PDA

View Full Version : The API Nitrate Conundrum

ReeferMark
07/15/2013, 08:01 PM
I've been battling a nitrate problem with my 90G tank for the last two months now. My Elos Nitrate tester showed my water was well over 25ppm. I went out and got an API Nitrate test kit, just to know where I was. For weeks, I kept testing the water a couple of days after doing my weekly water change. At first, the nitrates dropped all the way down to 10ppm...on the API & Elos testers. The last four weeks, I measured the nitrates constantly going up with the API tester and decided not to use the Elos because it only tests up to 25ppm.

Tonight, I was shocked to see the API tester showing nitrates at about 80ppm! I tried the Elos tester and it showed nitrates at 2.5ppm!! I then grabbed another vial and tested the API....same results...80ppm! The API tester was bought three months ago and has an expiration date of 2017! Has anyone seen problems with the API testers after using it for a while? See the attached pictures and you'll see the differences.

evolutionZ
07/15/2013, 08:23 PM
i used to have 2 API Nitrate test kit, one was showing 10ppm while the other was 40ppm. both were tested at the same time. I threw them (and all other API test kit away) and went full Salifert. never looked back before.

ReeferMark
07/15/2013, 08:29 PM
EvolutionZ: I here ya...you get what you pay for. I was just looking for something cheap to test nitrates over 25ppm. It's weird though, it's like the API went stale on me over the last few weeks!

Jamey1010
07/15/2013, 08:33 PM
I had been using a API for nitrates and was concerned too, although getting readings close to 0 defiantly less than 5, I just picked up salifert to double check cause we all know the reputation but was pleasantly surprised to see the same reading on salifert about 2.5

I think it has to do with shaking the #2 bottle good so it's mixed well and maybe if it sits too long it doesn't readily go back to a through solution

ReeferMark
07/15/2013, 08:37 PM
Jamey, Oh I would shake the #2 bottle for thirty or more seconds....I would even use the stopwatch on my phone to make sure!!
My friend had a new test kit so I brought some of my water for a quick test...it read about 5ppm!!

Jamey1010
07/15/2013, 09:26 PM
Jamey, Oh I would shake the #2 bottle for thirty or more seconds....I would even use the stopwatch on my phone to make sure!!
My friend had a new test kit so I brought some of my water for a quick test...it read about 5ppm!!

API ?

I had several old Salifert test kits there we not accurate at all anymore and just picked up an api out of convince one day and I worried about it ever since lol

I had recently read a thread where a guy was getting different readings than his fish store (using api) and noticed he was shaking it much harder than the swirl they were doing....

athompson
07/15/2013, 10:39 PM
I have always found API very accurate if using as directed. You MUST shake the #2bottle vigorously for 30 seconds or more and once you add those drops you hafta shake the entire vial for alteast a minute and then let sit for 1 minute before reading. I have no problems with their accuracy at all.

Jamey1010
07/15/2013, 10:46 PM
Yeah it's terrible when a product gets a bad reputation because we don't know if there improving on it which surely they are, and the api kits cost only a fraction of the alternatives.

I think I paid $7 for the api and $25 for the salifert

Dapg8gt
07/15/2013, 10:56 PM
I've never had any sort of consistency out of any APi test period. I did the same as you just recently against my gut to check my almost (6 months) expired salifert kit and it was way off.. Said nitrates were at 40 when salifert said <10.. So I did numerous tests on the same sample (again) and came up with the same thing that happened years prior.. Totally different results.. Some 20's some 80's etc.. Used a friends red sea and it was close to my salifert readings multiple times.. Never again will I ever waste money on APi kits they are just not accurate (for me).I followed directions to a key so unless it's temperature dependant it was all the same sample and process.

I learned to not trust them years ago but reading threads on here stating they are great and are always in the ballpark I got one because it was on the shelf that day.. It was crap and a waste of money.. I still can't fathom why people will spend $20-500+ on a coral or equipment but get the cheapest kit available to safe guard that cherished coral/fish Granted nitrates aren't all that critical to be exact at lower concentrations but the bunk results can have guys doing drastic measures to correct an issue that's not even an issue.

I'm sticking to salifert like the years past and I actually just got a red sea foundations kit but haven't employed it yet;).

And although all of us with hobby grade kits are kinda guessing how do you APi guys who state they are accurate verify that? I've read quite a few threads just like this with the majority of people agreeing that they are inaccurate and a few saying they are great.. I've got to believe that it's impossible everybody is not following the directions and only 3% are(just a guess on the figure) I've checked my salifert against elos and red sea and they were consistent (few points off but not much) APi may have been accurate once but the other false readings before and after to me its a guessing game on if you did it right or if it's just crap. I'll continue to trust a kit that's consistent over the cheaper one any day..

bertoni
07/16/2013, 12:38 AM
If you look around in this forum, you'll see reviews complaining bitterly about basically every test kit brand. It's hard to know how consistent the kits actually are, but there was a period when a new thread bashing the Salifert alkalinity kits popped up every day or so.

