PDA

View Full Version : Question about zoo algae

kegogut
07/19/2013, 05:12 PM
My question is,If you have a bleached coral is there any other way to introduce zoo algae to your tank and or corals ? Can you feed your tank phyto or anything to help boost the zoo algae reproduction for the corals or is time the only way for zoo to reproduce inside a coral?

phillipFL
07/20/2013, 03:11 PM
There is a new product out that is exactly this, i think algagen or somthing makes it. Pretty new, just a few months old with mixed reviews. Ive read from some people that it is amazing, i myseld didnt see any diffrence, ive got a chalice im nursing back from bleaching and it didnt do anything to it.

kegogut
07/21/2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the response. I'll look into that product!

mesocosm
07/23/2013, 07:38 AM
While the notion of supplementing zooxanthellae into marine aquaria to aid in the healing of injured corals is certainly intriguing, I doubt that it's going to turn out to be that easy ...

Tamar L. Goulet, Most corals may not change their symbionts
Mar Ecol Prog Se, Vol. 321: 1–7, 2006.
http://reefresilience.org/pdf/m321p001-Most_corals_may_not_change_their_symbionts.pdf

JMO ... :fun4:

phillipFL
07/23/2013, 06:58 PM
dunno, i only really watched one particular coral, but as i said, other mentioned having a night and day reaction, saying within days their tanks was more colorful and healthier, i dont tend to rush to believe any research i come across, if it was so easy to find answers, we all would have perfect tanks