PDA

View Full Version : Ideas please; Plumbing QT into system

SavingOurSeas
07/17/2013, 07:05 PM
I would like at least two QT systems, one for corral and the other for fish. The reason being is the treatments vary in materials used if the need should arise.

This is the part I am debating on or rather not quite so sure of the details; how can I plumb the QT into the main display and into the refugium?
Is this necessary/possible?
I have been thinking of running a line from the MD/R into the QT and then having a dump/drain valve.

My question is this, how can I isolate the QT for 30+ days and still have water flow via S/F?
It almost seems to me that I should have a completely separate system when it comes to having a QT, but I don't want that :deadhorse:

ca1ore
07/17/2013, 07:25 PM
Sorry, but the whole point of a quarantine is to have it separate from the main system. I suppose you could run an observation tank off the main system and then 'disconnect' it when the time comes to quarantine an animal, but any medication would then prevent reconnection, so I don't really see the point.

kriv4o
07/17/2013, 08:04 PM
^ what he said. Kinda defeating the purpose here. Even if you have 2 separate QT they essentially became one once you plumb them together. Also anything you treat with would go into your main system. Might as well add everything in, skipping QT.

sleepydoc
07/17/2013, 09:00 PM
+2
Quarantine: a state, period, or place of isolation in which people or animals that have arrived from elsewhere or been exposed to infectious or contagious disease are placed

If the QT is tied to the sump, it is by definition not a quarantine tank any more.

Sn8kbyt
07/17/2013, 09:59 PM
+3
That would be like living in a two family house that shares the same forced air heating/AC and your neighbors have a highly infectious air borne disease. It is either completely separate or it is not a QT.

ca1ore
07/18/2013, 11:43 AM
Many years ago I had this brilliant idea that if I had a second tank within the same system, but ran all water out of the second tank through a UV that I would be effectively isolating any diseases. Didn't work as the UV can never be 100% effective - and you still have the treatment problem.

SavingOurSeas
08/18/2013, 09:28 PM
I think I may have misstated my intentions. Please, forgive me. At times I do not explain myself very well.
I will try again. Please, have patience with my elaboration skills, they are not quite up to acceptable par with my sleeping regiment, again please forgive me.

My initial thoughts were to plumb the QT onto the system at the tail end of it, not make it into a continuous cycle. Thus, the QT would (at the turn of a gate valve) receive water from the refugium.
After treatment of livestock the remaining contents would then be dumped, QT being cleaned and flushed awaiting the next addition of livestock needing QTed/treatment.
I hope I removed any confusion, making prior thoughts more clear for further discussion.

SUMIXAM
08/18/2013, 09:37 PM
So the only purpose of connecting your QT to your sump/DT is for ease of water transport from sump/DT to your QT?

Kyle918
08/18/2013, 09:52 PM
Then that makes more sense if you only intend to use it as a way to get water to the QT and not return it back to the main tank. I don't see a problem with that, especially if the water coming from the DT is through a pipe above the waterline to ensure it is not connected in any way to the DT.

I think you are trying to do too much in QT. The whole purpose isn't to have all this complex equipment to maintain it but rather be very minimal. Your coral QT will become a frag tank I would think and having your fish QT connected to your DT can share disease if any arise. Completely separate....and minimalistic is usually recommended for QT as it is simpler and completely isolated which is really what this boils down too.

ca1ore
08/19/2013, 05:45 AM
Then that makes more sense if you only intend to use it as a way to get water to the QT and not return it back to the main tank. I don't see a problem with that, especially if the water coming from the DT is through a pipe above the waterline to ensure it is not connected in any way to the DT.

I actually have my QT setup this way. Even though I do keep a bag of biological filter media in my main sump to seed the QT, I still do have ammonia problems occasionally in QT, so being able to quickly and easily do a water change from the DT is quite convenient. Basically, I add 10 gallons of freshly mixed salt water to my DT, let things circulate for a while, and then pump 10 gallons out to my QT via a pipe positioned above the QT. Essential that no water be able to travel back to the DT though. An adjustable standpipe in the QT allows me to easily empty the tank when I need to.

sleepydoc
08/19/2013, 03:03 PM
I actually have my QT setup this way. Even though I do keep a bag of biological filter media in my main sump to seed the QT, I still do have ammonia problems occasionally in QT, so being able to quickly and easily do a water change from the DT is quite convenient. Basically, I add 10 gallons of freshly mixed salt water to my DT, let things circulate for a while, and then pump 10 gallons out to my QT via a pipe positioned above the QT. Essential that no water be able to travel back to the DT though. An adjustable standpipe in the QT allows me to easily empty the tank when I need to.

As long as there's no path back to the DT it should be OK. It sounds like you've done this, but make sure that there's no way water could inadvertently flow backwards.

If ammonia is a concern, just doing a straight water change in the QT is probably a better option, though. The amount of nitrifying bacteria in the water column is minimal, and used water from the QT may actually cary waste products with it that would make the NH4 worse.

ca1ore
08/19/2013, 04:47 PM
As long as there's no path back to the DT it should be OK. It sounds like you've done this, but make sure that there's no way water could inadvertently flow backwards.

There isn't, unless the laws of physics suddenly no crazy - and then we have bigger problems. Good tip on QT W/C, thx.

Epicreefer
08/19/2013, 05:35 PM
By inserting a T and two valves in the return drain from the QT back to the sump you can have a real QT or second tank for frags/ aclimation or a holding tank that's in line. It needs to be above your sump though for gravity return. If this tank is on the right of your sump then it would go return plumbing, valve T or -l( sideways tee) and 2nd valve pointing down so it drains all lines completely. And then your add on tank either to the right or above. This can also be used as a water change tank with another drain bulkhead in the bottom which would be a good idea anyway. If you use as a QT you can let it air dry a few days before refilling or better yet a light bleach rinse before you drain. It would be necessary to have filtration etc if it were a true isolated QT unless you did big water changes daily which isn't too hard if you have the valves in place to drain it.