PDA

View Full Version : Choosing my first SCUBA system

MAVX
07/22/2013, 03:16 PM
The plan is to get my open water certification before I head down to Marco Island(FL) for Christmas and New Years to visit the father in law.

I am guessing that SCUBA.com is one of the better online retailers to find equipment.

Use of my SCUBA system:
Recreational diving
Spiny lobster fishing
Possibly collecting

http://www.scuba.com/shop/DiveSystems.asp?Category=126

I was looking at the OceanPro Competitive system, the BC looks comfortable and more than enough for my use. Also, the Z2 dive system looks good, but a bit more pricey. Is it worth the extra $?

Would it be best for me to buy a package than to piece together a system? Would it be wise to buy an extra tank to keep in FL, so I can bring just my system back to NY with me? I've never been fond of renting anything, I like owning my things, lol.

Any help, guidance or experience is greatly appreciated!

Glenfwb
07/22/2013, 03:59 PM
Couple of suggestions. Become a member of Scubaboard.com, it is the Scuba version of Reef Central. You can get plenty of feed back on issues related to gear selection and anything else. Try before you buy is always best. I would suggest finding a good local shop with a pool that will let you try a BC before you buy it...and I mean buy it locally. BC's can be difficult to size...at the very least, make sure whoever you buy from online, has a return policy once you check it for fit. A loose BC can mess up bouyancy and good trim.

I have no vested interest in any online scuba store, but when I don't buy locally, I always use Scubatoys.com. Great prices and great service...I have used them for years.

I certainly wouldn't buy any tanks till you start diving and get some experience. I am certainly not against buying tanks (I own 18), but you should rent until you determine your SAC rate, the type of diving you will be doing, etc. This will save you a lot of money by only buying tanks once.

PM me if I can be of any help.
Glen

QUOTE=MAVX;21732595]The plan is to get my open water certification before I head down to Marco Island(FL) for Christmas and New Years to visit the father in law.

I am guessing that SCUBA.com is one of the better online retailers to find equipment.

Use of my SCUBA system:
Recreational diving
Spiny lobster fishing
Possibly collecting

http://www.scuba.com/shop/DiveSystems.asp?Category=126

I was looking at the OceanPro Competitive system, the BC looks comfortable and more than enough for my use. Also, the Z2 dive system looks good, but a bit more pricey. Is it worth the extra $?

Would it be best for me to buy a package than to piece together a system? Would it be wise to buy an extra tank to keep in FL, so I can bring just my system back to NY with me? I've never been fond of renting anything, I like owning my things, lol.

Any help, guidance or experience is greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

ace_92101
07/22/2013, 06:14 PM
While you can often get better pricing with a package, I prefer to purchase the items that I want. Its very similar to your LFS with a package aquarium. Just my 2 cents. As far as equipment, I personally don't think most divers need a super fancy set of equipment. I'm a divemaster and rarely buy the most expensive gear.

I usually use scuba.com, as their store is located fairly close to me. PM me if you have questions on scuba.com. I have also used LeisurePro in NYC when i lived in the city. They also have a retail location. If you do buy online, make sure they honor the warranties and that the items fit! I agree on not getting a tank unless you're doing a lot of diving. In fact, most divers don't own a tank.

If you have the time, you might want to drive to the East Coast of Florida, as the diving on the Gulf isn't very good. It's also fairly cold in winter with no Gulf Stream. I do off of Ft. Meyers in winter and it was in the 50's. If you do drive to the Keys, there're many shops including Divers Direct which is one of the largest/cheapest.

billsreef
07/22/2013, 06:30 PM
I'd suggest getting certified before buying. Get an idea of what you like in gear first ;) Otherwise, the gear in that in that link is all decent brand name gear with a decent reputation. Haven't used scuba.com myself, but have brought online from Leisurepro and been very happy. Also Diver's Direct is walk in for me. Been happy with their store, but no experience with their online side.

ace_92101
07/22/2013, 06:38 PM
I'd suggest getting certified before buying. Get an idea of what you like in gear first ;) Otherwise, the gear in that in that link is all decent brand name gear with a decent reputation. Haven't used scuba.com myself, but have brought online from Leisurepro and been very happy. Also Diver's Direct is walk in for me. Been happy with their store, but no experience with their online side.

