PDA

View Full Version : Swabbie for PM Bullet XL1

rlpardue
07/14/2013, 12:57 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking of ordering the Swabbie kit for my Precision Marine Bullet XL-1. I tried getting a rough measurement of the neck diameter and it looks to be around 4.5", so I guess I'll go with a "small" blade.

Do you guys have any problems or issues involving installing Swabbies on Bullet XLs?

ctenophore
07/14/2013, 08:45 AM
Hi Lee,

I believe the XL-1 has a gasketed, locking lid with a handle. In order to install the Swabbie motor housing, the handle needs to be cut off first. So it can be done, but takes a bit more effort than usual. If you have access to a band saw and/or belt sander, the handle removal is pretty easy. You can also clamp the lid in a vise and use a sawzall (reciprocating saw) to take off the handle. Hope this helps!

Justin

rlpardue
07/14/2013, 02:12 PM
Hi Justin,

I appreciate it! I'm attaching some photos so you can see.

rlpardue
07/14/2013, 02:24 PM
It's possible that I may have a non-stock lid. I'm the second owner and this is the first PM skimmer I've used. I *think* I don't have a handle.

One thing I noticed is that my neck's diameter (~4.5") fits both the "small" (2.75"-5.25")and "large" (4"-7") wiper sizes. Is there any advantage to going with one or the other? I assume the difference between the sizes means that one can extend out to a larger diameter neck; blade length itself is unaffected? I suppose I'd prefer to have a longer blade to reach further down the neck on each swipe. I'll probably get the XLong shaft & wiper

I'm pretty glad they came out with the "YOU-Built" model; I like the lower price and I think I need to customize my lid for it to fit onto my skimmer. The wife will appreciate me keeping my skimmer gear out of the sink too! :)

rlpardue
07/14/2013, 05:52 PM
Correction: the neck of my skimmer is 5" in diameter

ca1ore
08/19/2013, 08:02 AM
I am extremely impressed with the swabbie. Time will tell how frequently it needs adjusting, but for now it has dramatically increased the performance of my skimmer.