PDA

View Full Version : Water flow

mpderksen
07/19/2013, 07:31 PM
Sister post to my one on clean-up crew:
On the new 75g, I have a return that is split from a strong enough pump, and an MP10. Dead spots suck. Should I position the MP10 so that it points BEHIND the rockwork for circulation? If I stack the rock away from the back wall, I could generate decent flow to keep the collection to a minimum. Is this the best way?
As I begin my LR selection, I will focus on bigger, more stable pieces for the foundation, since last time I set this one up it was a jumble of softballs.
Suggestions on this from the beginning will certainly save me lots of headaches in the future.

Michael

AZBigJohn
07/19/2013, 07:41 PM
I would think you would want at least one more MP10, I thought those were for nano (under 30 gallon) tanks, but I may be mistaken. I would think you would want one on one side on the back, and one on the other side towards the front, so you have a good flow throughout the tank.

I know dead spots were a mjor problem for me, and I had cyano problems until I got better flow throughout the system.

Psyops
07/19/2013, 07:52 PM
In a 75 gallon tank you probably would need more than a MP10. IF money permits, off course, two MP40s would be the best situation. Having your rockwork away from the back is better but up to you. I have actually two Korralias (spelling?) in the back part. They are much cheaper than MPs also and they run 24/7. The reason you want a larger wavemaker is that you can dial them down in smaller systems and they would last longer. An MP10 is much too small for your system. Hope this helps.

Alex

reefer999
07/19/2013, 10:28 PM
I would go with two MP40's, one MP10 isn't going to cut it in that size tank no matter where you place it.