PDA

View Full Version : BRS reef saver rock


Mischke
07/14/2013, 09:06 PM
I finished reading a build thread where the user used Macro rock for their aquarium. They had horrible algae growth, etc. even after the rock had been in the tank for longer than a year (the user name was something like drummersreef). I believe that Macro rock and Reef Saver rock are the same product with a different name.

So what I'm wondering is

1) are these two products the exact same thing?
2) does anybody have any long term experience with Reef Saver Rock? If so would you use it again, and what has your experience with it been?

I love how this rock aquascapes so I'd really like to use it. But if people haven't had good experiences with it I might go with live rock form TBS.

thegrun
07/14/2013, 10:04 PM
I used Marco Rock when I set up my 50 gallon cube a couple of years ago. I've never had an issue with it.
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/greenirons/50%20Cube/Aquarium10-22-12001.jpg (http://s654.photobucket.com/user/greenirons/media/50%20Cube/Aquarium10-22-12001.jpg.html)

Mischke
07/19/2013, 12:21 AM
anyone else have any long term experience?

dan-in-gr
07/19/2013, 12:45 AM
Hi, I have about 30 lbs of Marco shelf rock and zero problems and have had it nearly a year. Sounds like the other guy has issues that are not related to rock.

Saltydrip
07/19/2013, 05:38 AM
In drummereefs build thread he talks about how it was a select timeframe that his rock was harvested that it was problematic. Several reefers all had problems with a batch of rock that leached nitrates. I believe it was mid 2011 was when it happened. Everyone is happy with it now. Thats part of the problem with dry rock though. You never know what's in it. If your worried about it look into bleaching or cleaning dry rock prior to use. I have built up my tanks from 10g to 29g to 55g to 75g so I have always just added live rock and never dealt with dry rock. So I'm not familiar with cleaning dry rock.

Sugar Magnolia
07/19/2013, 06:35 AM
I have reef saver rock in my tank. About 35# along with 5# live rock. I'm about 17 months in. I cured it in a tub together for about 2 months before putting it into my tank. I went through the usual cyano outbreak and diatom outbreak, common with new tanks, and an unusual clear, fur like algae that resolved itself over a few weeks time. Otherwise, at this point, you can't tell which is the live rock and which was the dry rock.

NTP66
07/19/2013, 01:58 PM
With regards to BRS Reef Saver, I used that for 85% of my rock work (the other 15% being cured BRS Pukani). It's been 8 months now, and I haven't had a single issue with algae. No diatoms, no cyano, nothing. Tank parameters are great, and the fish are happy. It's incredibly easy rock to work with when aquascaping, that's for sure.