get a bigger tank the dude has awesome fixtures with built in cooling fans and timers.

athompson
07/14/2013, 05:33 PM
Oh good grief.... 2 days ago i test and dkh was 9. Today its 2...... ***???

athompson
07/14/2013, 05:38 PM
Oh good grief.... 2 days ago i test and dkh was 9. Today its 2...... ***???

Word to the wise... Wait atleast an hour after top off to test parameters. If u dont u will get wonky test results like a dkh of 2 :)

BlindZide
07/14/2013, 05:51 PM
Word to the wise... Wait atleast an hour after top off to test parameters. If u dont u will get wonky test results like a dkh of 2 :)

+1 LMAO :lol:

athompson
07/14/2013, 06:13 PM
Not a problem. When you get a bigger tank the dude has awesome fixtures with built in cooling fans and timers.

Love how u said "when" not "if" hahhaha. The prices this guy has are very reasonable. I will continue to do business with him if i like these lights. Ill send him a message and tell him u referred a repeat customer and he should give u a 10% discount lol

BlindZide
07/14/2013, 06:27 PM
Love how u said "when" not "if" hahhaha. The prices this guy has are very reasonable. I will continue to do business with him if i like these lights. Ill send him a message and tell him u referred a repeat customer and he should give u a 10% discount lol

doubtful but hey, its worth a try!! And its a matter of when, not "IF" you will get a bigger tank. It is inevitable. I got my 75g going and tore my 30g down to set it right back up and it is cycling now.

athompson
07/14/2013, 06:28 PM
My husband told me since we got the saltwater tank, the freshwater ones look like glass boxes with weeds hahahhaha

BlindZide
07/14/2013, 06:38 PM
Time to convert the rest!

athompson
07/14/2013, 06:44 PM
Unfortunately its all about the funds and even more about the time. Im a nightshift labor and delivery RN, have a 2 year old son, and am getting ready to start my masters degree for family nurse prac in august. Maybe once i graduate i can convert them. I DO intend to get a 100+ gallon in the fish room before the end of the year tho lol

BlindZide
07/14/2013, 06:47 PM
I am going to get a 40B here shortly. I will aim for a 100+g tank when I get my fish room finished.

athompson
07/14/2013, 06:53 PM
Im just gonna go ahead and as the noob question. What is a 40b? A 40 gallon bowfront?

BlindZide
07/14/2013, 07:11 PM
40b is a 40g Breeder. Probably the best sized tank ever for a decent price. PetCo $1/gallon sale = $40 for a orignally $100+ tank.

athompson
07/14/2013, 07:13 PM
Ahhhhh okay. We dont have a Petco here :/ if i dont get called in tonight ima go check that lfs brandon posted about.

athompson
07/14/2013, 09:47 PM
Nitrates >0 but <5 right?

BlindZide
07/15/2013, 04:38 AM
I agree

gvan101
07/15/2013, 06:00 AM
good luck!

athompson
07/15/2013, 10:41 AM
Everything is looking good so far. Topping off with fresh ro di water every other day. Keeping sg at 1.025. Last night parameters were amm-.25, nitrites-0, nitrates <5, ph 8, dkh 8, calcium 400, phos 0. I didnt test mag.