PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI water?

Kennyleary93
07/21/2013, 12:11 PM
Well I didn't realize this but originally I filled my tank with tap water and used conditioner which I know is a huge mistake. But I have been topping it off with RO/DI water. Is this ok or will I have to drain the tank?

snulma1
07/21/2013, 12:14 PM
you should be fine, maybe do your water changes a little more frequently for the first few weeks

Reefmedic79
07/21/2013, 12:15 PM
you should be fine, maybe do your water changes a little more frequently for the first few weeks

+1

Painted skin
07/21/2013, 12:44 PM
If you have ro/di yes eventually keep switching out with the water changes not just top off.

I use tap yes it's a taboo, but my water source is super clean and I don't just use prime and dump it into the tank like most. I treat mine with GFO and AC prior putting into DT..

And besides I'm running fowlr now, but before I had sps dominant.

Dmorty217
07/21/2013, 12:56 PM
Well I didn't realize this but originally I filled my tank with tap water and used conditioner which I know is a huge mistake. But I have been topping it off with RO/DI water. Is this ok or will I have to drain the tank?

Is the tank cycled? What will be in the tank? Reef, fish only...? Don't drain the tank whatever you do

bnumair
07/21/2013, 02:02 PM
do frequent water changes and after so many changes you will rid all the tap water used.

planedoc
07/21/2013, 02:19 PM
Tap water (not sure what's in yours) leads to long term problems because most cities have high levels of phosphate and high TDS , there is no way to know what dissolved solids are in it without lab testing. When water evaporates only pure water evaporates (not any solids/minerals , that is why your top off water does not need salt. What ever solids are in the water you use will continue to build in the tank everytime you add water. That is why it's a long term problem. The only way to know your not adding something that you don't want into your tank is to use purified water. You are fine starting with tap, just don't keep doing it.

bnumair
07/21/2013, 05:10 PM
sorry wrong thread.

RussFL
07/21/2013, 05:34 PM
I would do large water changes (25%) with Ro/DI every week for a couple of months. The tap water will be all but gone in a few months. There is a calculator on here to see how much of the original water will remain as time goes by.