tatuaje08
07/21/2013, 05:44 PM
Which do you prefer, and why?

Misled
07/21/2013, 06:03 PM
How bout neither.

degibson84
07/21/2013, 06:08 PM
have never seen fish tank kings as my cable provider charges extra for a package that contains Nat Geo. But I dont mind watching tanked. I hate that everything is made. no corals just molded plastic "coral inserts" as they call them.

tatuaje08
07/21/2013, 06:11 PM
have never seen fish tank kings as my cable provider charges extra for a package that contains Nat Geo. But I dont mind watching tanked. I hate that everything is made. no corals just molded plastic "coral inserts" as they call them.

Most of their clients aren't necessarily 'reef' keepers, so they use inserts as opposed to live coral. However, I have seen a lot of their buids at least utilize live rock in the dt or sump.

tony312t4
07/21/2013, 06:15 PM
Neither, both are too scripted with awkward jokes/interactions.

bnumair
07/21/2013, 06:16 PM
not good for hobby... neither.

oquockyo
Both suck.

jdhuyvetter
Neither

tatuaje08
07/21/2013, 06:17 PM
Neither, both are too scripted with awkward jokes/interactions.

Sorry to break it to you, but there is no such thing as an unscripted reality show.

tatuaje08
07/21/2013, 06:18 PM
not good for hobby... neither.

How so?

terrypercula
07/21/2013, 06:19 PM
I'd say tanked is more entertaining although I feel they give people the perception you can just toss a bunch of fish into a tank the day you set it up and call it a day.

tatuaje08
07/21/2013, 06:20 PM
I'd say tanked is more entertaining although I feel they give people the perception you can just toss a bunch of fish into a tank the day you set it up and call it a day.

I hear that a lot, but realistically, nobody watching at home will do that.

cloak
07/21/2013, 06:44 PM
I like McDonalds fry's much better than Wendy's. Wait, what are we talking about? ;)

choirboy
07/21/2013, 06:50 PM
They're just silly tv shows. I guess the owners are making lots of money, though its hard to know. But I agree with what bnumair said. It is not good for the hobby. They show the home aquarium much more as a commodity and profit center instead of a hobby born out of the desire to offer marine life a healthy and safe environment to live, grow, and hopefully thrive in.

bnumair
07/21/2013, 06:54 PM
How so?

i have answered at least a 100 or so threads with new hobbyist that saw the show and on impulse buy setup a tank with no info or fish requirements etc and things go south then they are here on forums asking for help.
Both shows are good entertainment but they dont show the back stage stuff.
in one show they used ice from a ice bin and used hot water to fill a tank.
People get wrong ideas and then do the same and kill fish then they are on the forums asking for help and when you do give them the best advice the answer sometimes is well they did it on such and such show.

Khemul
07/21/2013, 06:58 PM
... instead of a hobby born out of the desire to offer marine life a healthy and safe environment to live, grow, and hopefully thrive in.
What hobby would that be? :spin1:

Wills612
07/21/2013, 07:34 PM
I thought there was a rule only one fish tank kings/tanked show thread a day.

Dissy
07/21/2013, 08:08 PM
Tanked.

Outrigger Reef
07/21/2013, 08:15 PM
Tanked as it get me thinking about a tank which lead me to find this forum and you all know the rest of the story. :dance:

ridetheducati
07/21/2013, 08:33 PM
How bout neither.

+1k

marvelousone
07/21/2013, 08:44 PM
I like Tanked. They have some cool tank designs. They joke around a lot. We as hobbiest know right from wrong. I am sure there are people out there that has never seen the show. They buy a tank, fill up with saltwater and throw in fish. As a matter fact I have talked to people at lfs that was going to do that. I had to stop them. The sale person was upset with me because they lost a sale.

tank41
07/21/2013, 08:53 PM
Everybody has their opinions about these shows but hay its a show about fish tanks. Beats the others reality shows hands down if you ask me.

malady
07/21/2013, 08:54 PM
def. fish tank kings at least they provide some information instead of lame scripted jokes and recaps that a 5th grader can give

Votts
07/21/2013, 09:03 PM
I was actually on the show Tanked and lemme tell ya, what a scam lol. I was on the pinball tank show.. I did about 2 days worth of work at 12 hour days and all the guys did was taping for the show. They showed me for about 15 seconds and that was it.. They don't do any of the work, they just tape it like they do.. Every tank is outsourced and I do the maintenance on the tank every 2 weeks. they set up stuff like:: on the show that I did they dropped and broke the "RARE" pinball screen.... bull crap that was all staged, and horribly at that. But I can tell you that Brett and Wayde are really good guys FWIW. I can call them if there is an issue and they take care of it immediately.

CenterConsole
07/21/2013, 10:06 PM
Have to agree with the majority here, neither!

FTDelta
07/21/2013, 10:31 PM
I watch Tanked for entertainment value. Fish Tank Kings I watched once and fell asleep during it. Boring as heck....

Drae
07/21/2013, 11:02 PM
ATM makes quality aquariums. I don't care for the show though.

