PDA

View Full Version : Super Dart Specs and alternative

brad
07/16/2013, 07:26 AM
I have a 270 with about 10 feet of head and recently bought a super-gold snapper/dart as a return. The chart says as a dart, this pump does 2229 gph with 178 watts at 10 feet. In Snapper mode, it should do 900 gph at 95 watts at 9 feet of head. These specs would be appropriate for my tank.

The actual watt draw is 220 watts for the Snapper and 145 watts for the Dart, and while I have no way to measure gph, it seems at least double what is on the chart. This is too much flow, and electricity is expensive here (not sure why).

I started looking at bluelines (the only pump I've used that seemed to work reliably long term) and if there specs are accurate, I don't think I can do better in terms of wattage for the flow I want and should probably just valve back my snapper.

Can anyone suggest an alternative return pump? Does anyone else have a super-gold dart and care to comment? For what this pump costs, it should have been spec'd appropriately, and would be a very good pump if it was (just not for me).

Ron Reefman
07/16/2013, 04:54 PM
Have you talked to anybody at Reeflo? I still use a Reeflo Blackfin prototype that was never released (I won it in a club raffle that Reeflo had donated it to). I had some issues and Chris (the owner) was very helpful and gave me parts I needed for free. Give them a call and ask your questions.

brad
07/17/2013, 07:47 AM
I am going through an online vendor who is talking to Reeflo. I certainly can't ask them to recommend one of their competitors.

Tweaker
07/17/2013, 02:41 PM
you got a pm

Pastey
07/17/2013, 02:52 PM
Since you have the pump and it's plumbed, I would just valve it back into the wattage you want. You might want to recheck your headloss math to make sure though. That's a pretty large deviation.