PDA

View Full Version : So you think you've got a big skimmer?

hogfanreefer
07/18/2013, 02:52 PM
Check these two out. Not sure how tall for sure but well over 10 feet.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/huntindoc/megaskimmer_zps61f6f0b4.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/huntindoc/megaskmr2_zps73be6f10.jpg

Cool to see such a large version of my little skimmer.

xDempsey
07/18/2013, 02:57 PM
I don't get the white color. I figured they would have painted it black.

hogfanreefer
07/18/2013, 03:09 PM
I don't get the white color. I figured they would have painted it black.

Actually they were gray.

aleok
07/18/2013, 03:12 PM
why would black be better?

impressive though, some aquarium?

SaltwaterSensei
07/18/2013, 03:34 PM
very interesting collection "cup" ( not really a cup at that size). it looks like its splits into 4 small tubes.

Allmost
07/18/2013, 03:37 PM
very interesting collection "cup" ( not really a cup at that size). it looks like its splits into 4 small tubes.

those are the self cleaning pipes mostly. One is drain, others are fresh water, which usually comes on couple times a day, to rinse the inside of the "cup"

doublejhunter
07/18/2013, 03:38 PM
I think those are sprayers to clean it. It looks like it's bolted on so to clean it they probably open a drain valve and turn on spray water.

hogfanreefer
07/18/2013, 03:45 PM
why would black be better?

impressive though, some aquarium?

Yep, the one in Destin, FL. They have a FOWLR that is probably several thousand gallons.

DopeCantWin
07/18/2013, 03:49 PM
Yep, the one in Destin, FL. They have a FOWLR that is probably several thousand gallons.

To need something like this, especially FOWLR, I'd think you have to have a tank 10's of thousands of gallons.

hogfanreefer
07/18/2013, 03:58 PM
To need something like this, especially FOWLR, I'd think you have to have a tank 10's of thousands of gallons.

Yeah, that was a small part of their system. There is a dolphin display, sea lion display, shark display and several smaller ones. That's just the one that interested me as a new reefer.

lucky_snapper
07/18/2013, 04:15 PM
You must be talking about the Gulfarium in Okaloosa Island. That place is very close to me. They used to have a aqua farm there that sold corals and fish and I bought many things from them. Their living sea is 50,000 gallons I believe.

hogfanreefer
07/18/2013, 04:54 PM
You must be talking about the Gulfarium in Okaloosa Island. That place is very close to me. They used to have a aqua farm there that sold corals and fish and I bought many things from them. Their living sea is 50,000 gallons I believe.

Yes sir. I have no perspective to work from having never seen a "tank" that large. :spin2:

I don't know how many tangs were in that tank but I bet it's in the hundreds. They had a melanarus wrasse that was at least 6".

Unfortunately I was wrangling grand kids and didnt get to spend a lot of time there.

SaltwaterSensei
07/18/2013, 04:56 PM
those are the self cleaning pipes mostly. One is drain, others are fresh water, which usually comes on couple times a day, to rinse the inside of the "cup"

I was referring to the to the foam neck transitions you can clearly see it transitions to four outlets for the foam. It appears that foam rises out of all four of them. It is Probably to make the automated cleaning easier. But it also is likely giving more surface area for the foam to grab on to as it rises through each of the four tubes. Instead of one large riser where it might be harder to get one giant foam head to rise and drop over into the cup...

greech
07/18/2013, 07:07 PM
Good to know they are self cleaning. My initial thought was...oh the poor intern that has to clean those. Lol.