PDA

View Full Version : Anybody running 2 MP60s in a 120G Mixed Reef?

higorc
07/18/2013, 09:11 AM
Hi guys,

I am currently running 2 MP40s in Anti-Sync Reef Crest mode in my 120G (48x30x20), but I can't shake the feeling I need more flow.

I just cranked up my Waveline DC-10000 Return Pump to almost full power (about 2500GPH) to get better flow through the return nozzles. It helped, but it still seems like I need more.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/higorc/120G%20Mixed%20Reef%20Journal/leftsidedeepview_zps974b5d09.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/higorc/media/120G%20Mixed%20Reef%20Journal/leftsidedeepview_zps974b5d09.jpg.html)

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/higorc/120G%20Mixed%20Reef%20Journal/frontshot_zps4de2cfd1.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/higorc/media/120G%20Mixed%20Reef%20Journal/frontshot_zps4de2cfd1.jpg.html)

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/higorc/120G%20Mixed%20Reef%20Journal/this3-2_zpsc1e9dc1b.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/higorc/media/120G%20Mixed%20Reef%20Journal/this3-2_zpsc1e9dc1b.jpg.html)

Would 2 MP60s be too much for the tank? I am running the MP40s at 90-95% and wouldn't mind having MP60s and running them at a much lower percentage if that be the case.

I just want to get some 1st hand experience from MP60s users out there so I won't get something I can't use in my tank (maybe this is just my brain getting ready for my next tank upgrade!). I have read they are very powerful pumps with a narrower flow pattern than the MP40s.

Any input is apreciated.

Thanks
Higor

eg8r210
07/18/2013, 09:41 AM
I am pretty certain you would have a sandstorm in that tank with 2 60's (the undertow is pretty amazing). I run a 60 and 40 in my 210 and I think that setup is fine because I have some torches that really don't like all the flow from the 60.

Also, if I remember correctly, the 60 at its lowest setting is the same as the 40 at its highest setting. The 60s move a lot of water. Great for SPS though.

akindbro4u
07/18/2013, 09:44 AM
+1 two 60s is over kill. I would do one 60 and a 40

sent from under the sea

higorc
07/18/2013, 09:49 AM
I am pretty certain you would have a sandstorm in that tank with 2 60's (the undertow is pretty amazing). I run a 60 and 40 in my 210 and I think that setup is fine because I have some torches that really don't like all the flow from the 60.

Also, if I remember correctly, the 60 at its lowest setting is the same as the 40 at its highest setting. The 60s move a lot of water. Great for SPS though.

You are right. The 60s on their lowest is 3500GPH and the 40s 3200GPH. I have run my MP40s at 100% and there is no sign of sand blowing around. But on the other hand running the MP60s in the lowest setting the whole time would make the "up and down revving" impossible. Humm... I might just have answered my questions there...

vitodog
07/18/2013, 10:15 AM
Let me start by saying your tank looks gorgeous. My new tank (124.7g) has the same dimensions as yours (48x30x20). I'll be starting it up in a few days and will also be using 2 MP40's. My question is what size glass did Cadlights use on your tank, 1/2 or 3/4?

higorc
07/18/2013, 10:33 AM
Let me start by saying your tank looks gorgeous. My new tank (124.7g) has the same dimensions as yours (48x30x20). I'll be starting it up in a few days and will also be using 2 MP40's. My question is what size glass did Cadlights use on your tank, 1/2 or 3/4?

Thanks Vito. My tank is 1/2 inch glass.

I think 3/4 is a little bit of overkill for this tank size. On top of that you start to get limited on what magnets will hold on that thickness.

Higor

d2mini
07/18/2013, 10:43 AM
Awesome tank.

I have two mp60's in my 200 but it's 7' long.
On this tank i'd be interested in playing with both mp40's on one side.
Or... put one on the left front and the other on the right back. Run them anti-sync, long pulse. Try 5-10 seconds per pulse. This would help create a gyre and give more even flow throughout the tank. In theory anyway. ;)

I think two 40's on that tank is plenty, you just have to figure out how to maximize your flow coverage.

