PDA

View Full Version : frag plugs

bufu11
07/16/2013, 02:29 PM
Looking into making some plugs. Just curious which ones everyone uses? and good DIY plus? online vendor?

accordsirh22
07/16/2013, 10:22 PM
i use the ones from bulkreefsupply

akitareefer
07/16/2013, 11:12 PM
I like coralplugs.com

organism
07/17/2013, 01:00 PM
Whatever cheapest ceramic ones I can find...

smiz
07/17/2013, 04:20 PM
im currently mainly use ceramic pugs also

bufu11
07/18/2013, 06:41 PM
benefits of ceramic? or just preference?

akitareefer
07/18/2013, 07:05 PM
Ceramic ones don't need to be cured and if their not porous they don't get as much algae.

organism
07/18/2013, 07:42 PM
You can use less glue too, or even better superglue gel with accelerator, since they're not as absorbent as aragonite plugs.

RussFL
07/21/2013, 05:51 PM
Marinedepot.com has a good selection for cheap.

Normalaquatics
07/22/2013, 08:17 AM
I get the rock rubble from Bulk Reef Supply. Otherwise I see if I have any small broken pieces of rubble in my tank.

351winsor
08/01/2013, 12:00 AM
I go back and forth between the oceanswonders and saltcritters frags.
I like the oceans woders because they have arrogine or ceramic and if ya get in on a group buy their super cheap! Their ceramic "rocks" are sweet fer letting zoas really grow and fill out a rock.
I like the saltcritters ones because they offer 1/4" stem which is super easy to find a place to jab em into your rock and because they offer a 1 1/4" head plug. Their "disks" are a waist so pass their square tiles are pretty nice if yer into tiles.....but mainly cause their stupid cheap! Shipping is also super cheap! Down side is that their not allways perfect because their hand made and their not allways cured. But I can live with both of those things!

With arragonite plugs I usually throw em in a mesh bag and leave em in the back part of my toilet tank to cure. I can put a lot back there and everytime I flush I do a water change! Super easy way to "cure" plugs, discs and tiles

gmneil
08/30/2013, 02:02 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594606

cooterbrown
08/30/2013, 10:04 AM
I make my own out of regular grey Portland cement and cast them in a 5g bucket of sand. Then throw them in the back of the toilet to cure for a month. Water change everytime you flush! I make about 100 a week and t costs me almost nothing. 80# bag of cement costs like 8$. And after several thousand plugs I haven't put a dent in it. If you want them more porous you can add fine rock salt to the mix and when they cure the salt dissolves out. Mix up the cement really wet and use a funnel to pour it into the sand molds. You can make plugs disks tiles whatever. I also mix up wet cement then pour it into a shop towel and squeeze the water out and then mould it into anything I want. My favorite is little frag plug holders. Before it sets up just push a frag plug into the middle and then let it cure ad voila your got a flat bottomed rock that you can drop a frg plug right into so when an sps or encrusting coral encrusts it doesn't show the plug