PDA

View Full Version : Mystery gray/brown 'logs' appearing on sand bed

nudifun
07/22/2013, 12:31 PM
Hello,
This is my first post. I don't usually post questions because I am typically able to to find my answers if I scour the internet long enough. However I am at a loss when it comes to this issue. Describing the the object is the first problem. Finding a synonym for "log", that accurately describes what this object is is difficult.
Because of this problem I have attached a picture of the object for ya'll to take a look at. These objects first started appearing a few days ago. right after I put a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp in my tank, however I do not think he is the one making them. I'm not completely sure of this though. The Cleaner has not moved much yet as he is still acclimating to the tank and these "log-like objects are literally all over the sand bed.
When I see these "logs" I usually vacuum them up as there is a lot of them and they resemble "poop" to be honest. After I vacuum them up they immediately start appearing again. I have no idea who is creating them. Any ideas would be great, Thanks!

Here are my specifications/Information, The tank has been set up for 3 months. levels reached stability after only 2 weeks. I attributed this to Live Rock and Live sand as well as the use of Seachem's Stability. When I set up the Tank I mixed my own saltwater using tab water and Seachem's Alpha ammonia remover. Howevr since then I have learned the importance of using RO/DI water and have been using that ever since. I also seem to be having a brown algae issue. I started out Feeding my fish daily and my coral every other day , but have since moved to feeding coral twice to once a week and fish every other day because the algae is out of control.
I will clean the tank and then the next day i will come home from work and the glass is covered in brown algae and the rocks are covered in green and brown algae. I have to clean everyday! its terrible .
I have scrubbed the rock, cleaned the glass and vacuumed the sand, daily and it still occurs. I have even started keeping the lights on for only 8 hours a day. Since the algae issue started around the same time I got this 4xt5 HO WavePoint (96 watt) light to replace a way less powerful Coralife 2xt5 (non-HO 28watt) light.
So I guess I have two issue. the mystery brownish grayish 'logs' and the daily algae blooms. I also seem to be falling victim to 'hair' algae on some of my live rock and some of my coral , specifically my bubble coral. Which i have to clean off every few days.

Tank:
20 Gal (high)
18lbs Live Rock
5 lbs of Dry Rock
20lbs of Live Sand (with argonnite)
5lbs of Dry Sand
Biocube Protein Skimmer (in tank)
Heater
Aquaclear 20 Gallon (HOB) Filter
Hydor (240GPH) powerhead
2-(HO) 10,000k t5, 2-(HO) Actinic t5 [96 combined watts]
Blue LED MoonLight /Accent Strip

My Parameters:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0 to 5
Phosphate - 0
Calcium - 460
Magnesium - 1260
Salinity - 1.024
PH - 8.2
Alkalinity - 11

Fish/Inverts:
True Percula Clown
Firefish
Orange-Spotted Watchman Goby
Tiger Snapping Pistol Shrimp
Starry Blenny
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Banggai Cardinal
Coco Tube Worm
Two- Nassarius Snails
Sand Sifting Starfish (will be moved to bigger tank once established )

Coral:
Bubble Coral
6 different colonies of Zoas and Palyps
Birdsnest
Trachyphyllia
Favites
Torch
Frogspawn
Plate
Green Mushroom
Orange Mushroom
Xenia
Candy Cane
Sun Yellow Tube
Finger Leather
Star polyps
Duncan

nudifun
07/22/2013, 12:38 PM
would not let me attach picture so here is a link to it. your going to have to copy and paste the link. it wont even let me create a hyperlink. why???

http://postimg.org/image/estnyalhz/

figuerres
07/22/2013, 02:11 PM
pictures ??

Whiterabbitrage
07/22/2013, 02:30 PM
Pictures of the logs would help a lot otherwise it's all just guesses.

nudifun
07/22/2013, 04:34 PM
i listed a link to the picture in my previous post, because it would not allow me to post a picture from the browser i was using. I think it worked this time though.

nudifun
07/22/2013, 04:35 PM
Also, the 'logs' crumble when I attempt to pick them up.

Apotack
07/22/2013, 04:39 PM
Doodie

kylathwe
07/22/2013, 06:29 PM
Looks like poop to me

TimeConsumer
07/22/2013, 06:58 PM
+1 on the dookie

Misled
07/22/2013, 07:43 PM
Looks like poop to me.