Peter Eichler
07/21/2013, 11:33 PM
What hobby would that be? :spin1:

It's called scuba diving ;)

A_Z
07/22/2013, 04:05 AM
Fish Tank Kings is actually a really good show. Season 2 just finished up yesterday, and it was much better than the first season, which had some good stuff too, I mean the episode where they were collecting Deep Reef fish for a public aquarium was awesome. Not to mention the tour of ORA episode, even though they like to sell coral replicas at least they tried to stress on the show that coral is not a beginner thing one goes to rush out and to do your research first. Overall, they feature way less gimmicky builds than tanked and often the stars of the builds are the organisms placed inside them as they should be. The show also portrays it this way, showing a good amount of time of specimen collection, talking about quarantine, and proper water quality. Also a lot of builds this season were for museums, ocean recovery centers and the like. They even did a vivarium for a species of endangered PDF for a zoo. I also loved when they touched on the aquascaped planted tank, very cool.They have shown some really interesting content on this program and I highly recommend anyone that can to check it out. you have to watch a few episodes to see all the content featured, and a good amount of it is pretty informative for a reality show.

jimlin
07/22/2013, 04:21 AM
i like them both for entertainment purposes.

tuber
07/22/2013, 06:27 AM
tanked - got me back into hobby after long hiatus. would love to see a follow-up on all those tanks though.

terrypercula
07/22/2013, 06:40 AM
I watch Tanked for entertainment value. Fish Tank Kings I watched once and fell asleep during it. Boring as heck....

Amen to that. I couldn't believe they could bore me so much with something I enjoy thoroughly ha

tatuaje08
07/23/2013, 11:01 PM
Amen to that. I couldn't believe they could bore me so much with something I enjoy thoroughly ha

Yup. That's why I laugh at those who complain because tanked skips all the tech talk.

pjwperth
07/24/2013, 02:51 AM
Has anyone got any torrents of fish tank kings season 2

ptbmaniac
07/24/2013, 03:27 AM
I watch the shows just to see the fish,but since there is not a neither option then I say Tanked. Fish Tank Kings take almost everything out of the wild and they spend way too much time arguing! ATM tanks are pretty cool,but their stocking is horrible! Their knowledge of fish is pretty much nothing. And Francis on FTK is a moron! (Not saying that he is not smart). I hate it that he only uses scientific names for everything! Most people watching the show have no idea what he is talking about,including myself! I mean why does he need to say Trachyphyllia geoffroyi when he could easily just say open brain coral? Overall I hate so much about both shows and like a little about both. I just think the guys on Tanked are more personable.

NTP66
07/24/2013, 05:24 AM
I prefer Tanked because of the interaction between Brett and Wade - its hilarious. On FTK, Francis is annoying, and Ben is a whiny douche, so I don't enjoy it as much.

If people watch the show and then go out and overcrowd a tank, etc., it's their own damn fault, not the TV show's. People need to stop making excuses for morons that do that.

Hodge1995
07/24/2013, 06:28 AM
Both Suck.

sslak
07/24/2013, 06:58 AM
Reality shows suck.

advancebc29
07/24/2013, 07:37 AM
Tanked. I want to punch everyone on FTKs in the face as they are so annoying.

JoshuaG
07/24/2013, 09:09 AM
Just watch this video and you can decide which one you like better.

http://natgeotv.com.au/videos/fish-tank-kings/catching-stingrays-E4F34A4A.aspx

moogoomoogoo
07/24/2013, 09:14 AM
They are both staged reality shows. They are what they are. Sometimes tanked is funny.

hunter01975
07/24/2013, 10:24 AM
both are pretty funny shows and most of us know the truth.

I do disagree with being bad for the hobby cause when people are out buying up fish tank stuff that means stores and suppliers are doing good. And when they do good we all get the benefit of cheaper prices and better inventory at our LFS. And sometimes we get the benefit of those people wanting to sell out super cheap after the tank crashes..
The smart people will come along and see what is right and what is wrong and move along.. Dont judge them cause they have more money than brains.

igot2gats
07/24/2013, 11:00 AM
Tanked, hands down.

The personalities of that show are great.

XtremeFromHell
07/24/2013, 12:02 PM
I DVr tanked but usually just fast forward it to just look at how the tanks look and fish tank kings I havnt been able to catch

aandfsoccr04
07/24/2013, 02:16 PM
They are both great! I love programs that will drive people to the hobby. More people that join, more fish stores, competition drives prices down, and better for the end user.

pledosophy
07/24/2013, 03:12 PM

Heather needs her own show

canyousee
07/24/2013, 04:07 PM
both suck.

+1

Holyhands22
07/24/2013, 04:29 PM
We are all in the hobby and are here to learn about this. We gain knowledge from one another and thats what this forum is for. Those tv shows are good for us. Think about it. Fish are becoming more readily available. These tv shows may not be the best for newcomers but they need to take the time and learn about what needs to happen. It doesnt matter if you have been in the hobby for one year or 100 years. We all learn and we know whats wrong and whats wrong. I enjoy both shows to answer the OP. tanked is comical and fish tank kings is more about the fish.

j tavares
07/24/2013, 04:32 PM
NEITHER tHEY DO NOT REPRESENT true AQUARISTS EVERYWHERE

HUNTER1
07/24/2013, 05:26 PM
I like the chick, the assistant. I think she's cute before she puts on a diver suit:)

FTDelta
07/24/2013, 07:44 PM

No can do. I don't want to fall asleep watching FTK on youtube.

rovster
07/24/2013, 07:48 PM
You guys are so uptight, LOL! Tanked by FAR!!!!! Haha :D

BrianD
07/28/2013, 12:17 PM
Sorry to break it to you, but there is no such thing as an unscripted reality show.

How so?

I hear that a lot, but realistically, nobody watching at home will do that.

Yup. That's why I laugh at those who complain because tanked skips all the tech talk.

When you ask people for an opinion, don't be upset when it differs from yours.

tatuaje08
07/28/2013, 12:24 PM
When you ask people for an opinion, don't be upset when it differs from yours.

Who said anyone is upset? I love discussions like this, where people have different opinions.