PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts CPR Dual Back Pack

Kjdejarnett12
07/11/2013, 04:40 PM
I'm going to pick up one of these. Just wondering from people who use them how they are. The good and the bad.

mikeatjac
07/11/2013, 05:07 PM
A waste of money would be a kind statement. Look for another solution and save the waste of filling you closet with another I wish I had not spent the money on that!

Kjdejarnett12
07/11/2013, 05:26 PM
I was going to use it as a supplement to my reef octopus hob. I'm vodka and vinegar dosing now so I want to make sure I've got more than enough skimming. What's so bad about it?

mikeatjac
07/11/2013, 05:46 PM
The filter is a nitrate trap and it not very good in the first place. What size take do you have?

Kjdejarnett12
07/11/2013, 05:58 PM
It's a 56 colum.

Silly clownfish
07/11/2013, 06:31 PM
I've been using a CPR Bak Pak 2 sinc 1998. At the time they were the big thing in skimmers. It does not look like the design for that model has changed at all. It does the job for my 30g, but will be replaced when I upgrade to a 75g soon.

It can get rather loud. If I were you, I would rather run one bigger skimmer than 2 smaller ones. It seems more efficient and likely quieter.

That said, since CPR has been using the same design for so long, I suspect you can pick up a used one on ebay pretty cheap. That might be the way to go if you are just looking for occassional supplementation.

Oh yes - I removed the bio-bale filter media. If I'm vacuuming the substrate and stirring stuff up, sometimes I throw some in for a day to get the big gunk.

Kjdejarnett12
07/11/2013, 06:38 PM
I'm getting it used from a friend for 20 bucks so its really just pocket change. I was just more curious as to its skimming ability. If I'm better off taking the filter stuff in it out I will.