Saltydrip
07/22/2013, 08:04 PM
That would be a log. A fish log.

crsswift70
07/22/2013, 08:07 PM
ROFL... this is an epic thread.

havoc79
07/22/2013, 08:17 PM
+1 i can't stop laughing for sure poop just wondering which fish it is cause that turd looks like it comes from my vlamingi and that fish list look like small fish

maynardjames
07/22/2013, 08:31 PM
looks like a great big piece of ****
welcome to REEF CENTRAL! scour the web no longer you can find answers to every question you have here

Misled
07/22/2013, 10:40 PM
You should figure out what it's from. My guess would be from the star. This is a pile from my cucumber.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q68/jllndmb/Reef/DSC_6942_zps604adf6d.jpg (http://s133.photobucket.com/user/jllndmb/media/Reef/DSC_6942_zps604adf6d.jpg.html)

Know your poop!!!

Sonyardo
07/22/2013, 10:46 PM
Looks like a baby ruth ;)

Reefmedic79
07/22/2013, 10:56 PM
[WELCOME]

I do love that you followed directions (of the proper post format) with the extensive Original post before asking the question. Since the first part of you post has been answered, we can move on to your hair algae problem.

I didn't see any snails, other than the nassarius listed. In fact it doesn't appear you have much of a clean up crew (CUC) at all. A mix of snails and hermits (if you choose to have them) will help control the algae. Cerith, Nerites, Astreas and Turbo snails are great along with scarlet and blue leg hermits would be great.

If you do have a CUC, you may still have an issue with phosphates, even with a 0 reading. This could come from over feeding, over stocked, underfiltering, over lighting or having old bulbs on your lights. Fix these issues, and possibly look into a GFO reactor, for possible phosphates.

nudifun
07/24/2013, 11:26 AM
I thought it was poop too. The reason I started to doubt that was because, Like someone already said my fish are a bit small for that size of poop. also there is so much of it! I mean I will clean it all out and literally 10 minutes later there are multiple logs spread all over the place. like 5 or 6 within that 1o minute period and not just in one pile but spread out. I also find it weird that they just now started appearing.
Like i said the Cleaner Shrimp was the newest addition, around this time is when i started noticing them. The other fish have been in there for a while without these strange logs appearing all over the place. I don't think its the Shrimp though as the logs are literally a 4th of his size. I was thinking maybe it was the Blenny making them, cause the grazes all day long on the algae and what not. He is also the largest fish in my tank and moves all over the tank. does anyone else have a Blenny that poops this much/has poop that looks like this?
He has been in the tank for like a month but this poop dilemma has been a fairly new observation. I don't want to say without a doubt they just started appearing, but if they have been there since the Blenny's introduction then I'm gonna feel rather stupid. I pay quite a deal of attention to my tank. Especially with this algae problem, I am constantly cleaning it and I didn't notice the poop until the other day. So either Mr. Blenny just started this poop parade or I'm not as observant as I thought.

3dpilot
07/24/2013, 11:30 AM
My big snails poop is exactly the same!! lol

crsswift70
07/24/2013, 11:43 AM
Yeah, my turbo is smaller but drops little logs all over if he is actively eating.

KafudaFish
07/24/2013, 11:44 AM
You should figure out what it's from. My guess would be from the star. This is a pile from my cucumber.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q68/jllndmb/Reef/DSC_6942_zps604adf6d.jpg (http://s133.photobucket.com/user/jllndmb/media/Reef/DSC_6942_zps604adf6d.jpg.html)

Know your poop!!!

How much output is that?

nudifun
07/24/2013, 11:49 AM
Reefmedic79,

Thank you for the reply on the Algae thang. I have a question about the Hermits....Will they be aggressive with the other inverts in my tank? I'm specifically worried about my pistol shrimp. He's my boy and I don't want him to be "out crabbed" so to speak.

As for overfeeding, I was feeding frozen Spirulina (one cube) once a day and about 1.5 ml of frozen Brine shrimp. That was leaving a lot of leftovers in the tank swirling around. so I cut out the Brine to once every other or every 3 days. The algae was still quite bad so I moved to feeding every other day. the algae seems to have gotten a lot better but now my fish seem hungry all the time. They get into a frenzy when I feed them. When I do tank maintenance they crowd my hand thinking I'm gonna feed them and then they are so disappointed when I don't.
I guess I can try replacing the bulbs on my light. I bought it used so I have no idea how old the bulbs are. is there anyway to tell when it's time to replace the bulbs?