I agree with Bill on waiting.

dinwiddie90
07/22/2013, 07:14 PM
Try leisurepro.com they are very good priced and have a great selection

Glenfwb
07/22/2013, 08:25 PM
If waiting is one of the choices, then I vote for waiting also. At this point you don't know what you don't know....kind of hard to make an informed buying decision when that is the case.

Raceimage
07/23/2013, 02:46 PM
I just got certified recently. Got to use different styles of equipment during class. Once I found what I was comfortable with, I purchased my equipment through my instructor. His prices were cheaper than any internet price. Everyone is going to have different opinions. You have to figure out what you like.

MAVX
08/07/2013, 02:14 PM
Lots of great advise, thanks guys!

Crazy35111
08/15/2013, 07:55 AM
MAVX,
One thing to consider that I didnt see anyone else point out. Mask, fins, snorkel, no life support gear can be bought anywhere. Life support gear shouldnt be bought online. Buy from a local dive shop that is an authorized dealer. A lot of manufactures will not honor warranties that are bought online. Personally I love Aqualung gear. Have a full line actually 3 full setups of Aqualung. I recommend the I3 BCD's and cant go wrong with the Legend reg, its been around a long time, proven itself, and is just so easy to breathe out of. Like the others said, try before you buy, what works great for one person, another may hate. When I worked for a dive shop, I basically learned, "how much is your life worth?" If you are going to buy gear, invest in gear that will last with a warranty. Just my 2 cents

Adam13
08/16/2013, 02:50 AM
Welcome to SCUBA! It is really amazing, if you ever make it to south FL let me know and lets meet up for some dives.

#1 try to find a great instructor. They can teach and inform you about different gear options/ benefits, and you can develop a sense of what works through good classwork, then buy after the class. Consider finding a shop that teaches tech courses, (cave, mix, rebreather) because tech instructors have generally refined their skills to a very high degree, and dive a lot. Learning proper efficient technique from the beginning will make it much more enjoyable and easy on you in the long run. ----I am not implying that there are no recreational instructors that dive with a high skill level, it is just practically assured with a tech diver/ instructor.----

Go to a few shops, and try on as many masks as you can. A mask that fits properly, is comfortable, and has a good field of vision is priceless. Everyone's face is different, and so are everyone's preferences.

Here are some of mine:

I personally like a mask with a black skirt, and no side windows. It cuts down on ambient light reflections and lets me focus on what I can see clearly.

I like relatively stiff fins, not split fins. You have good power when needed, efficient with proper technique, it is easier to "swim" backwards in them, you have very fine control in tight environments, and when doing delicate work (collecting, catching lobsters etc...) Mares Quattro are good balanced, all purpose, recreational fins in my opinion.

I like a simple snorkel, one that is too big or cumbersome just gets in the way. I like the omer zoom.

Get the rest after the class and you have more knowledge to decide. Less is more is a lot of situations.

Deinonych
08/21/2013, 07:40 PM
#1 try to find a great instructor.

+1

A great instructor makes all the difference not only for learning, but getting excited about diving. Also agree with others that you should get certified before you go out and buy all your gear.

Have fun!

jtp79
08/29/2013, 01:34 PM
I got certified about 8 months ago and bought a Sherwood package from Leisurepro.com
They answered tons of questions and the customer service was second to none. Make sure that if you spend money on one thing and skimp on the rest that it is your regulator. I got a heck of a deal, it was the end of summer savings package and they upgraded me to this years BC. So I got a full setup minus mask for around 850 bucks, that was with open heeled spring fins.