PDA

View Full Version : Should I have more flow.

Scribe
07/22/2013, 11:48 PM
I ask the question, because I'm getting some brownish/rust color algae, and detritus build up in places.

The tank is a 90gal mixed reef, with a 40 gallon sump. Running for 10 years
Mag 7 (might be a 9.5) return from sump to tank.
Tunze 6060 turbelle stream.
2x250 mh ( 5pm-11pm) and two t5 actinics (4:30pm-12:00 pm)

All chems seem to be in check.

I'm thinking I might need something with a little more variation in current. Maybe a sea swirl, but I've heard some less then favorable reviews. Wondering if its time to look into new wave makers and a controller. Maybe a votech, or hydro koralia set up to replace the tunze. Hate to replace the tunze since I just replaced most parts of it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

SinkNSwim
07/23/2013, 12:01 AM
If all your levels are in check then I would increase flow to the dead areas. How long has your tank been up?

Scribe
07/23/2013, 12:12 AM
Been up for about 10 years. Just wondering if I should try a simple power head before shelling out big$ for wave makers and controllers.

Scribe
07/23/2013, 12:29 AM
Been up for about 10 years. Just wondering if I should try a simple power head before shelling out big$ for wave makers and controllers.

ska d
07/23/2013, 06:47 AM
Shell out a few bucks (apx $100-125) for those knock off wp40s. Comes with controller and acts like a tunze or vortech. Only thing is getting one, would have to be ordered online if you can find one in stock.

MHG
07/23/2013, 07:01 AM
Well where is this algae? On the sand? If the tank has been up and nothing has changed, then I would not suspect flow...however I did see a massive improvement in my tank from using my controller to change the puls duration on my pumps...

I added some orange lip konches and all the rust colored stuff is gone from my sand...

Scribe
07/23/2013, 07:56 AM
Yes, sorry the algae is on the sand. I have recently added fish, after my 14 year old damsel that would kill anything in the tank died. So feeding has increased.

What kind of wavemakers and controllers are recommended?

What is this knock off wp40. Sorry haven't been as on top of new equipment as I once was.

Ron Reefman
07/23/2013, 08:15 AM
Jebao make 2 wave makers, a WP40 and a WP25. You may find one on Ebay, but you are far better off to go to:
http://www.fish-street.com/
Jebao isn't good about warranty on their stuff, but Fish Street has been very helpful (this is the normal practice in China). I'd go with the WP25 (2100gph at max) which should be way more than enough.

Jonviviano
07/23/2013, 08:19 AM
The WP line of pumps is a newer chinese line of wave makers coming onto the market. It is similar to the Tunze/Ecotech pumps that have been around for the past few years. It is drastically cheaper. The pump comes in 2 sizes, The WP25 and the WP40. My friend has a 40 on his 125 and it is more than enough flow on its own. For your aquarium i would recommend a WP25 adjacent with your existing pump. IMO a WP40 would be overkill and have to be turned way down. If your glass is not to thick, i would go with the WP25. it will add a generous amount of flow without blowing your coral/sand around. Do a quick google search and you can see many youtube videos on this line of pumps. If you decide not to go this route, a large koralia would also work well. Adding more flow usually always benefits the tank. Also i have learned that over long periods of time ( 10 years in your case) live rock can become impacted with detritus like your pores. Because of the age of your tank it would be good practice to add good mechanical filtration and turkey baste all of your live rock. This action in nature usually occurs in strong storms that really churn up the water and remove waste deep from the pores of your rock. Good luck!

Scribe
07/26/2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I just ordered a WP25. Hopefully it will help out.

Scribe
07/27/2013, 05:22 PM
Slight update. Pump from the sump to the main is a Mag 12. Had to dig out the box. Also looks like the rebuilt tunze 6060 died again today. Looks like another pump will have to be ordered to run with the wp25 when it arrives.

Scribe
07/27/2013, 05:30 PM
Maybe replace mag 12 with a mag 18 to two loc line returns. Currently the mag 12 goes to one tank return.