As for underfiltering, I'm not really sure how to tell that. I will say that I have been hesitant to trust the filter so far. I was told by a pretty my Coral guy at my LFS, that the Aquaclear is one of the best when it comes to HOB filters and that it would be fine for a 20gal reef tank. The more I read however the more I feel like I should invest in installing a refugium. I was thinking of building my own or getting a hang on the back one. If I do go the refugium route, will I still need the Aquaclear Filter or can I remove that? I read that a refugium is like a natural filteration system. True? Thoughts? Questions?

anbosu
07/24/2013, 05:03 PM
It won't hurt to leave the aqua clear even with a fuge - you can always use it to run carbon and gfo if you want.

MellowReefer
07/24/2013, 05:22 PM
So either Mr. Blenny just started this poop parade or I'm not as observant as I thought.

Can we start a sticky called "RC best quotes of all time"?

disc1
07/24/2013, 05:24 PM
Can we start a sticky called "RC best quotes of all time"?

Hmmmm. Have a look in the lounge. I think that is exactly the title.

MellowReefer
07/24/2013, 05:35 PM

The lounge??? I never noticed it before. Wow, this site's potential for wasting my time at work just went way up! Didn't find that thread yet, but I'm sure I will.

don_chuwish
07/24/2013, 06:55 PM
If the "logs" reappear that fast it shouldn't take too much careful observation time to see the culprit. Stare at the tank for a while and catch the phantom pooper in the act.

- D

disc1
07/24/2013, 07:02 PM
The lounge??? I never noticed it before. Wow, this site's potential for wasting my time at work just went way up! Didn't find that thread yet, but I'm sure I will.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1881338

OrQidz
07/24/2013, 08:03 PM
ha ha, my hermits leave logs all over the place.....at least someone is eating some of the algae maybe. I think you are probably having a lot of algae due to bioload and not enough filtration. I don't know that you are overstocked per se since your parameters are ok, but I think I counted 5 fish on your list? In a 20 gallon tank that's a fair amount and could be contributing to algae. Are you using some filter floss/filter pad in your AC filter and changing it out daily? I have an AC 70 on my 28 gallon and I use filter floss to catch all the debris.

MellowReefer
07/24/2013, 08:08 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1881338

Okay, I just had to post a few quotes from this thread. Actually this post brings back fond memories of my starry blenny (RIP my good ole buddy) and when I first got him I wondered the same thing about all the logs he was leaving...how can they make so much?!

MandM
07/24/2013, 08:10 PM
This has the potential to be as good as the buttfish thread. Welcome! :lol:

mtcoins123
07/24/2013, 08:58 PM
Also, the 'logs' crumble when I attempt to pick them up.

Looks like poop to me

Looks like poop to me.

How much output is that?

you guys really know your poop- good job!! :D

johnike
07/24/2013, 09:03 PM
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu318/andrewelf/caddyshack-baby-ruth.jpg (http://s659.photobucket.com/user/andrewelf/media/caddyshack-baby-ruth.jpg.html)

michika
07/24/2013, 11:25 PM
Lounge stamp of approval from Cojns?

nudifun
07/25/2013, 12:56 PM
If the "logs" reappear that fast it shouldn't take too much careful observation time to see the culprit. Stare at the tank for a while and catch the phantom pooper in the act.

- D

I did just that....I was right, it was the Blenny! hes pooping all over! This guys so ridiculous, a veritable poop grandmaster.
I just like saying poop. The word flows nicely and no matter how old I get it still brings a smile to my face when said.

nudifun
07/25/2013, 12:58 PM
ha ha, my hermits leave logs all over the place.....at least someone is eating some of the algae maybe. I think you are probably having a lot of algae due to bioload and not enough filtration. I don't know that you are overstocked per se since your parameters are ok, but I think I counted 5 fish on your list? In a 20 gallon tank that's a fair amount and could be contributing to algae. Are you using some filter floss/filter pad in your AC filter and changing it out daily? I have an AC 70 on my 28 gallon and I use filter floss to catch all the debris.

Naw, never heard of this "filter floss" Ima check it out though. I'm gonna build a refugium this weekend though as well. It's gonna be dope

MellowReefer
07/25/2013, 01:53 PM
Since we're on this lovely topic of poop, I'd like to admit an extremely embarrassing behavior of my fish. My foxface and tang have a very special relationship. It's so hard to put this in writing...they eat each other's poop. When one sees that the other one is starting to have a bowel movement, he follows him around and literally eats the poop as its coming out. Mmmmm...I guess it's better when it's really fresh. I'm not sure if they pick it up off the ground too, do they follow the 5-second rule? Anyway, I plead with them not to do this when I have guests over. Its just so embarrassing.

