PDA

View Full Version : Bubble magnus

invertinoob
07/15/2013, 11:07 AM
So i fell into the beginners trap and purchased a seaclone 100 protein skimmer. needless to say i hate this thing. it may be suited to skim a nano tank but is not well suited for my 56 gallon. lately i have been making steps and equipment adjustments because i would like to start keeping sps. my first step of course would be getting rid of this P.O.C skimmer. i was thinking about the bubbly magnus curve 5 or 7. does anyone have opinions, experience and or criticism on this skimmer. If you do not like this skimmer would you offer me advice on skimmers of same to close value?

downbeach
07/15/2013, 11:17 AM
An RO NWB110 (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-nwb110-4-pinwheel-in-sump-protein-skimmer.html), might be a more suitable size for your system.

invertinoob
07/15/2013, 11:19 AM
i was thinking about the curve 5 or 7! i love reef octopus and that one really seems in my price range!

downbeach
07/15/2013, 11:29 AM
How big is your sump? Although I think it's a little too big, you might get away with the 5, the 7 is definitely overkill. I think the size of the RO is just better for your system.

invertinoob
07/15/2013, 11:35 AM
my sump is 7 gallons. im going to try to put 20 down there. it will be hard though because i have a corner tank. so space is limited. the reason i want such a big skimmer is because in the next 5 years i would love to upgrade my system to a 100 gallon plus tank. possibly as much as 150. i agree that the 7 would be over kill for my tank now.

downbeach
07/15/2013, 12:20 PM
Do you have room for an in sump skimmer? If not, you might consider going to a RO BH90 HOB. I would wait until you have a bigger system, and get another appropriately sized skimmer. I think you could keep your current system as your QT.

invertinoob
07/15/2013, 12:35 PM
right now i'm running my seaclone as an in sump. it is definitely jammed up in my sump with the return and skimmer in the same compartment. i do think it is possible though.do you think that if i run a 20 or even 15 gallon with no baffles as a new sump micro bubbles would be an issue? eventually when my boys get older the 55 gallon will be the tank that i put in their room and 100+ will be my system. i was thinking i would use it as a frag tank as well. anyways i like that the bubble magnus has the pump under skimming cylinder. it would be able to fit in my sump now as an in sump skimmer. and i think with adding the extra 15 to 20 gallon sump volume would be more than enough for the curve 5 maybe even the 7 idk. i am definitely not opposed to the Reef Octopus NWB110 at all.

joshman1204
07/15/2013, 04:21 PM
I have the curve 5 on my 58 gallon tank and I love it. I know it is rated for a much larger tank but I have a pretty heavy bio-load and feed heavily as well so it works out pretty good for my situation.

invertinoob
07/15/2013, 08:48 PM
thanks for the great info. how long have you owned your skimmer?