And if you still need more, you can add some to the back wall pointing forward. I have two 40's mounted that way on my tank but they run at a pretty low setting.

higorc
07/18/2013, 11:04 AM
Awesome tank.

I have two mp60's in my 200 but it's 7' long.
On this tank i'd be interested in playing with both mp40's on one side.
Or... put one on the left front and the other on the right back. Run them anti-sync, long pulse. Try 5-10 seconds per pulse. This would help create a gyre and give more even flow throughout the tank. In theory anyway. ;)

I think two 40's on that tank is plenty, you just have to figure out how to maximize your flow coverage.

And if you still need more, you can add some to the back wall pointing forward. I have two 40's mounted that way on my tank but they run at a pretty low setting.

Thanks for the compliment.

I see where you going with proper positioning here... Unfortunately it placing one of the MP40s in the front glass would be kind of an eye sore! :lol2:

But, the repositioning of the pumps to get a different flow going is a good idea. Right now I have them more or less facing each other at different heights. I will try moving them a little left/right when I get home and see what I get.

Thanks
Higor

dkeller_nc
07/18/2013, 11:14 AM
A couple of suggestions/thoughts:

More powerheads at lower flow is almost always better than fewer powerheads at higher flow, simply because you can get better coverage.

Loc-line has an enormous amount of friction associated with it. If you can live without re-positioning the return direction, you can install 1/2" all-thread pipe bushings and either 45 degree or 90 degree elbows in their place. I have a much smaller tank (50 gal cube) and a 500 gph pump @ 0 head supplied by CadLights. Replacing the loc line with an all-thread bushing and a 45 deg elbow improved flow to the main tank by roughly half.

d2mini
07/18/2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the compliment.

I see where you going with proper positioning here... Unfortunately it placing one of the MP40s in the front glass would be kind of an eye sore! :lol2:

But, the repositioning of the pumps to get a different flow going is a good idea. Right now I have them more or less facing each other at different heights. I will try moving them a little left/right when I get home and see what I get.

Thanks
Higor

haha, sorry... i didn't mean on the front glass.
I was saying that you place both on the sides, but one of them towards the front pane, and the other towards the back pane. So they are still on the side, pointing towards each other but they are offset from each other. I currently have my mp60's set up this way.

kungfukid
08/14/2013, 12:14 PM
very nice setup Higorc
not sure withing using the return pump to provide more flow is a good thing. The main function of the return is to bring the water back to the main tank .

maybe consider adding another power head instead perhaps?

do not forget to post some video of your tank like you did on other forums (reef 2 reef, boston...etc)
great job

higorc
08/21/2013, 08:01 AM
very nice setup Higorc
not sure withing using the return pump to provide more flow is a good thing. The main function of the return is to bring the water back to the main tank .

maybe consider adding another power head instead perhaps?

do not forget to post some video of your tank like you did on other forums (reef 2 reef, boston...etc)
great job

Thanks man. I moved the MP40s a little bit. One is more towards the front of the tank and the other more towards the back so they are not just facing each other from oposite sides of the tank.

There is A LOT more flow now!;) I think there is kind of a "gyro" flow going on now in the whole tank. I even had to dial it down because it started to move my sand! I have it set in Reef Crest - Anti Sync mode.

I think the issue before was that the pumps were just pushing water against each other.

I will try to take a video later of how the pumps are positioned now.

Thanks
Higor

GAM GAM
08/21/2013, 05:02 PM
I have a 120 long (60") and run 2 mp40's and two mp60's on it. I had to remove quite a bit of sand (because of storms) and replaced with crushed coral. I can honestly say that I feel that my tank has proper flow (heavy sps). Your sand will be a problem but just siphon it out over a few water changes and switch it out. I run them on lagoon- with all in sync mode. Seems to keep the pylops moving.