Joe0813
07/25/2013, 01:59 PM
Hahahah this is the best thread yet

reefgoddess808
07/25/2013, 05:17 PM
I really wish there was a 'like' button on here :)
I find the waste my animals make to be interesting in general, weird I know. Some fish make dust, these are the sand builders, others make pellets and some make logs. All serves a purpose and feeds or builds something else! The circle of life as told by feces :) LOL

Reefmedic79
07/25/2013, 06:30 PM
Reefmedic79,

Thank you for the reply on the Algae thang. I have a question about the Hermits....Will they be aggressive with the other inverts in my tank? I'm specifically worried about my pistol shrimp. He's my boy and I don't want him to be "out crabbed" so to speak.

As for overfeeding, I was feeding frozen Spirulina (one cube) once a day and about 1.5 ml of frozen Brine shrimp. That was leaving a lot of leftovers in the tank swirling around. so I cut out the Brine to once every other or every 3 days. The algae was still quite bad so I moved to feeding every other day. the algae seems to have gotten a lot better but now my fish seem hungry all the time. They get into a frenzy when I feed them. When I do tank maintenance they crowd my hand thinking I'm gonna feed them and then they are so disappointed when I don't.
I guess I can try replacing the bulbs on my light. I bought it used so I have no idea how old the bulbs are. is there anyway to tell when it's time to replace the bulbs?

As for underfiltering, I'm not really sure how to tell that. I will say that I have been hesitant to trust the filter so far. I was told by a pretty my Coral guy at my LFS, that the Aquaclear is one of the best when it comes to HOB filters and that it would be fine for a 20gal reef tank. The more I read however the more I feel like I should invest in installing a refugium. I was thinking of building my own or getting a hang on the back one. If I do go the refugium route, will I still need the Aquaclear Filter or can I remove that? I read that a refugium is like a natural filteration system. True? Thoughts? Questions?

I use hermits, and like to use them, but they can be aggressive to snails at times. Never heard any issues with them causing harm to shrimp. In fact a pistol shrimp would likely cause more harm to a hermit then the other way around. Scarlet hermits tend to be the least aggressive and my favorite of hermits, blue legs being next. If you keep some larger empty shells in the tank they tend to be less likely to go after your snails.

As ravenous as the fish seem to be in the tank, they don't need to be fed everyday or even every other day. I'm of the opinion that our fishes metabolism decreases once they are kept in a closed environment. In the wild they are constantly eating and have a lot more space to move and a lot more turbid water moving them around. I personally feed my tank every 5-6 days, something different each time. I've got 5 different frozen foods that I cycle through.

I'm not looking at your OP, so I don't remember the type of lighting you currently have, but other than LED's, the normal life span of the bulbs commonly used in reefkeeping are 9-12 months. Regardless as to whether they are metal halides, power compacts, VHO or T-5's. This timing will vary depending on time you run them daily, as well as the type ballasts you use.

AN Aquaclear filter probably is the best HOB powerfilter you can buy, IMO, and can provide some of the filtration for a tank your sized. While you could benefit from installing a Fuge on the tank. I think a quality skimmer would be more beneficial in your current set-up, used in addition to the powerfilter. As mentioned by another post the filter is great place to run carbon and/or GFO, just be sure your replacing this media 30 days or so.

Bucknuter
07/25/2013, 10:09 PM
Funny I actually had the same question.
Regarding poop...
Is there a critter that will eat it?
Should this be vacuumed out with water changes?
Or don't worry about it?

MellowReefer
07/25/2013, 10:30 PM
Even if there's a critter that will eat the poop, you will still have poop because...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BnyLL9T2L._AA160_.jpg

This is a very good book on the subject, I highly recommend.

nudifun
07/26/2013, 11:56 AM
I use hermits, and like to use them, but they can be aggressive to snails at times. Never heard any issues with them causing harm to shrimp. In fact a pistol shrimp would likely cause more harm to a hermit then the other way around. Scarlet hermits tend to be the least aggressive and my favorite of hermits, blue legs being next. If you keep some larger empty shells in the tank they tend to be less likely to go after your snails.

As ravenous as the fish seem to be in the tank, they don't need to be fed everyday or even every other day. I'm of the opinion that our fishes metabolism decreases once they are kept in a closed environment. In the wild they are constantly eating and have a lot more space to move and a lot more turbid water moving them around. I personally feed my tank every 5-6 days, something different each time. I've got 5 different frozen foods that I cycle through.

