PDA

View Full Version : auto feeder and mysis

Dashiki
07/19/2013, 09:23 PM
I'm looking to set up an auto feeder for Mysis.

Can I use a peristaltic pump or will I need a syringe pump.

Also what is the shelf life of pe Mysis in a refrigerator?

noy
07/19/2013, 09:54 PM
Is this for sun corals?

Dashiki
07/20/2013, 07:14 AM
Seahorses

camblonie
07/20/2013, 07:25 AM
Are you planning to refrigerate your mechanism then or run a line from a near by refrigerator?

noy
07/20/2013, 07:53 AM
here is a thread I came across before - dosing pumps to feed seahorses

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/307716-automatic-feeder-for-nps/

my gut feel is that you run the risk of clogging the line due to size of the shrimps.

As for shelf live - they say you can keep commercially frozen fish for upward to a year - shrimp 6-8 past its printed sell by date (and this is for human consumption). So i'm guessing upwards of 8 months.

Dashiki
07/20/2013, 09:27 AM
Sorry I guess I should have added more information

I plan on adding an auto feeder to my 60 cube seahorse tank

My plans are to drill through the fridge like others have and run it through a venturi.

My question is what style pump peristaltic or syringe to feed the Mysis.

So the Mysis would sit in salt or rodi water solution and be pumped into the tank through the venturi and into the display.

For shelf life I was wondering about the shelf life of refrigerated but thawed Mysis in water.

Dashiki
07/20/2013, 09:29 AM
That link looks to have great info thank you Noy.

GreshamH
07/21/2013, 12:26 PM
here is a thread I came across before - dosing pumps to feed seahorses

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/307716-automatic-feeder-for-nps/

my gut feel is that you run the risk of clogging the line due to size of the shrimps.

As for shelf live - they say you can keep commercially frozen fish for upward to a year - shrimp 6-8 past its printed sell by date (and this is for human consumption). So i'm guessing upwards of 8 months.

Keyword being FROZEN. once thawed that does not apply. He's feeding thawed seafood, not frozen ;)

fishguy194
07/26/2013, 10:47 AM
What about Reef Nutrition's Mysis Feast? It's supposed to be kept refrigerated and not frozen. I'm not sure about doser compatibility though.

GreshamH
07/27/2013, 10:18 AM
Undiluted and refrigerated, sure, as long as the tubing is kept refrigerated and is large enough ID to pass them. Diluted, all bets off.

AdamSabina
07/30/2013, 09:52 AM
My mysis shrimp only ever lasted 3-4 days before it gets a BAD smell. My sea horse and pipe fish didn't seem to mind but I tried to change it every 2-3 days once I discovered that.

As for auto feeders I never tried one.