PDA

View Full Version : when to run GFO

igot2gats
07/19/2013, 02:58 PM
I starting a 75g tank that will be an SPS reef in the future. Is there a certain time frame that would be optimal to start GFO? (like calcium / kalk reactors for SPS)?

Or is it better to just run it from the start when you begin the cycle?

steelwrap
07/19/2013, 03:32 PM
Test Your phosphate, if they are high then start gfo. If low you don't need gfo.

thegrun
07/19/2013, 03:57 PM
+1, no need to use one if your phosphates are low.

Donkeykong
07/19/2013, 04:13 PM
as stated gfo is run when need to lower phosphates, not something that is run just because you saw the other guy running it.

nly04
07/19/2013, 04:34 PM
I'm new on this hobby, too. I understand that I must measure/check the phospahtes before run GFO. Will it cause problem if I run GFO and Carbon all the time in a dual reactor? or should I set a timer and run few hours a day just prevent?

Donkeykong
07/19/2013, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't leave the reactors off for to long, the water will get stagnate and you run the risk of ammonia developing and then fouling the system when it gets turned back on and Yes the water in a reactor can get nasty in 12 hours of being stagnate. if you are afraid of it being to much, just run 1/2 or less than the recommended amount.

nly04
07/19/2013, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't leave the reactors off for to long, the water will get stagnate and you run the risk of ammonia developing and then fouling the system when it gets turned back on and Yes the water in a reactor can get nasty in 12 hours of being stagnate. if you are afraid of it being to much, just run 1/2 or less than the recommended amount.

Bro Donkey, Good point. but you mean half dose of the recommend or run every other half hour? sorry for asking.

Donkeykong
07/19/2013, 05:07 PM
half of the dosage, better to ask for clarification than just assume something

igot2gats
07/19/2013, 08:35 PM
Test Your phosphate, if they are high then start gfo. If low you don't need gfo.

What is considered LOW phosphates?

barry_keith
07/19/2013, 08:41 PM
For SPS I'd aim for around .03

I'm sure others will say zero, but not me!

Ron Reefman
07/20/2013, 05:34 AM
Low phosphates is when you don't have nuisance algae in the DT and the macro algae in the refugium grows slowly.

Medium phosphates is when you very little or no nuisance algae in the DT and the macro algae in the refugium grows fast enough to harvest every 2-4 weeks.

High phosphates is when you have nuisance algae and the macro algae in the refugium is growing so fast it's hanging out of the tank! :lol2: