PDA

View Full Version : XLg naso not getting enough to eat!

240gallons
07/21/2013, 05:56 PM
I've had a XL Naso in my 240 for 6 weeks now. I'm feeding 2 x a day with nori and plankton but it eats nori Only. It will not eat from a clip so I basically have to rip the nori up and let it float through the tank before he grabs it.

The fish is very shy and hides when I approach rhe tank. What else can I offer this beast? I have noticed that the fish has become thinner over the past week

Dapg8gt
07/21/2013, 06:02 PM
Plankton? Have you tried the faithful mysis? Or just feed more nori. I have a small naso and he loves spectrum pellets, mysis , flakes, anything literally..

humaguy
07/21/2013, 06:25 PM
fresh clam on half shell, live blood worms- work great!, broccoli, chopped shrimp....

you can try mashing up some fresh seafood/nori into a paste, then smear it all over a piece of lr, tile, cut piece of pvc, or sheet of nori, then freeze it...
after it is frozen place it in the tank, out in the open, hope he will graze on it...
good luck, please keep us updated..

Eville
07/21/2013, 07:18 PM
I remember when I was younger my father would take a small rock or piece of rubble and tie down some shrimp and then cover that with nori when trying to get our Sohal to eat. Agree with Humaguy's suggestions as well, good luck! Naso tangs are beautiful

jjk_reef00
07/22/2013, 01:05 AM
Keep trying NLS pellets. I had an old Naso that only ate NLS and pellets. The one I have now eats everything but sometimes the larger ones have a more difficult time accepting new foods.

240gallons
07/22/2013, 10:41 AM
NLS? Thanks for the feedback..My regal and yellow are not making this an easy feat....they are quick!

humaguy
07/22/2013, 10:44 AM
def try live black worms...

M.phenax
07/22/2013, 11:11 AM
I make my own food. My tangs eat a mix of squid, mussels, shrimp, krill, silversides, nori and a vitamin supplement. Sometimes, I add clams, oysters, or other types of raw fish. They chow it down. Feeding time is a feeding frenzy.

humaguy
07/22/2013, 11:29 AM
many of us do too...I don't feed my fish any dry foods except nori...
it is all about fresh seafood, pe Mysis, spirulina brine, and lrf for me...
but it is often difficult to get large fish to eat in captivity...
I am stoked she is eating something...
but still highly recommend live black worms...
their wriggling movements elicits a feeding response more often than not in most fish and have helped me out in similar situations...
would also recommend a fresh clam on the half shell for her to pick at...

angelfish7
07/22/2013, 11:46 AM
I have a blond naso now for 4 years and its favorite food is the Nori sheets and NLS pellets. It actually goes after the pellets first then the nori.!!

240gallons
07/22/2013, 12:39 PM
What are NLS pellets? And where Do you get the worms?

Thanks

humaguy
07/22/2013, 12:53 PM
NLS= New Life Spectrum...can get anywhere, even Amazon, I think...

google California live Black Worms...there are a bunch of places, some lfs carry them...but there is a great place in Ca...

Rea17
07/22/2013, 01:07 PM
Was the fish collected at that size or did you get him from someone who grew him out? What kind of aquascape do you have? Are there any other grazers in the tank?

I usually have issues with new tangs not recognizing nori on a clip to be food. With my Achilles I was having to break pieces off for him so he could take them out of the water column (like you are saying you've done with your Naso). Once he was out of quarantine and was able to watch the other fish chow down on the clip, he picked it up really fast. Sometimes they just need to figure it out... but 6 weeks is a long time to not be eating much. My naso is actually the most finicky eater I have, which is saying something. He will eat nori, flake, and NLS pellets. Won't touch anything else. You can also try attaching seaweed to a small piece of rock with a rubber band, and then placing it near his favorite hiding place. It helps to rough up the seaweed a little bit so some of it is looser. Good luck! Keep us updated

240gallons
07/22/2013, 02:22 PM

Will keep posted. I appreciate all the feedback. This is 240 reef system with about 100 lbs lr and a ton of softies that take up room