PDA

View Full Version : Water level in herbie drain question

Johnic
07/12/2013, 09:00 AM
If I want to keep the water level 1" above the bottom of my teeth of my overflow to I simply locate my emergency drain 1" above the bottom of my over teeth??

HowieB
07/12/2013, 10:04 AM
That's how mine is. The water level in the overflow is even with the top of the second drain. Mine is about even with the bottom of the teeth.

Johnic
07/12/2013, 10:56 AM
Can I get the water level above the bottom of my teeth, let's say 1" above just by raising the second drain?

jerpa
07/12/2013, 01:10 PM
The water level will be controlled by the gate valve on the primary drain, until it rises enough to go down your emergency drain. You do want a bit of a cushion between the desired level and the emergency drain so slight changes in the flow don't have you constantly fiddling with it.

Why do you want the water level in your box so high?

Johnic
07/12/2013, 01:24 PM
So I guess if I locate it as I mention above Ill get what I need?

jimmyj7090
07/12/2013, 03:30 PM
It sounds like you're a little confused. The back up drain should be a bit higher than your max intended level in the overflow box. The actual height of the water will be determined by adjusting the valve. Once you adjust it, the level will fluxuate a bit and need occasional adjusting to correct. Think target range, insted of a set height. I have mine set up with the back up about 1/2" below the bottom of the teeth, and the siphon at least 6" lower. This way of the normal fluxuations drop the level it can go down quite a bit and start to make a little noise alerting me to adjust it, and if it goes up a bit it'll hit the back up and that will alert me to make an adjustment. If I didn't have that 6" range between the two I would have to adjust it annoyingly frequently. As it is, I need to adjust it monthly at the most.

Some people set up herbie drains so that they have a constant trickle of water going down the back up (I'll call that a "suicide herbie"). Done like that, then the height of the back up will set the water level. BUT, if you are a cautious soul you will want to keep the back up dry so you have that much of a safety cusion (like the back up will never get clogged if it's dry and no water is going down it. If it's wet, even a trickle, there is a much greater chance that something will get in there duing normal use and eventually cause it to slow and then back up which would then cause a flood).

Johnic
07/12/2013, 11:19 PM
I think I get ya

Johnic
07/13/2013, 10:09 PM
The water level will be controlled by the gate valve on the primary drain, until it rises enough to go down your emergency drain. You do want a bit of a cushion between the desired level and the emergency drain so slight changes in the flow don't have you constantly fiddling with it.

Why do you want the water level in your box so high?

My concern is the tank water level. My overflow teeth I feel are very low and I want my tank water level higher.
I guess what everyone is saying is the water level in the overflow varies not tank. Do I just increase the flow from my pump to raise "tank" water level?

jimmyj7090
07/14/2013, 01:53 PM
You could run the emergency a little higher, and then adjust the water level in the overflow to sit a little up on the teeth to acheive what you want (raise the level in the display), but this will reduce the surface skimming ability of the overflow which would be undesierable.

Johnic
07/14/2013, 01:55 PM
I gotcha. I located the top of my safety drain 1/4" below the teeth.

Johnic
07/21/2013, 04:47 PM
:sad1:It sounds like you're a little confused. The back up drain should be a bit higher than your max intended level in the overflow box. The actual height of the water will be determined by adjusting the valve. Once you adjust it, the level will fluxuate a bit and need occasional adjusting to correct. Think target range, insted of a set height. I have mine set up with the back up about 1/2" below the bottom of the teeth, and the siphon at least 6" lower. This way of the normal fluxuations drop the level it can go down quite a bit and start to make a little noise alerting me to adjust it, and if it goes up a bit it'll hit the back up and that will alert me to make an adjustment. If I didn't have that 6" range between the two I would have to adjust it annoyingly frequently. As it is, I need to adjust it monthly at the most.

Some people set up herbie drains so that they have a constant trickle of water going down the back up (I'll call that a "suicide herbie"). Done like that, then the height of the back up will set the water level. BUT, if you are a cautious soul you will want to keep the back up dry so you have that much of a safety cusion (like the back up will never get clogged if it's dry and no water is going down it. If it's wet, even a trickle, there is a much greater chance that something will get in there duing normal use and eventually cause it to slow and then back up which would then cause a flood).

Why does the height of the water in the overflow vary? Mine varies about 1-1.5 inches.

jimmyj7090
07/21/2013, 05:58 PM
Slight changes in atmospheric pressure (I've read that, I can't explain or back it up), slight changes in slime/sludge in the pipes, maybe slight variances in exactly how much the return pump is pushing....

I don't know exactly, but it does vary :)

Johnic
07/21/2013, 06:13 PM
Ya. It's weird. I also think dc pumps vary alot in speed