PDA

View Full Version : Blue Throat Trigger and Rockwork

KindCorals
07/15/2013, 10:20 PM
Ive read a few accounts online about these triggers needing to sharpen their teeth on rocks like most other types of triggers, which may disturb/rearrange Rockwork in the process. My LFS, which is one of the best I've seen as far as the cleanliness, quality and care of their marine animals, says this won't be a problem because they are a different type of trigger (pelagic) and their teeth are not the same because they feed in the open water (don't typically eat crustations and such)They had them for a couple years in the past and never noticed this behavior.

What are your experiences?

humaguy
07/15/2013, 11:02 PM
trigs can be messy, playful, and rearrange a tank but their behavior varies from fish to fish...what one does another may not and vice versa...

KindCorals
07/16/2013, 02:15 AM
trigs can be messy, playful, and rearrange a tank but their behavior varies from fish to fish...what one does another may not and vice versa...

Of course. What are your personal experiences with blue throat triggers and Rockwork?

bobkill
07/16/2013, 06:35 AM
Hey dude I had one for a month or so, about 6 inch. Lots of personality no coral or inverts issue however did move alot of my rock work around, buried a couple of corals in the sand. And ate a ton of food. We ended up trading him back to the lfs

drej424
07/16/2013, 06:56 AM
I had one for about three years. I lost him because he jumped out of the tank. The tank was covered with egg crate, too! One day, I found him and the tank cover on the floor. I recently got another, maybe 3 months ago. Neither of mine moved any rock work. The first one used to splash water on the floor sometimes. IME, these fish have been model citizens. Great personalities and no problems!

humaguy
07/16/2013, 08:58 AM
Of course. What are your personal experiences with blue throat triggers and Rockwork?

overall, not as bad as fuscus, queens, titans, and a few others...

Rea17
07/16/2013, 11:39 AM
overall, not as bad as fuscus, queens, titans, and a few others...

That doesn't take much! ;)

I had a blue jaw trigger that was a great reef citizen. He respected small fish and shrimp, and didn't try to re-aquascape anything for me. Great fish if you want a reef-safe trigger personality.

MrTuskfish
07/16/2013, 01:41 PM
If you have puffers or triggers that need a tooth trimming now and then; stick a piece of cuttlebone somewhere. The kind used for birds. Plain, not vitamins. I've done this for years, works great and its a natural marine product.

KindCorals
07/17/2013, 12:28 AM
Hey dude I had one for a month or so, about 6 inch. Lots of personality no coral or inverts issue however did move alot of my rock work around, buried a couple of corals in the sand. And ate a ton of food. We ended up trading him back to the lfs

How would he move the rockwork? If the rocks werent epoxied together, do you think that would have helped? How would he bury the corals?

I had one for about three years. I lost him because he jumped out of the tank. The tank was covered with egg crate, too! One day, I found him and the tank cover on the floor. I recently got another, maybe 3 months ago. Neither of mine moved any rock work. The first one used to splash water on the floor sometimes. IME, these fish have been model citizens. Great personalities and no problems!

Sorry to hear that man! I was looking at making an acrylic lid for my tank and will definitely do so before getting one. They do have great personalities once acclimated!

I had a blue jaw trigger that was a great reef citizen. He respected small fish and shrimp, and didn't try to re-aquascape anything for me. Great fish if you want a reef-safe trigger personality.

That's about as perfect a trigger I could hope for in a reef!

If you have puffers or triggers that need a tooth trimming now and then; stick a piece of cuttlebone somewhere. The kind used for birds. Plain, not vitamins. I've done this for years, works great and its a natural marine product.

That's a great idea! I would assume they would go for a piece of bone over a rock any day but thanks for the tip.

xrayjeeper83
07/17/2013, 12:53 AM
Mine does great. Never had any problems out of him at all.

SaltwaterSensei
07/18/2013, 01:55 AM
are these fish known jumpers or are they prettty good when it comes to that?

humaguy
07/18/2013, 03:20 AM
they def can jump...tank should be covered...

Rea17
07/18/2013, 09:13 AM
Make sure the cover is secure. They can jump with enough force to take it off with them if it is light duty.

H.reidi.MN
07/18/2013, 10:19 AM
Blue throats deff sound like good reed dwellers. My LFS has a roughly 4" female and I'm wondering as far as diff sexes go do you forsee any issues introducing the female before a male ?

humaguy
07/18/2013, 11:10 AM
lol, it is up to the fish but I would also add her first...
just an fyi because it has not been mentioned...
bt trigs can be painfully shy, hide a lot, and in some cases, are rarely seen, which can be frustrating for the owner...
I love trigs but bt are not ones I would recommend unless you are prepared for the possibility of a shy fish which is not a typical trigger trait...

H.reidi.MN
07/18/2013, 11:59 AM
Ya I searched around and read some individual cases of them being shy. Also female first seemed to be the best best. I guess I'll just observe its behavior at the LFS. Even though usually being in an over stocked undersized tank has an effect ...

Arc Drafter
07/31/2013, 01:40 PM
Can these guys be housed in an acrylic tank?

CedzAquAddictio
07/31/2013, 01:54 PM
Sure can. You'll have no issues with that...

humaguy
07/31/2013, 02:19 PM
Can these guys be housed in an acrylic tank?

yes, but I had a feeding port built into the top of my tank- several inches towards the center of the tank to keep the food off the acrylic, that helps a lot...

jhentr
07/31/2013, 02:53 PM
My six inch one I had for three years been a model citizen. Haven't touched a thing - small fishes, shrimp, rocks, etc

H.reidi.MN
07/31/2013, 03:43 PM
+1 my female I've had going on a few weeks is a sweet heart. And I actually like to fact she can be cautious and shy its cute and adds to her personality