PDA

View Full Version : Herbie Help

doctorvu
07/17/2013, 08:05 AM
Hi everyone! I have what seems to be a stupid question (if there is such a thing). I am returning to hobby after 20 years and setting up a 120 XH with sump in the basement directly under show tank by about 10 feet. I have dual overflow, 2 holes in each corner. My question is can I keep 1 return in each corner, and have one corner be Herbie drain and the other corner be my "emergency" drain? I am trying to silence my drains and currently have stockmans set up (one in each corner) which are OK so far....I have to make them taller to eliminate the "waterfall" noise as my water height in my overflows is about 2 or so inches less than the height of the overflow wall. I am hoping to have someone with more experience with trial and error save me some aggravation. Thanks!!

daplatapus
07/17/2013, 08:12 AM
I think the only problem with that set up, is you get no water movement in the one overflow with the emergency drain. That water goes in the overflow and stagnates.

doctorvu
07/17/2013, 09:00 AM
great point....thanks.

Snausy
07/17/2013, 02:12 PM
Just run your returns up over the back with some tubing and a few 90's... I have my 300 set up that way. Two mains, two emergencies and then the returns come over the top-back down into the overflow on each side.

Then out a bulkhead hole in the overflow face into the tank with a lock-line jet. Very clean and looks built in.

Works well if you can afford an inch or two behind the tank.

doctorvu
07/17/2013, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I think I'm heading that direction. Wife wants it SILENT since it is in the family room....still working on getting my stockman's and overflow quieter, but the reviews of the herbie are so strong it seems like that's the best way to go. Thanks for your input and taking the time to offer help!

michael.lemke
07/17/2013, 10:11 PM
Just run your returns up over the back with some tubing and a few 90's... I have my 300 set up that way. Two mains, two emergencies and then the returns come over the top-back down into the overflow on each side.

Then out a bulkhead hole in the overflow face into the tank with a lock-line jet. Very clean and looks built in.

Works well if you can afford an inch or two behind the tank.

Plus 1. I am running "dual herbies" in my 120 and drilled the back for the return. Silent.