PDA

View Full Version : My clown is a B

aydemir
07/21/2013, 11:43 AM
Just wondering for those of you with much more aggressive type clowns, do you just man up and take the attacks when you're fragging, cutting, propagating (etc) in the tank, or do you try and chase it away with one hand? My 3 inch ocellaris is really annoying whenever I reach into the tank, it constantly attacks me :rollface:
I actually managed to net it yesterday, easiest coral epoxy job ever :lmao:
edit: or any other aggressive fish

Reefmedic79
07/21/2013, 12:18 PM
Elbow/shoulder length gloves. An Ocellaris is unlikely to cause any harm, but I had a Tomato clown break the skin once, and used to do maintenance on a tank with an extremely aggressive Bursa Trigger that would bite anything put into the tank.

xrayjeeper83
07/21/2013, 12:39 PM
I have a clwon that attacks me but doesn't hurt, my puffer on the other hand has turned into a mean little thing. Has broken the skin once so far.

Bratyboy2
07/21/2013, 12:52 PM
Mine are scared of me lol but my buddies are nasty clowns. Its funny as hell though watching in his tank when she strikes! Screams like a girl

BlindZide
07/21/2013, 02:06 PM
Nothing bothers me except my Fire Clown. Smallest fish in my tank but has the biggest temper. Like one of those yapping ankle biting dogs that think they are Wolves........

FTDelta
07/21/2013, 04:41 PM
Heh - funny stories of clowns biting hands/fingers. Next time they do/try it, flick him a good one. Maybe he'll get the message.

CKI
07/21/2013, 04:48 PM
my clowns swim all around my hand and well let me pet em! .... My 7" Foxface will allow me to rub his side as well ... the tang on the other hand, that lil' booger hides with a quickness

Mpfaff77
07/21/2013, 04:49 PM
My female clown is named Cujo. She is always going after me. I wear gloves and she stays away. Even barehanded she won't break skin but quite scary a fish charging at you and can't help but pull away. I have nailed my elbow many times from being jumpy.

Sugar Magnolia
07/21/2013, 07:57 PM
My female true perc is very docile. Years ago I had a clarkki. She grew fast and had visible teeth. She drew blood, many times.

Dissy
07/21/2013, 08:53 PM
I just flick my maroon in the nose.. Eventually, it gets it.

Teage29
07/21/2013, 09:02 PM
My female clown will leave little marks on my hand from biting me. Also if I take the lid of my fish tank and make a quick movement near the top of the tank she will splash me with her tail and get water all over the place! That's why I call her Karma, because karma can be a B.

crsswift70
07/21/2013, 09:10 PM
I have two spots on my hand right now from moving rocks around the tank earlier. She waits until i have the rock in my hand then grabs on to the web of my hand and shakes like a great white. When i had to move a lot of rock a few years ago, both of my hands were bleeding around the web from her. No fun. They are false perculas and she is the devil.

Spyderturbo007
07/22/2013, 06:28 AM
Mine does that too whenever I put my hand in the tank. She always seems to do a great job of biting the back of my hand at the moment that I touch something in the tank. :D

BlueFyre
07/22/2013, 09:17 AM
My female true perc bit me once. It hurt and broke skin. I was surprised such a little fish could do that much damage. I bought long gloves to work in the tank after than. She's never mad an effort to bite me since.

eastfernstreet
07/22/2013, 09:23 AM
Here's a post with some clown damage from a while ago. YIKES!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2277707&highlight=clown+bite

aydemir
07/22/2013, 10:45 PM
I've found it easier to wait till night time when I have to move a lot of rocks around or place corals, since my clown sleeps in its anemone i can net it pretty easily, but most of the time I'm too lazy and just let it attack me lol

Benar
07/22/2013, 11:12 PM
I had an evil pink skunk that only went for my knuckles. It was a nuisance, so when I upgraded they went to a new home. Now however, I have a clown tang to compete with, my hand leaves the water the minute he even looks my way, the vlamingi is just a splasher.

CoralBeauty13
02/25/2014, 12:00 PM
on my way to buy some gloves .....

julie180
02/25/2014, 12:07 PM
Some once told me they put a net in the tank when they want to work and the clowns stay away. Worth a try. Mine are nippers, but never a real problem.

Pigpen17
02/25/2014, 12:14 PM
My female true perc is very docile. Years ago I had a clarkki. She grew fast and had visible teeth. She drew blood, many times.

Me too. My Clarkii left a mark on my knuckle once that looked like the serrated cuts you get from a tape dispenser. I had a big net and used to put it between us if I needed to put my hands in the tank.

davocean
02/25/2014, 12:42 PM
Pretty much all clowns are this way.
I have broken corals from being startled.
I'm feeling pretty lucky that my picasso's I've had nearly 5 years now have never been mean at all, hopefully it stays this way.
For my meanest maroon I learned a trick that worked for me.
I wore a shiny watch, and she attacked her reflection, so she hit the watch, not my skin.
I'm sure any shiny jewelry would do the same.
Eventually she mellowed after I did this a while, maybe that watch dulled her teeth!
When I kept her that became routine, never went in tank w/out that watch on, what a sissy, I'm 200lbs and that tiny lil fish got the best of me!

Daenerys
02/25/2014, 04:12 PM
I was moving the tomato clown a few days ago, and she sunk her teeth in the net when I was trying to release her into the new tank. I couldn't shake her out, like a pitbull.
I saw her teeth, but didn't realize she will bite me too. The smaller guy used to scraping food of my nail and it felt like a nail file..but she chases him away, so he stopped doing that.
Now I will be careful putting my hands in the water.
She didn't bite me before b/c I was splashing her with water for chasing the little guy relentlessly. It works only if I do it consistently, when I stop for a few days, she would need a reminder, otherwise she is scared of the sound I make with fingers and "BB, no fighting!" command. She usually hides for a second. I should not hope to keep my hands dry ever.

Grizzle56
02/25/2014, 08:49 PM
I have a female clown that is just plain nasty. Every time I try to clean the glass she attacks whatever I am using. If I put my hand in even if I am at the far end of the 6 ft tank she comes charging across the tank to "get" me. :)