I'm not looking at your OP, so I don't remember the type of lighting you currently have, but other than LED's, the normal life span of the bulbs commonly used in reefkeeping are 9-12 months. Regardless as to whether they are metal halides, power compacts, VHO or T-5's. This timing will vary depending on time you run them daily, as well as the type ballasts you use.

AN Aquaclear filter probably is the best HOB powerfilter you can buy, IMO, and can provide some of the filtration for a tank your sized. While you could benefit from installing a Fuge on the tank. I think a quality skimmer would be more beneficial in your current set-up, used in addition to the powerfilter. As mentioned by another post the filter is great place to run carbon and/or GFO, just be sure your replacing this media 30 days or so.

I have a 4 bulb Wavepoint T5 Ho 96 watts total. 2 actinic and 2 10000k. I bought it used so not sure how long the bulbs have been in there. I am prolly just gonna replace them anyways, to err on the safe side.

I also have a skimmer, but to be honest I don't think its doing its job. I know a guy who has the same one (Biocube) and his always looks like its working, i.e., large brown bubbles, bubbling over into the catch and general nastiness up in the catch. My bubbles are white, clean looking smaller bubbles, a.k.a just water bubbles. They bubble over into the catch slowly cause i set the skimmer that way because it was filling with water when i turn it up to high. Now it just bubbles the white clean smaller bubble into the catch eventually filling with water that i have to empty everyday (the water is rather clean too). I have tried different settings but I just cant get it too work. The air stone only bubbles on two of its sides too. its rectangular and bubble only seem to come out of the middle of the air stone only and only on two of the four sides. Not sure if this is what it is supposed to do.

I also have it inside the tank, behind my live rock so the only thing visible is to very top and the catch. I was thinking maybe because it was covered with live rock in this way that maybe it wasn't as effective? I have one of my powerheads pointing right at it so it could better push water flow towards its direction. I thought this would help push water flow through the rocks as to make the protein skimmer more effective with rocks covering it.

There is a Carbon insert that came with the Filter, it is in there now. is that the part I should replace or are you talking about that and the sponge filter that sits at the bottom of the filter. Also what would I have to do to use GFO with that filter? not that familiar with this. I know there is something called a GFO reactor but I thought that was a whole separate device. I was not aware you could add it to existing filter. can you please elaborate on this further? Thank you for all your input!

Reefmedic79
07/26/2013, 08:49 PM
Bubbles should be coming from all around of the airstone, so that may be the problem, I doubt that where it is located would make a difference unless it's not set deep enough in the tank or it may be too deep in the tank.

The sponge at the bottom can be removed completely or cut in thinner just to help catch and particulates in the water column. The carbon insert should be replaced often, every 30-60 days. To use GFO in a powerfilter you would have to rig up a small filter bag (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13961) with the GFO media and just place it where you can in the filter.

nudifun
07/30/2013, 08:54 AM
Bubbles should be coming from all around of the airstone, so that may be the problem, I doubt that where it is located would make a difference unless it's not set deep enough in the tank or it may be too deep in the tank.

The sponge at the bottom can be removed completely or cut in thinner just to help catch and particulates in the water column. The carbon insert should be replaced often, every 30-60 days. To use GFO in a powerfilter you would have to rig up a small filter bag (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13961) with the GFO media and just place it where you can in the filter.

Thanks a lot, you've been great! I'm totally gonna ad some GFO media to my HOB.
Is there any way I can repair the airstone or should I just buy another? It seems like it would be a hard item to find in the LFS. I hate waiting for stuff online and then having to pay for shipping. Also they just passed that law where online retailers have to charge sales tax if you live in a sales tax state!! not cool. Before that the shipping costs could sometime be justified cause it would at times come out to the same as buying in a physical store an paying tax, now its like wait i have to pay shipping, tax and I have to wait a week to get it??? fair? I don't think so..... sorry for the tangent, Its just not right. I mean what are we doing here!?!? What has it come too!?!?!?

Reefmedic79
07/30/2013, 09:59 AM
Better to by a new one, they are pretty cheap. I think any airstone should work.

With GFO, filter bags and air stones, you'd be pretty close to the $49 and free shipping Dr fosters offers.

