PDA

View Full Version : Live sand in bucket question

Tschupe
07/19/2013, 06:06 PM
How long will the sand stay alive in a bucket with water?

phantomg23
07/19/2013, 06:33 PM
not for long most likely. the sand will be so thick most of the surface bearing bacteria may start to die off if at the bottom with no flow or light or whatever it needs to survive. I have no experience doing so but thats what i would assume

Saltydrip
07/19/2013, 07:49 PM
Assumptions arnt always good to go on..

There is no flow or light under the sand. It does need water and it does need nutrients "food". They sell live sand by the bag and bucket full and it does just fine. The key is water. If it gets dry everything dies immediately. I wouldn't waste time with it though. If your system has enough live rock you don't need to worry about your sand.

SinkNSwim
07/19/2013, 08:15 PM
I would say not very long since there are many factors that play into keeping it alive.

Ron Reefman
07/20/2013, 05:42 AM

There is no flow or light under the sand. It does need water and it does need nutrients "food". They sell live sand by the bag and bucket full and it does just fine. The key is water. If it gets dry everything dies immediately. I wouldn't waste time with it though. If your system has enough live rock you don't need to worry about your sand.

Not completely true. There is flow under the sand and it drops off fairly quickly as you get deeper. That's how a DSB works, no oxygen, very low flow at 4-6" deep. It's not what you want to do with your live sand. I'd guess, and it's purely a guess, that a bucket of live sand is OK for 24-72 hours, beyond that, I wouldn't bet on it. But live sand is over rated anyway. Flush it, clean it and use it as sand rather than live sand. It will be live in a matter of days or weeks depending on how mature your tank is.

Ron Reefman
07/20/2013, 05:44 AM

Not completely true, IMHO. There is flow under the sand although it drops off fairly quickly as you get deeper. That's how a DSB works, no oxygen, very low flow at 4-6" deep. It's not what you want to do with your live sand. I'd guess, and it's purely a guess, that a bucket of live sand is OK for 24-72 hours, beyond that, I wouldn't bet on it.

But I agree that live sand is highly over rated anyway. Flush it, clean it and use it as sand rather than live sand. It will be live in a matter of days or weeks depending on how mature your tank is.

dkeller_nc
07/20/2013, 07:44 AM
How long will the sand stay alive in a bucket with water?

You don't say what you mean by "live sand". In the sense of something like Arag-Alive, where the only life is bacteria, then live sand will stay live for weeks assuming that the bucket doesn't go completely stagnant for long periods of time (days).

If you mean actual live sand as you might harvest if from a reef, then it will start to die within a few hours of being removed from the sea and put in a bucket. There are a three major reasons for this - the first is that the act of harvesting it itself will crush small critters that will then start to decay, the second is the fact that many of the critters in truly live sand don't have access to the food that is required to keep them alive in a bucket/tank, and third is the formation of anoxic layers in the lower part of the bucket.

If you're harvesting live sand in this manner, I'd either put it in a tank immediately (within the day, if that long), or thoroughly rinse/wash it with seawater just before putting it in the tank to ensure that you don't introduce a lot of hydrogen sulfide and that you remove any substantial accumulation of ammonia.