PDA

View Full Version : Do You Own A Mandarin and A Anemone?

krzyphsygy
07/18/2013, 09:38 PM
I was thinking of getting a Mandarin fish. I have an ample supply of copepods and amphipods to support one but need to consider the 4 rock anemone's that I have also. I know Mandarins like to hover and swim on top or over corals and I do not want the rock anemones to catch it and eat it.

Any thoughts on this??

Brwestern
07/18/2013, 09:44 PM
A rock anemone isn't going to eat your mandarin unless it falls asleep or dies on it.

krzyphsygy
07/18/2013, 10:00 PM
A rock anemone isn't going to eat your mandarin unless it falls asleep or dies on it.

Why wouldn't it? Care to explain? Do you own one? They are super sticky and I can honestly say that when I had to touch them they stung me pretty good.

Also when touched, they close right up. That's why it makes sense to me.

Palting
07/18/2013, 10:37 PM
I have 2 mandarins, 3 rock anemones, 5 mini-maxis, a large 12" BTA, all coexisting more or less for 3 years now (see my sig). A healthy mandarin is smart enough to stay away from anemones. As Brwestern said, the mandarin would have to fall asleep or die, or be really stupid or sickly, for a rock anemone to catch it. My hermits, OTOH, are stupid or blind, and keep falling into them. The rock anemone just goes "Yuch" and lets them out live. LOL!!

krzyphsygy
07/18/2013, 10:50 PM
I have 2 mandarins, 3 rock anemones, 5 mini-maxis, a large 12" BTA, all coexisting more or less for 3 years now (see my sig). A healthy mandarin is smart enough to stay away from anemones. As Brwestern said, the mandarin would have to fall asleep or die, or be really stupid or sickly, for a rock anemone to catch it. My hermits, OTOH, are stupid or blind, and keep falling into them. The rock anemone just goes "Yuch" and lets them out live. LOL!!

Great! I was looking for an explanation is all. So no problem, that's good. Keeping the Mandarin for 3 years is really good. Any feeding habits you care to share? Thanks

Palting
07/18/2013, 10:55 PM
My mandarins are pure live pod eaters. The system has a 30 gallon refugium. I seeded both refugium and DT with live phyto and live pods when I started the tank. Seems to have worked. There's a fat 6-line, too, but he does not really count since he eats anything and not just pods.

BlueFyre
07/19/2013, 08:40 AM
I also have a mandarin in my 65 gallon with 2 bubble tips anemones, 4 rock flower anemones, 1 maxi mini and a tube anemone and he stays well away from all of them.