PDA

View Full Version : Anemone condition good or bad?

moe458
07/16/2013, 09:33 AM
Hi,

I just got a Anemone from LFS yesterday and i placed it in the tank. I fed it last week after 8 hour (small piece of shrimp) . Not sure if it's doing good..can you tell me is this good or bad?

http://imagesup.net/?di=3137398875514

Doogy
07/16/2013, 09:43 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the white you are seeing are the anemones insides, how soon was this picture taken after you put it in? May look better after he fully acclimates.

bradleym
07/16/2013, 10:16 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the white you are seeing are the anemones insides, how soon was this picture taken after you put it in? May look better after he fully acclimates.

+1

You have a Magnifica anemone, one of the hardest to acclimate, and it looks to be spitting out it's stomach, which is never a good sign. If it still looks like that now you are in trouble.

bradleym
07/16/2013, 10:18 AM
Hi,

I just got a Anemone from LFS yesterday and i placed it in the tank. I fed it last week after 8 hour (small piece of shrimp).

OP, which is it? Last week or yesterday? If you meant you fed it last night, the same day you got it, that is a bad move also.

moe458
07/16/2013, 10:56 AM
This pic was taken this morning. I got it yesterday..had it in there..seemed like it was in a shock or something it just sat in the corner...after 8 hours I had it fed. (It was bought yesterday...sorry had it wrong in the post).

Pic was taken this morning. I have to go home and see how it looks like. I knew something was going wrong with the gut showing...the guy at LFS told me it was an easy keep that's why I bought it...

moe458
07/16/2013, 03:41 PM
Seems like its doing well now..will post pics shortly

moe458
07/16/2013, 03:50 PM
http://i44.*******.com/14wx7ys.jpg

moe458
07/16/2013, 03:51 PM
http://i42.*******.com/2gv0uac.jpg

bradleym
07/16/2013, 04:10 PM
That is much better, and a good sign. Keep an eye on it, and if it does that again, you may want to consider reading up on Ciprofloxacin treatments on this forum. Otherwise I wish you luck. It is very pretty!

worm5406
07/16/2013, 10:22 PM
http://i44.*******.com/14wx7ys.jpg

http://i42.*******.com/2gv0uac.jpg

That does look much better. How is your lighting?

Let it sit for a bit and do not worry about feeding it. It needs it energy for a bit to acclimate and adjust.

Can we get some tank parameters?

Age?
Light type? (led/MH)
Sg
Temp
pH
Nitrate
Nitrite
Flow type (ph/sea swirl)
Other inhabitants.

That guy/gal looks very nice and large. What is the size?

I see you have a nice coraline and some GHA running too. (me too!)

Here is mine: Click on the cog and select 1080p mode and let it buffer. Much better view!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4S3CvL1Jqec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bjledbetter
07/17/2013, 12:15 AM
the guy at LFS told me it was an easy keep that's why I bought it...
He LIED to you. Ritteri or Mags, are one of the hardest nems to keep. They require probably the most lighting of any of the hosting anemones, and most don't handle the stress from shipping and sitting in lfs under poor lighting very well and develop bacterial infections. They often need to be treated with cipro if they start going through a inflate/deflate cycle or the mouth stays open. Check the other threads for treatment methods. They also for the most part like high random flow. All that being said yours for the most part appears to be looking a lot better than it did before. If you can answer the questions that worm ask we can give you some more help and care tips on these amazing nems. Take a look at the Mag show off thread. Hope this post made sense because im laying in bed and half asleep. Will check this thread again in the morning.

moe458
07/17/2013, 07:45 AM
by the way love your vid man..it's looking lovely.

Size:
It's a 90 Gallon.

Lighting:
I have 4 T5 lights right now..but hang on. I'm getting LED's in next 5 days which will replace the currect lighting system. here are the details for the lights which I'm getting:

Led:99x3w ,voltage:AC85-264V,
size:800x212x60mm.
Ratio:660/460/420/525/12000k
1 3. Leds: 90 degree; Optical lens: 60 degree

Salinity: 1.024 - 1.025 in between
pH: 8.1
Amonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: less than 10ppm
Flow: Jebeo wp40 (just replaced 1 week ago - had alot of dead spots with Korilla crap)
Sump: 25 gallon
HOB SWC Skimmer: doing good so far but will replace later with something good in a month period

Live Rock: 140lbs

Inhabitants:
1 Royal Blue Tang
2 Clown Fish
4 Green Chromis
2 Fire Gobies
1 Yellow Tang
-1 Brown Tang (vanished for 4 days, not sure where)
-1 Long spine Black Urchin (got rid of him, lazy bastard was eating up all purple algae)
1 Sea Hare (Hopefully will clean up some stuff GHA)
4 serpent sea starfish
1 red shrimp(not sure what you call him)
1 red dotted shrimp
6 snails i'm guessing
some blue leg crabs..hidden somewhere

I got rid of the urchin, I think it was stingging my fish i'm guessing..blue tang has some white sting looking dot (not ich) and also my brown kole is missing...anyhow...i'm sure this was related to urchin so I replaced him with sea hare...it's getting better as I see her everyday slowly going away.

Flow on the aneonme is excellent..i guess the picture explains it a bit...I'll try to make a small vid tonight and post it for your review.

worm5406
07/17/2013, 03:24 PM
Very nice.

Thank you for the tank specs. This helps a lot to see the nature and husbandry of your tank.

The anemone should do good in the tank with the attention to detail that you exhibit so far. The true test is to know and understand it's daily ritual and know how it will react on conditions in the tank.

Word of warning with power heads, any tank that has anemones in it should have a foam cover or tight mesh cover of it. While this will reduce the overall flow and require cleaning, it is much better than something to get in it and shredded apart.

A video will help show the flow rate and nature of how it is adapting/acclimating to the tank better than a picture.

Keep on updating and asking questions. We are a world of knowledge and still learning at the same time, as every tank and inhabitant is different.

Thanks

-Larry

BTW any problems with it and you should already be ready with a QT/HT for it. As these are difficult to acclimate from poor shipping, those that do survive tend to do as best as can be expected in an aquarium environment.

moe458
07/17/2013, 05:58 PM
Larry, Thanks for the information..

Here is the youtube vid I just uploaded. Check it out and feel free to provide feedback. Once I have the LED's I'm going to post another vid to show the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E6nNUuafyw

moe458
07/17/2013, 05:59 PM
He LIED to you. Ritteri or Mags, are one of the hardest nems to keep. They require probably the most lighting of any of the hosting anemones, and most don't handle the stress from shipping and sitting in lfs under poor lighting very well and develop bacterial infections. They often need to be treated with cipro if they start going through a inflate/deflate cycle or the mouth stays open. Check the other threads for treatment methods. They also for the most part like high random flow. All that being said yours for the most part appears to be looking a lot better than it did before. If you can answer the questions that worm ask we can give you some more help and care tips on these amazing nems. Take a look at the Mag show off thread. Hope this post made sense because im laying in bed and half asleep. Will check this thread again in the morning.

I guess he did lie. They just want to make some sales..can't blame them. Thanks for the cipro info. I'll check it out.

worm5406
07/17/2013, 08:51 PM
Larry, Thanks for the information..

Here is the youtube vid I just uploaded. Check it out and feel free to provide feedback. Once I have the LED's I'm going to post another vid to show the differences.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6E6nNUuafyw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice I started to watch it then my internet slowed down. I will watch it again later and give you some feed back.

moe458
07/17/2013, 09:01 PM
Cool no worries I'll wait..thx