PDA

View Full Version : lionfish is dying

ArchAngel518
07/21/2013, 05:29 PM
My volitan lion today started acting odd. He began by laying on the sand bed which he never does. He then began to seem to struggle to swim and was at one point blown threw the tank by my blowers. I got him to swim to his cave he normally sleeps and hangs out in. He doesn't seem to be breathing heavy and I see no parasites or a different look to him. I feed him krill and raw shrimp my peramiters are all within good ranges. No other life in my tank appears any different.

Dmorty217
07/21/2013, 07:00 PM
Sounds like a swim bladder issue maybe, if you have antibiotics for fish and a treatment tank this may help. There is another method that works when fish are rapidly decompressed, but that is only with newly collected fish typically

ArchAngel518
07/22/2013, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the help, unfortunately it was to late. This is the first fish to pass on me in almost a year. The last one was a small blue damsil but he was eaten by the lion so I guess nature was involved.

MrTuskfish
07/22/2013, 09:25 AM
I don't know if this has anything to do with your lions death; but regular. long-term feeding of krill has been linked to lockjaw. Also to possible liver problems in other fish.

seahorsedreams
07/22/2013, 04:48 PM
If I may ask a question, I would be grateful.

Where you feeding him anything besides krill and shrimp? What type of krill was it? Freeze dried, frozen? What brand? How long has he been on this diet? Do you enrich regularly. If so, with what, how often and for how long?

Sorry that he passed.