Arc Drafter
07/30/2013, 10:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Es2IgcwQrc

Lucubration
07/30/2013, 12:33 PM
Since we're on this lovely topic of poop, I'd like to admit an extremely embarrassing behavior of my fish. My foxface and tang have a very special relationship. It's so hard to put this in writing...they eat each other's poop. When one sees that the other one is starting to have a bowel movement, he follows him around and literally eats the poop as its coming out. Mmmmm...I guess it's better when it's really fresh. I'm not sure if they pick it up off the ground too, do they follow the 5-second rule? Anyway, I plead with them not to do this when I have guests over. Its just so embarrassing.

Sounds like they're stuck in a feedback poop.

michfish5
07/31/2013, 01:21 PM
LOL Did he ever mention if he had snails or not? Because this morning, I too have little logs collected in a few spots on my previously pristine sandbed (though I am starting to get the diatoms). Just three days ago I added a small CUC of 5 Turbos, 3 Nassarius snails, and 1 Emerald Crab. That is the ONLY livestock in the tank. And this morning I see piles of poopage, collected in three places. Can I assume this is from the Turbos primarily? I thought Nassarius snails ate such things. Though after I put them in the tank, those Nassarius disappeared into the sand. Did see one last night though. I hope the other two OK. I love to see their little siphons sticking up out of the sand like a submarine periscope! Anyhoo, should we be siphoning out said poop or hope that the Nassarius' get with the program?

michfish5
07/31/2013, 01:28 PM
LOL Did he ever mention if he had snails or not? Because this morning, I too have little logs collected in a few spots on my previously pristine sandbed (though I am starting to get the diatoms). Just three days ago I added a small CUC of 5 Turbos, 3 Nassarius snails, and 1 Emerald Crab. That is the ONLY livestock in the tank. And this morning I see piles of poopage, collected in three places. Can I assume this is from the Turbos primarily? I thought Nassarius snails ate such things. Though after I put them in the tank, those Nassarius disappeared into the sand. Did see one last night though. I hope the other two OK. I love to see their little siphons sticking up out of the sand like a submarine periscope! Anyhoo, should we be siphoning out said poop or hope that the Nassarius' get with the program?

JiveWalker
10/29/2013, 06:56 PM
What a great thread to accidentally stumble upon...lol

Chuck H.
10/29/2013, 07:14 PM
My wife asked me what I was laughing at...I'm in tears!

Griznock
10/29/2013, 07:17 PM
thank you! i needed that

MellowReefer
12/10/2014, 12:23 AM
Any updates? Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

I don't know about you guys, but as my fish have grown, the problem has only gotten worse! As I write this, my tang just went to his favorite corner of the tank to drop off his "logs"...he likes to do it in the same place every time, the front corner of the tank where I have my favorite zoas, like he's doing it there just to spite me.

Nina51
12/10/2014, 06:25 AM
i'm half surprised this thread didn't end up moved to the lounge.

my kole tang leaves epic amounts of poop. i'm not sure if he's potty trained or if it's a matter of flow but it always ends up in a pile in the front right corner of the tank. i have a brittle star that stretches about 13" across. his disk is the size of a half dollar. if i stay up late enough and right after lights out, i see him make a beeline to that corner and in a matter of seconds, poof, poop gone. it's gross and i never let him kiss me but he's the best poop cleaner upper i have.

toothybugs
12/10/2014, 06:42 AM
This just made my morning :D :D

Timely too because with my recent algae/ detritus assault I've noticed my new crew of turbos is getting renamed to Turdos because it looks like they leave piles of 1/4" gray spaghetti all over the place. They're obviously getting their fiber.

I wonder what would happen if you dosed Metamucil in your tank.

MellowReefer
12/10/2014, 10:47 AM
i'm half surprised this thread didn't end up moved to the lounge.

my kole tang leaves epic amounts of poop. i'm not sure if he's potty trained or if it's a matter of flow but it always ends up in a pile in the front right corner of the tank. i have a brittle star that stretches about 13" across. his disk is the size of a half dollar. if i stay up late enough and right after lights out, i see him make a beeline to that corner and in a matter of seconds, poof, poop gone. it's gross and i never let him kiss me but he's the best poop cleaner upper i have.

Like a poop Roomba! I have thought about getting one of those, but they creep me out a little. Plus I have heard about them taking small fish (but I think it's the green ones, you probably have the safe kind).

What I like best about this thread was that the OP started it as a very serious post. When I first got my starry blenny I also couldn't believe how much poop it put out.

But seriously, I hope the OP's tank is doing well :)