I have used Salifert, IO, and Hach kits, and they seemed reasonable and the ones I've tested seemed quite consistent with each other, if care was taking during the testing. I can't tell how good API kits are, but a lot of people who are careful with testing have reported reasonable results with them. I would expect them to have a shorter life expectancy due to the liquid reagents, though.

Dapg8gt
07/16/2013, 08:08 AM
If you look around in this forum, you'll see reviews complaining bitterly about basically every test kit brand. It's hard to know how consistent the kits actually are, but there was a period when a new thread bashing the Salifert alkalinity kits popped up every day or so.

I have used Salifert, IO, and Hach kits, and they seemed reasonable and the ones I've tested seemed quite consistent with each other, if care was taking during the testing. I can't tell how good API kits are, but a lot of people who are careful with testing have reported reasonable results with them. I would expect them to have a shorter life expectancy due to the liquid reagents, though.

I know there are issues with almost every test kit. There are almost too many variables to say
One will always be accurate because the plain fact is that people make mistakes during testing, storing etc.. And I'm sure batches of raw materials change with all manufacturers changing end results to a degree .

Just in my experience when I started this hobby in 2000 I felt that APi and tetra kits were accurate and on the advice of my LFS were just as good as any other test kit(only ones they carry) . Truth was I was more interested on spending money on corals than on testing kits. Over the last 13+ years my reef has been around its been through some stuff that was avoidable.

If I would have taken advice early on from real "experts" and not tried to save $ on IMO (now) the most important thing to keep consistent and accurate I feel those issues would have been a little easier to deal with. I am not willing to gamble that I waited 60 seconds vs 58 or shook a bottle too little or swirled the vial too hard ( all reasons stated why results were wrong) and rely on a result that may not be right the first time for the $ and life I have sitting in my living room.. But that's just me. I'm sure it works for some but not most and I feel I'm in the most category..

evolutionZ
07/16/2013, 08:12 AM
another issue with ALL Api test kit. The colors are really hard to see sometimes! i have totally no problem looking at Salifert's No3 and po4 test kit.

tmz
07/16/2013, 11:12 PM
I use api for nitrates from time to time and it cross checks well with the salifert.

jscarlata
07/17/2013, 04:56 PM
I know there are issues with almost every test kit. There are almost too many variables to say
One will always be accurate because the plain fact is that people make mistakes during testing, storing etc.. And I'm sure batches of raw materials change with all manufacturers changing end results to a degree .

Just in my experience when I started this hobby in 2000 I felt that APi and tetra kits were accurate and on the advice of my LFS were just as good as any other test kit(only ones they carry) . Truth was I was more interested on spending money on corals than on testing kits. Over the last 13+ years my reef has been around its been through some stuff that was avoidable.

If I would have taken advice early on from real "experts" and not tried to save $ on IMO (now) the most important thing to keep consistent and accurate I feel those issues would have been a little easier to deal with. I am not willing to gamble that I waited 60 seconds vs 58 or shook a bottle too little or swirled the vial too hard ( all reasons stated why results were wrong) and rely on a result that may not be right the first time for the $ and life I have sitting in my living room.. But that's just me. I'm sure it works for some but not most and I feel I'm in the most category..

What test kits do you use now???
I'm Having issues with Red Sea kits

Dapg8gt
07/17/2013, 07:05 PM
What test kits do you use now???
I'm Having issues with Red Sea kits

Currently am using salifert and Hannah checker.. I have a new red sea foundations waiting to be used also so I will see if I like them .. In the past I've also used elos but found I like salifert (prices) better..

I may just be stubborn and set in my ways but I haven't had issues with salifert in the last 7 years (about) I've been using them..I have had some issues with the Hannah calcium checker but who has not lol.. Think I'm going to spring for the ultra low po4 checker but it's a hard sell for me ;).

FWIW I started like a lot of people with API master kit on the advice of my LFS and it's what I used to use on all my african/south American chiclid tanks..

Jamey1010
07/17/2013, 07:32 PM
I had the ultra low hanna and got a different reading every single time, I don't know I think I got a bad one and it was close to when they first released it, I passed it along to someone else and they never mentioned and issues with it so maybe I wasn't mixing the vial good enough or maybe it need to be orientated exactly the right way..

I do think I'm going to try another though.. checking the phosphates by watching the tank acrylic is exactly the most precise method for sps

ReeferMark
07/18/2013, 11:45 AM
Jamey, I'm sure you already know this, but did you keep the glass vial clean of fingerprints before you placed it back in the checker? I've always had very consistent results with my Hanna phosphate checker.

jscarlata
07/18/2013, 12:07 PM
i used to have varying results w my hanna meter too, but then i read some best practices tips here, and i now get good results...
before i start the process, i cut open the reagent pack with a razor on 3 sides, and get all the reagent out onto a small slip of paper and set it aside.
then i start the test at step 1...having the powder ready to pour gives more than enough time to mix it all thoroughly befroe the meter resets during step 2...simple but effective
no more racing the clock...