PDA

View Full Version : Small clown has algae hanging out of his mouth, remove it?

KindCorals
07/13/2013, 06:22 PM
My small clown ate some algae growing on the rocks of my new tank and it was a stringy piece. He is only about 1-1.5" big and the algae hanging out of his mouth is about 1/4". He's been trying to get it out by rubbing on corals, rocks but it is obviously stuck. I fed him last night in hopes he would have just swallowed it but no luck. Should I try and pull this out or at least cut the bit that's coming out of his mouth? I know it will probably start to break down but not sure if that will start to pollute him and eventually kill him.

eferna
07/14/2013, 12:12 PM
wow that's a first ive heard of. I think if it was just algae it would have already come out. It could be a human hair and algae grew on it, it if was that it could cause some problems. I would try to remove it if you can.

KindCorals
07/14/2013, 01:57 PM
wow that's a first ive heard of. I think if it was just algae it would have already come out. It could be a human hair and algae grew on it, it if was that it could cause some problems. I would try to remove it if you can.

It was a first for me too! It was definitely algae as I saw him 'cough' a couple of times and you could make out the tree like structure of the algae. Its a new tank and there are lots of these small algae trees popping up everywhere. Im not sure how he did it but it was not there anymore when I checked late last night.

planedoc
07/14/2013, 05:41 PM
I would let nature take its course unless the fish starts to show signs of stress. Give it another day, most likely things will be fine