PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed salinity drop

mehaffydr
07/22/2013, 06:36 PM
Somehow my discharge from my RODI got into the sump so for the last 24 hours I was filling my reserve clean water I was dumping dirty unsalted water into my system.
The system is a display of 225 gallons sump of 50 gal frag tank of 40 gal and refugium 0f 40 gallons total volume 355 gal. right now SG is at 1.18. Typically I keep it at 1.25

I have no idea what to do this is a reef tank with fish,SPS,LPS Anemones, crabs,shrimp etc. It is an established tank and right now everything looks good except for the anemones are a little shrunken. Fish are swimming looking good.

How slow or fast should I adjust Salinity?

nlgill13
07/22/2013, 07:24 PM
Slow with the salinity increase...Its probably ok to going up by .02-.03 a day. Your Nems might look a little unhappy for the next couple of days.

I would suggest using saltwater for your top offs for the next two/three days. Good Luck

Harriscli
07/22/2013, 07:25 PM
You shouldn't have much problems. You may see algee show up but nothing I would worry about.

mehaffydr
07/22/2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the help I just was not sure how low the SG could get without killing the reef or the fish.

Biocubehqi
07/22/2013, 08:15 PM
Your corals il die way before your fish, I had the same problem, I did .001 a day with no ill effects to starfish shrimp or corals. My sps was telling me a long time ago it was low, till I went to the LFS to have a double check, glad I did lol.

lucky_snapper
07/22/2013, 09:29 PM
Your fish can survive at way lower salinity than 1.18 as stated above your corals and inverts are far more sensitive then that. You should be fine just raise it back up to a normal level. My dt is currently in HYPO mode and is being kept at 1.08 and will stay that way for at least another month. All fish are happy campers and most of my cuc is still doing their thing. I dont have any corals or I would not be able to do this.

Spyderturbo007
07/23/2013, 08:04 AM
Just to clarify, I'm assuming you mean 1.018 & 1.025? You'll want to slowly increase the salinity over a period of time. The easiest way to do this is by topping off the tank with salt water as opposed to the normal RO/DI.