PDA

View Full Version : Edible bubble algae - Valonia macrophysa

robvdv
07/21/2013, 01:54 PM
Bit of an oddball question, but has anyone eaten Valonia macrophysa before? I had lunch with an experimental chef this weekend. He's interested in trying it out, and I'm interested in not killing him.

Subsea
07/21/2013, 02:30 PM
It will not kill anyone. Why pick bubble algae with all of the other great ediable macroalgae. Yes, I taste most macro algae in my growout systems.
Patrtick

robvdv
07/21/2013, 11:29 PM
What does it taste like? Do you think you'd be able to use it in a salad or something?

Subsea
07/22/2013, 04:57 AM
No taste aside from slightly salty. The texture was a turn off as well. I would compare it to eating Ulva straight from the culture tank. I suggest Red Ogo with a crisp texture and a slightly salty cucumber flavor. I also use it as the last ingredient in chevichee, before the lemon juice begins to break down the texture
Patrick

robvdv
07/22/2013, 12:13 PM
Nice idea. Thanks! Bubble algae is pretty and unique, so I'd consider it for a garnish mostly. I was thinking of soaking it before to give it some flavour. Perhaps you could soak it and then freeze it to get away from the texture problem. Anyway, I'll give it a go.