PDA

View Full Version : COLORFULCORALS LED on eBay

Kjdejarnett12
07/14/2013, 07:20 AM
Looks like a well built light in the states. Anyone have any experience with them or have any opinions on the light and design. Seems like a good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-reef-light-FULL-spectrum-DUAL-PROGRAMMABLE-Timer-DIMMABLE-US-AI-Vega-Radion-/310701468516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4857402b64

wildman926
07/14/2013, 07:32 AM
Chinese built light, US seller, same old stuff that has been peddled for quite some time.

Kjdejarnett12
07/14/2013, 07:34 AM
He claims he designed it himself. Technically everything is built in china these days lol

nemosworld
07/14/2013, 07:50 AM
I would go with reef breeders fixtures over these, google, lots of folks are using them.
Another option is to have them customized to your spec, aqua style online carries both inexpensive and Cree LEDs, you can pick a kit and your colors and then have them either ship it to you and you build it or you pay a small fee and have them assemble.

Good luck!

dinwiddie90
07/14/2013, 07:56 AM
I have something similar to that made by nova that my lfs sells. No complaints thus far

Ron Reefman
07/14/2013, 08:08 AM
He may have designed the led layout, but the equipment is all Chinese and it's made in China, not that there is anything wrong with that. But his not being willing to admit it's built in China would make me steer well clear of this unit. EverGrow and Reef Breeders (made by EverGrow) are the best Chinese fixtures, hands down. And they don't cost enough more to make buying this one worth the risk.

wildman926
07/14/2013, 09:22 AM
the equipment is all Chinese and it's made in China, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Really? Since you opened this can of worms, I will bite. If everyone bought Chinese, there would be no US companies. There are very few, and yes, it costs more, but it is worth it in the long run. I use BuildMyLED.com lights, as I am sure you very well know. I have actually met the owners, the persons actually making the lights, even the shipping person, have seen the whole operation. I know that my hard earned money is helping someone here in the states make a living. I also know what level of service and expertise is offered by this company. You will not get any of this from a Chinese company. I could go on and on, but I won't as most here think it is "OK" to pay a little less for their Chinese goods then buy and contribute to our US partners.

droth335
07/14/2013, 10:23 AM
That looks like a reef breeders value fixture priced $50 higher....

http://reefbreeders.com/value_led_fixtures.html

raynist
07/14/2013, 06:40 PM
Actually looks like $120 higher.

droth335
07/14/2013, 08:38 PM

Good catch....obviously, I wasn't a math major :lolspin:

Ron Reefman
07/15/2013, 05:23 AM
Really? Since you opened this can of worms, I will bite. If everyone bought Chinese, there would be no US companies. There are very few, and yes, it costs more, but it is worth it in the long run. I use BuildMyLED.com lights, as I am sure you very well know. I have actually met the owners, the persons actually making the lights, even the shipping person, have seen the whole operation. I know that my hard earned money is helping someone here in the states make a living. I also know what level of service and expertise is offered by this company. You will not get any of this from a Chinese company. I could go on and on, but I won't as most here think it is "OK" to pay a little less for their Chinese goods then buy and contribute to our US partners.

I met both of the owners of BuildMyLeds at MACNA last year. They are very nice guys. I almost bought from them.
And I'm long done arguing about Chinese vs US patriotism and my buying decisions. US companies get stuff made in China all the time, so why can't I? That is the last word I have to say on the subject here. You can bash Chinese products all you want, I don't care, it's a world economy now, get used to it.

That looks like a reef breeders value fixture priced $50 higher....

http://reefbreeders.com/value_led_fixtures.html

It's not quite a RB value fixture or EG D120 as it has some kind of timer(?) on the front. It still has dimmer controls, so I'm guessing the lcd display is just an on/off timer? A small improvement... maybe, but for that much extra money, toss in a few more dollars and get an EverGrow IT2040 or Photon16 with a real controller.

Kjdejarnett12
07/15/2013, 06:06 AM
Yes the LCD display is a timer more or less which is a nice add on. I've heard multiple negative reviews as far as the reef breeders lights go. I haven't heard of the EverGrow lights before they actually look like a decent light. Thanks for the referral its definitely something to look into. I want to upgrade to LED's, I just cant afford Radions lol.

Kjdejarnett12
07/15/2013, 06:27 AM
I'd love to build my own but I don't exactly have all the tools or know how. In sure I could figure it out but it would cost me way to much to build something even similar to these so why not buy it prebuilt with a warranty on it. Does aquastyle have somewhere on their website they have premanufactures lights you can customize your self or do I have to actually call or email for that.

Ron Reefman
07/15/2013, 07:53 AM
Yes the LCD display is a timer more or less which is a nice add on. I've heard multiple negative reviews as far as the reef breeders lights go. I haven't heard of the EverGrow lights before they actually look like a decent light. Thanks for the referral its definitely something to look into. I want to upgrade to LED's, I just cant afford Radions lol.

I don't know what kind of negatives you've heard about RB fixtures. Most people here on RC that have bought from them seem very happy with the fixtures. They are made for RB by EverGrow. I've had 6 EG fixtures for 7 months now, 3 different models over 4 tanks, and love them. But OceanRevive is a new company selling their own Arctic S026 'basic' fixture as well as being a distributor for EverGrow to fill in their line up until their new, fancier models are released.

I had a $750 Radion over my 24g frag tank. It's a good light, but expensive, a PITA to adjust as you need to hook up a computer and it runs... lets say warm. It's a lot more 'warm' than my EG D120 which cost $180 or the OceanRevive S026 which I use now which cost $190. And I like it even better than the D120. It's cooler (room temperature cool), has a better spread of leds (98sq.in) compared to the D120 or RB 'value fixture' (40sq.in.), and the S026 is just a better looking fixture (slimmer and more modern looking). For an extra $10 it's a deal.

ReachTheSky
07/15/2013, 10:16 AM
Plot twist: Kjdejarnett12 is colorfulcorals4u trying to promote his own product. :D

Jokes aside, it looks like every other LED fixture you find on eBay. How reliable they are or how they'll perform on top of your tank are unknown but whether or not that's a risk you're willing to take (as opposed to a tried and true fixture) in exchange for saving money is something you'll have to decide.

nemosworld
07/15/2013, 10:38 AM
I'd love to build my own but I don't exactly have all the tools or know how. In sure I could figure it out but it would cost me way to much to build something even similar to these so why not buy it prebuilt with a warranty on it. Does aquastyle have somewhere on their website they have premanufactures lights you can customize your self or do I have to actually call or email for that.

you have to talk to ray about your custom colors if you want to stray from what he has pre picked. just pick your kit and tell them what you want in the description box. they will also assemble it for a small fee, just email ray and get the details ironed out.

Kjdejarnett12
07/15/2013, 12:30 PM
The arctic ones your talking about. Are they programmable or do you have to use timers?

Lostinthedark
07/15/2013, 04:03 PM
I have the arctic S026. They have dimmers. No timers and no programming. I have them about a month already and I already notice a difference in coral growth. I was using the Tao -tronics prior until it half burnt out. Tank looks much better with full spectrum rather than just blue/white.

asid61
07/15/2013, 04:54 PM
I like the reefbreeders lights marginally better than Evergrow because the stock layout utilizes all neutral whites, without 14k whites or anything. And they offer customization as an option that you can add to your cart. Just a little easier to check out is all.
The Photons are controllable, and the Value is just potentiometer dimmed.

On the ebay thing: Led fixtures on ebay are almost always bad. I would never buy any kind of led at all from ebay, unless it is for a gu10 led setup.