PDA

View Full Version : Polyp Ext on Acro

Mcbeezus
07/13/2013, 01:37 PM
Hello, I was wondering if my purple branching acro should have very lengthy polyp extensions. I notice that there are a bunch of polyps but it looks like they are very short. Also the tips are somewhat white, does this mean growth?

Nitrite-0
nitrate-0
amm-0
sali-1.025
calc-400

SApicoreef
07/13/2013, 02:26 PM
Mag? Alk? Po4? Temp?

Mcbeezus
07/13/2013, 03:19 PM
dont have mag or alk testing kits, po4 is 0...temp is stable around 79-80

Dexters Reef
07/13/2013, 03:33 PM
Please get an Alk kit, it's one of the most important items to measure and monitor for SPS.

Can you post any pics? Some acros are known to have more / less polyp extension than others

Mcbeezus
07/15/2013, 06:09 PM
I just tested for ALK and its 7 atm. Is this good? i cant figure out how to upload pictures...ive tried and tried but never can get them to pull up.

MHG
07/15/2013, 06:12 PM
I have acros that extend during the say and some that don't. But when my ph is way out of wack some of them stop....in general any PE is good. Several hours after the lights go out they should look longer.....

FYI, I little nitrates make my acros much happier...

Dexters Reef
07/15/2013, 09:46 PM
I just tested for ALK and its 7 atm. Is this good? i cant figure out how to upload pictures...ive tried and tried but never can get them to pull up.

Alk is one of those things that depends on your nutrient and calcium levels. To me, 7 sounds a little on the low side, but it's in the recommended range of 7-11. I keep mine at 9 dKh, but a lot of people use 8 or 10...it depends on some things. What works for one person is not whats best for everyone.

More important than the actual number (if you are in the proper range) is keeping it from fluctuating daily. More sps = more consumption. It will vary based on your tank.

Also white tips typically mean growth, but could also be a type of burning from too much light, we need you to figure out how to post some pics!