PDA

View Full Version : Movnig fish tanks during renovation

cvsailer
07/15/2013, 12:21 PM
I have a 55 gallon freshwater, and a 92 gallon FOWLR with a sump below the tank inside the stand. I'm planning to finish my basement and I will need to move both tanks into a room in the basement that I do not plan to renovate. In the past I have removed just over 50% of the water in the 55 gallon and two guys picked up the tank and moved it. My greater concern is the 92 gallon saltwater tank. I'm trying to figure out the best way to move it without hurting the fish/setup. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fizz71
07/16/2013, 11:50 AM
Have you considered taking this time to clean the system out? Get a stock tank from TSC and relocate everything.

If not...What kind of distance/flooring are we looking at? I ask because I actually had a 105g I could move FULL on magic sliders (http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Sliders-04050-Sliders-As-Seen/dp/B0000CFURY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1373996281&sr=8-6&keywords=magic+sliders) by myself, but it was on a hardwood floor. By myself I only ever moved short distances, but with two people I could have moved it anywhere as long as there was no lip on the surfaces.

You can use shims to to jack the tank up, slide em under and away you go...tank and stand. I of course would still drain it to make your life easier, but it can be done. You do need to watch that your tank doesn't slide off your stand too...mine couldn't so it wasn't an issue for me.

Other alternatives would be to remove all but the live rock and then dolly the tank around, but you'd have to get the water back in quickly.

The biggest concern is that a two person lift means a LOT of strain at the end when lifting, unless you have a stiff board under it (or the stand).

..Again...personally...I would drain it to a stock tank. Tub life sucks but it's better than a broken tank. :)

Fizz71
07/16/2013, 11:51 AM
...also consider a friend or LFS to house the fish. That's what I did when my tank broke. I moved the LR to a tub and sent my fish to an LFS.

cvsailer
07/17/2013, 10:35 AM
The flooring is currently thin carpet and the distance the tanks need to travel is about 20-30 feet to a room with a cement floor. I don't mind taking the water/rock/fish out of the 92 gallon. Although I would like to be able to move the tank on the stand with the sump underneath. It just doesn't seem possible.

I'm less concerned about moving the 55 gallon freshwater. I can simply take 80% of the water out, move the tank on a dolly and put the water back in.