PDA

View Full Version : dumped 5 gallons on the carpet

moondoggy4
07/19/2013, 01:15 PM
While sucking the dietrus out of my quarantine tank with my Shop Vac the handle gave away and dumping 5 gallons on the old carpet, so I tried to use a fan andvacuum as much as I can up and run the dehumidifier all day?
IS this the best process letting it dry out?
Or should I remove the furniture and lift the carpet and air it out or just throw it out?

NTP66
07/19/2013, 01:48 PM
I dumped a few gallons on my carpet once, and cleaned up using my Bissel wet vac. Worked like a charm. You could try renting a carpet cleaning machine for an hour from your local grocery store or home center. I certainly wouldn't let it just sit and air dry.

AZBigJohn
07/19/2013, 02:04 PM
I would either use your wet vac to try and suck out as much as you can, or go rent a steam machine. The dirty water will smell pretty bad once it dries.

footballcs12
07/19/2013, 02:57 PM
Water evaporates, salt and dookie doesnt.

Donkeykong
07/19/2013, 04:15 PM
Water evaporates, salt and dookie doesnt.

doesnt get more basic than this, rent a carpet cleaner.

James77
07/19/2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah I would carpet clean....or wet with clean water and shop vac out a couple times.

moondoggy4
07/19/2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks everyone going to with the rental wet vacuum. I guess pulling the carpet is a little over zealous, plus a heck of a lot of work.

ca1ore
07/19/2013, 04:57 PM
You have a lot of posts, which suggests you have been in this hobby for a while, so if this is your first spill count me impressed! Although I have managed to not dump more than a cup or two on the carpet adjacent to my DT, the floor in my basement that houses the sump has not been so lucky. At least 5 major spills that I can recall. Of course, a bare concrete floor is pretty simple to clean up.

James77
07/19/2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks everyone going to with the rental wet vacuum. I guess pulling the carpet is a little over zealous, plus a heck of a lot of work.

Yeah...unless you are bored and looking for a huge project, vac'ing will be just as effective :)

moondoggy4
07/19/2013, 09:46 PM
You have a lot of posts, which suggests you have been in this hobby for a while, so if this is your first spill count me impressed! Although I have managed to not dump more than a cup or two on the carpet adjacent to my DT, the floor in my basement that houses the sump has not been so lucky. At least 5 major spills that I can recall. Of course, a bare concrete floor is pretty simple to clean up.

Really more talkative,:dance: I have lots of small spills but this one is a big one for the carpet, sometimes I over think it, the room is smelling musty now, just getting over bronchitis. I will try to rent a machine from the store tonight, my big tank is over tile so no worries there, I have about 20 white towels for those mishaps. Back in the 80's I don't think I ever had a spill, second floor apartment. Spill management number 1 back then, getting sloppy in my old age.:sleep:

ca1ore
07/19/2013, 09:49 PM
The other thing that can help is to either run your A/C or a portable dehumidifier to dry things up more quickly. Will help to prevent any mold growth under the carpet.