PDA

View Full Version : snail questions

robotman
07/24/2013, 08:00 PM
so i saw 2 very small snails, one had a round back and two tentacles on the front, looked like a very very very small turbo, and the other had a cone, maybe a baby nassarius snail, anyone have their turbos and nassarius snails having babys?

ReachTheSky
07/26/2013, 10:42 AM
I think most snails are hermaphrodites which means they do not need a partner to reproduce. It's very common for them to have spawning events or lay eggs on aquarium walls.

I doubt Turbo and Nassarius snails would mate or be capable of mating with each other. They're not even in the same superfamily.

robotman
07/26/2013, 07:26 PM
I think most snails are hermaphrodites which means they do not need a partner to reproduce. It's very common for them to have spawning events or lay eggs on aquarium walls.

I doubt Turbo and Nassarius snails would mate or be capable of mating with each other. They're not even in the same superfamily.

I asked that wrong, i meant separately, could either have babies by themselves that quickly, and have you seen the young grow bigger.

pagojoe
07/26/2013, 08:33 PM
The tiny Turbos are probably Collonista snails, or some of their tiny relatives. They often reproduce in reef tanks. As for the ones that look like Nassarius, they could be one of a couple of small Nassarius species, or something else entirely. But, rather than reproducing, it's more likely that they came into your tank as tiny juveniles, and are just now large enough that you are seeing them. Most of them have pelagic reproductive stages that make aquarium breeding very unlikely.

Cheers,

Don

squishifishi
07/31/2013, 10:12 PM
if theres no snorkel, its not a nass, but could be a small cerith snail.